HS = Hyun Saeng

Eternal Flame

"Kyu... I feel kinda bad..."

The younger boy blinked owlishly at the older. "Uh... Why?"

Sighing, Hyunjoong closed his eyes and leaned his head back on his arm chair. "I met this human boy named Kyuyoung and I think..." the cheeks turned rosy. "I think I like him."

Kyujong's eyes widened in surprise. "You like a boy from the Day class? You know that that's not acceptable!" Somehow, to him, this scene seemed extremely familiar, it was like deja vu.

The older vampire nodded yet his eyes were still wavering. "I know already but every morning, I can't help but go to the window to see him go to school and every afternoon, I watch him go back to his dorms! I just can't help it!"

The younger boy rolled his eyes and scoffed. "Hyung, you're already engaged with Nicole. You can't go falling in love with another person now, even if it is a guy from the Day class. It is forbidden and that's that! You have to understand that you're a vampire. You can't break the peace between the two species that the vampires have finally achieved after thousands of years of war."

Pouting, Hyunjoong looked down as he fiddled with his hands. "I know, I know... But somehow, my heart doesn't seem to beat as fast as when I'm with Nicole... It's like... When I see him and days before, I met him by coincidence at night downstairs, my heart felt as if it was going to leap out of my chest! It was so nervewracking and I don't know why but it's not like that when I'm with Nicole."

"It used to be though."

Hyunjoong shrugged. "I guess... I don't even remember the times when it did."

Kyujong let out a breath. "Hyung, just accept the fact that you two can't be together and fall out of love with him. You can't go sacrificing your whole life just to be with that guy. Anyways, a human lives in the day. Vampires live in the night. We're completely different."

The older boy sighed and nodded again. "Araetda..." He stood up, his head hung low. "I'm going back to my room. Hyunsaeng should be awake by now."

Kyujong stood up with him. "Don't forget what I said. It'll be dangerous if you try to get close to him. If you can't control yourself, you may turn him into a vampire."

Hyungjun sat on Hyunjoong's bed alone with Hyunsaeng beside him. Through his bat, he could hear every single word, every detail that happened in the conversation. When he heard the door of Kyujong's room open, he quickly whistled softly as his bat flew through the crack of the door and landed on his shoulder, screeching. Hyungjun glared at the bat and immediately, it fell silent.

"Is Hyunsaeng still asleep?" Hyunjoong's voice came from the door as he opened it and shut it behind him.

The younger boy nodded and stood up. "Did you keep the ring I gave you?"

Hyunjoong slipped it out of his pocket, gazing at it. "I... can't seem to throw it away. I don't know where it's from or whose it is but it seems precious."

His smile hidden, Hyungjun patted his friend on the shoulder before walking past him and out of the room. Hyunjoong furrowed his eyebrows at the vampire but then shrugged it off and turned back to his son, who was stirring.

Hyunjoong hurried over and watched as Hyunsaeng slowly opened his eyes and grinned when he saw his father hovering above him. The older boy smiled when he saw the cute, symmetrical dimples on the toddler's cheeks. The warm smile from Hyunsaeng filled that unknown crack in his heart.

"Appa," Hyunsaeng squealed as Hyunjoong gently lifted up his son onto his lap.

The toddler spotted something in Hyunjoong's hand and reached out for it. Hyunjoong let his son look at it and immediately, Hyunsaeng began to turn it around and around in his tiny clumsy hands, as if inspecting it.

"Mommy," Hyunsaeng suddenly remarked, causing Hyunjoong to stiffen.

Quickly taking the ring away from his son, he asked him. "Who is Youngsaeng?"

Hyunsaeng brightened and grinned even wider, as if extremely happy to be asked about that person again. "Mommy! He's my mommy!"

Hyunjoong's eyes widened and he looked at his ring and the other ring. "Youngsaeng... is your mom...? Then who is Nicole? What is Nicole to you?"

The little boy frowned and huffed as he looked away, crawilng off Hyunjoong's lap, as if not even wanting to hear that name. Hyunjoong was incredibly confused.

Hyungjun, who was back in his room, closed his eyes and watched the scene again through his bat. He had left it secretly in the room where they couldn't sense it and eavesdropped on them.

"Hyunsaeng, Nicole is your mom. Whoever this boy is, Youngsaeng, he's not your mother," Hyunjoong tried to persuade. Hyunsaeng shook his head obstinately. "No! I don't like her! Evil woman!"

"Hyunsaeng--" Hyunjoong cut himself off and began to murmur to himself. Everything was falling into place. "Hyunjoong... Youngsaeng... Hyunsaeng..." His eyes widened and he shot up, running over to his desk and grabbed a piece of paper and writing down the names.

현중 (hyunjoong) 영생 (youngsaeng)

He circled the first letter of his name and the last letter of the other name. 현생 (hyunsaeng). That was his son's name. Was the name made by simply mixing these two names together? Now it made sense. The two rings and that strange warmth he always felt. A boy named Youngsaeng. All he had to do now was to somehow find him.

"Hyunsaeng," he started as he got up from his seat and went back over to his son. "Do you know where Youngsaeng is?"

The little toddler shook his head with a sad pout, his gaze sorrowful. "Mollayo... I miss him..."

The older boy sighed and brought his son into his arms. "Are you really sure he is your mother?"

Hyunsaeng nodded immediately, his eyebrows furrowed. Hyunjoong smiled. "I'll find him for you, arasseo?"

The latter nodded again eagerly, the cheerful grin printed back on his face. Hyunjoong sighed and smirked, placing his son back down on the bed. "Tell me what you know about Youngsaeng? Was he close to you? Close to me? Did I give him the ring?"

Hyunsaeng glanced at the ring, reaching for it again. Hyunjoong gave it to him and sat in front of him, gazing at him expectingly. Suddenly, a voice from the door cut in.

"Just what can you expect out of a mere toddler?" It was Hyungjun, who was walking in, his bat flying to him.

Hyunjoong noticed the bat and narrowed his eyes at the boy. "You were eavesdropping?"

Hyungjun rolled his eyes. "Oh, I wonder what this bat was for." He became stern again. "Do you really think Hyunsaeng will be able to tell you everything with the limited amount of words he knows?"

"What do you suppose I'm supposed to do then? This suspense is killing me! I don't know who this person is yet I gave a ring to him! Not to mention, a boy! Is he a vampire? I don't know! He may be even human!" exclaimed Hyunjoong in frustration. "How come I can't remember anything?"

Sighing, Hyungjun walked over to the bed and sat down on the other side of Hyunsaeng. "There is only one thing I will tell you about him. Nothing more. I will not tell even if you ask me, beg me, or even threaten."

Hyunjoong knotted his eyebrows. "You... You know him?"

The latter let out a long breath. "Yeah, I know him. He knows you, too and you know him. It's just that you can't remember him. You have already met him again, from what I've heard from your conversations. That's all I will say."

The older boy raised an eyebrow. "And where's the clue?"

Hyungjun smirked. "I told you, that's all I'm telling you. If you manage to get Hyunsaeng to learn enough words to explain in more detail before the midnight of November 3rd, then it's your win. If you can't find who he is by then, then let's hope you will never remember him."

"Wait! Hyungju--"

But the vampire disappeared into a puff of black smoke, leaving the curious toddler and the speechless vampire in the room.