The First Key

8 Keys

Uncrumpling the paper in her hand, Jieun read over the note again and her eyes were drawn to the last line:

 

The first key is whereI first said, "I love you."

 

Jieun stared at his words, written in his beautiful handwriting. Is this some sort of sick joke? He wants me to go back to the first place he said, “I love you,” when he is breaking up with me? No, he must have a reason. I know Kris. He is the sweetest man I have ever known, the only man I have ever loved. I suppose I can do this one thing for him, I’m sure he isn’t asking me this out of some twisted desire to see me hurt...

 

Jieun wiped her tears away with the back of her hand, and held back a sob. I still can’t believe.... I can’t believe that he wants to break up...

 

Regardless of the pain she was feeling, Jieun had a mission. She had to find all 8 keys so that she could see what kind of excuse Kris made up to justify the fact that he was breaking up with her. Tears streaming down her face, she thought of the very first time Kris told her that he loved her. She was 18, he was 19, and it was their one month anniversary.

 

-------

“Jieun! Let’s go for a walk, okay?” Kris grabbed her hand and tugged her off of the comfy couch where she was lounging. She pouted, “Kris! I was so comfy and besides, it’s already 9 at night. It’s a bit late to go for a walk.”

 

“Jieunnie,” Kris pleaded, his puppy dog eyes irresistible, “Jieun, will you pretty please go on a walk with me?”

 

Jieun gave Kris a small smile, “Fine. But only because you are so cute.”

 

Kris laced his fingers with Jieun’s and flashed pearly white teeth in her direction. They made their way outside and into the cool September air. The sky was a bluish black, stars twinkling faintly above their heads while lamp posts running down the street illuminated the concrete sidewalks.

 

“Where are we going?” Jieun asked, curiosity getting the best of her.

 

“You’ll see.” The tall man holding her hand squeezed it comfortingly, “I’m sure you’ll like it though.”

 

She nodded and looked around at her surroundings. They were walking past large, white houses with well-groomed lawns and porch lights giving off a warm glow. She was very familiar with the neighbourhood, and from the direction they were walking she guessed that he was probably taking her to the park. Her hunch was correct. They made their way past the empty playground and the sandbox that still had abandoned toys left in it. He took her to a bench across from a small pond and made her sit down.

 

“Jieunnie. You know what today is, right?” Kris asked her seriously, and she nodded, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

 

“It’s our one month anniversary.”

 

He squeezed her hand again before reaching into his pocket, pulling out a small silver bracelet that shone under the artificial lamps in the park. She held out her wrist, not daring to breathe, as he slipped it on her arm and closed the clasp tightly. Jieun held the bracelet up to her eyes and noticed a small heart charm dangling off of it, the inscription reading, “Forever and Always.”

 

“Jieunnie. I want you to know that I am so glad we are together. I can’t believe that you ever agreed to go out with me, but I am so happy you did.... Jiuen. I-I love you.” It was Kris’ turn to blush, and he looked away out of embarrassment. A small tear slipped down Jieun’s face, not out of sadness but because she was so happy.

 

“I-I love you too, Kris.”

 

-------

 

Jieun walked down the familiar sidewalk, following the same path that she took with Kris that night. It was cold, but all Jieun was wearing was a pair of jeans and a light turtleneck sweater. She didn’t feel the cold, she was already numb on the inside. She made it to the park, past the empty playground and the sandbox filled with abandoned construction projects, and made her way to the bench that held so many memories for her. It looked normal, and Jieun didn’t notice anything different. What am I supposed to look for? What does the key look like?

 

She sat down on the worn wooden bench and placed her head in her hands and closed her eyes, Why am I even doing this? She knew the answer to her question... It’s because she had to know, she needed to know why he left with no warning when everything between them seemed perfect. She opened her eyes with a sigh and gasped, there was something small under the bench, and she could see the edge of it. Getting on her hands and knees on the cool concrete, she pulled out a small wooden box from underneath the seat.

 

Is this what Kris wanted me to find? Jieun flipped the small metal latch that was holding the box shut and opened it carefully to find a small silver key with the number 1 etched into the surface, as well as a note.

 

The second key is where we used to hide at midnight.