The Note

8 Keys

Light refracted softly against Jieun’s smooth, pale skin. The drapes fluttered slightly, and a cool breeze swept over her. Lying on the large king sized mattress, Jieun looked like a child. Her long eyelashes fluttered slightly, and she opened her large, brown eyes. Sitting up, she looked around and was disappointed to find herself alone. Where did Kris go? She sighed and slipped out from beneath the fluffy duvet, her feet greeting the cold hardwood floor with a soft thud.

 

Dressed in one of her boyfriend’s large shirts, she walked from the bedroom and into the kitchen. Her eyes swept over the room and she pouted when she realized that Kris wasn’t there.

 

“Where could he be?” Jieun muttered under her breath, starting to become annoyed. Stupid man. Her eyes fell on a small, wooden box resting on the marble counter. A small piece of paper was lying on the lid, and Jieun ran over to examine it. Is this a note from Kris? She picked up the delicate sheet of paper and began to read...

 

Dear Jieun,

I am so sorry. You have no idea how much it hurts for me to say this, but I think we need to end this relationship.

 

Jieun’s hands were trembling, and tears slipped down her face. She couldn’t believe what was happening. Kris was the love of her life, her soul mate. They made a promise to be together forever, and now he was breaking up with her? She didn’t want to read the rest, but she made herself.

 

I know that it hurts. I don’t want to do this... but I must. I don’t want to be the cause of your tears, and if we stay together I know I will see too many of them.

I’m sorry, Jieun....

If you can find the 8 keys to this box, and open it, then you will understand why I had to do this. Please, please do it. It’s the most important thing I have ever asked of you. I understand if you hate me right now, Jieun, but it’s more important than you could ever imagine.

The first key is where I first said "I love you."

~Kris

 

Jieun crumpled the small piece of paper in her equally small hands, her petite body trembling. From anger or shock, she didn’t know. She didn’t care. How could Kris do something like this? It makes no sense.... We were perfectly happy together. I mean, sure, we had a few fights but all couples do! I thought he was even going to be proposing soon. I must have been an idiot for thinking that we were meant to be...

 

Jieun didn't want to look for the keys, but she felt that she needed to. She wanted to know the reason Kris decided to leave her out of the blue. She needed to know his secret.