Silver Eye

Eternal Flame

Youngsaeng and Hyunjoong turned to the door and saw the Headmaster walking towards them.

"An-annyeonghaseyo!" the younger boy exclaimed as he quickly got off the bed and bowed.

"This guy knows?" the Headmaster asked Hyunjoong.

The latter nodded as he got Youngsaeng to sit back down on the bed. "I found out how."

"Oh? Really?"

"Youngsaeng-ah, can you tell him yourself?" Hyunjoong requested.

The boy nodded and swallowed nervously. He bent down his head and with his index and middle finger, he brought them up to his eyes and took out contacts. After that, he reluctantly looked up again at the Headmaster. The man gasped in surprise. "Silver eyes? In both?"

Hyunjoong gazed at the boy's eyes and was reminded of Youngsaeng, the fox. How come this boy's eyes also remind me of Saengie...? Not just the touch... It's the same color, the same icy stare. It's so strange... It's as if Saengie is looking right at me right now. 

"What's your name?" the Headmaster asked the young silver-eyed boy.

"Y-Youngsaeng..." the latter replied nervously.

"Youngsaeng-ah, why didn't you tell me about this sooner? I could've sent you to the Genetics school."

The boy shook his head. "Please don't send me there... I don't want to become an exorcist..."

"Oh? Why?" the man questioned.

"It's... private..." was the answer.

The Headmaster took a chair from the side of the room and sat down in front of Youngsaeng and Hyunjoong, beginning to take notes. He also dug out a laptop out of his bag and opened it, typing something.

"I found you on my database," he began. "In here, it says that your mother and father are both dead. Your grandmother and grandfather live outside of Seoul. Your... great-grandmother and great-grandfather live somewhere in the countryside. They're still alive?"

Youngsaeng nodded. "Neh... My family have long lifespans. Their blood is strong."

The Headmaster thought for a while. "If their blood is strong, then that means yours is too, right?"

The boy nodded again and looked at his wrists. He began to untie the knot of the bandage. Hyunjoong's eyes widened and his hands immediately moved to stop him. "What are you doing? Don't take it off yet."

"No, let him," the elder man cut in. "He's showing us something."

Youngsaeng unwrapped the bandage slowly and showed them his wrist. It was perfectly healed. No cuts, no bleeding, no bruises, no raw flesh, everything was fine. The man furrowed his eyebrows in puzzlement and looked at Hyunjoong. "Are you sure his wrists were cut when you found him?"

Hyunjoong nodded in shock. "Yes! Of course! They were bleeding badly, the skin was ripped off and it was purple and blue with bruises."

"It healed already," Youngsaeng interrupted quietly as he also took off the the other one. "My blood heals my wounds faster than normal. It's been like that for a while."

"Then why do you refuse to become an exorcist?" the Headmaster questioned again. 

"That's... still private..."

"Well... Since with your eyes, you can see auras of vampires and demons considerably well, is it alright if you join the Night class?"

"Eh? But there are vampires in the Night class!" Hyunjoong objected in surprise.

"Yes, but he doesn't belong in the Day class. With his eyes and his ability to heal, he can join you guys when the Demon Marathon begins."

Youngsaeng's eyes flickered to the Headmaster, his eyes showing a tint of fear. "Demon... Marathon...?"

The Headmaster nodded. "Yes, it's when the top 7 exorcists of each Genetic and the vampires gather together to hunt down demons. They are already harmful to our society as they disguise themselves as humans and like to kill. Hyunjoong's father, a few other important figures of the country, and I gather together and keep count of how many demons each person kills in that one night."

"How old are you?" Hyunjoong asked Youngsaeng.

"I'm sixteen. Turning seventeen in 3 to 4 days..."

Hyunjoong noticed that the boy's eyes suddenly fell, as if remembering something ill that was connected to his birthday. But Youngsaeng turned to the Headmaster. "But... I'm not a vampire... The Night class is only for vampires, right?"

"I'll make you an exception," the Headmaster assured and stood up. "That's all for today then. Go and introduce yourself to the others while I get your new uniform ready. Also, Youngsaeng-ah."

"Neh."

"Later, come to my office and give me a description of those bullies. They deserve a punishment."