In The Past

Divided In Half

(Jongin`s P.O.V.)

 

~14 Years Old~

 

“In the past our Island’s people were divided into two sides “Light and Dark”. There were lots of wars between the two sides until it was getting hard to supply the villagers with enough food and water to survive while the war was going on, that’s when both sides came to an agreement to split the sides by using the lake and river that run through the center of the island to separate both sides. The only rule that we have to follow now is that we cannot go into the light’s territory.  You understand this children you can go to the river or the lake but do not cross to their side and if you see one of them there don’t talk to those people they are good and it’s just disgusting. Now class is dismissed go do whatever you want” The teacher excuses us from the class.

 

As I am walking out of the class I spot my friend walking just ahead of me and I call out.

 

“Hey Sehun, wait up” He stops and turns to look at me.

 

“Hey Jongin” He says when I catch up to him.

 

“What did you think of that class Sehun” I ask “I think I have that story memorized by now I have heard it so many times it’s getting annoying” I laugh.

 

“Yeah, but do you really think that the people on the other side are “disgusting”” Sehun asks me.

 

“I don’t know I’ve never met one, why do you ask have you met one Sehun” I ask curiously.

 

“No, no I was just curious, any ways I have to go now so bye, see you tomorrow” He says before running off towards the forest.

 

‘Why is he going that way, oh well must be some reason’ I think as I start to head the direction of my house.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

~16 Years Old~

 

“Today we are taking Byun Baekhyun to be turned over to the light side because he was born with the ability of light and that does not belong here, I will not tolerate having a light living on the dark side so we will set out in 5 minutes if the parents want to say goodbye I will let you. Any others must be present for the departure.” The mayor of our village says as he is standing at the podium I look to Baekhyun's parent's and they don't seem to be moving to say good bye 'Typical' I think.

 

I look over to my friends, I see Sehun and he looks a little worried I tap my hand on his back as to tell him to stay emotionless so they don’t send him away with Baekhyun, then I look over at Minseok who as always looks like he has no care in the world ‘holding it in again I see” I think among all of us he was the closest to Baekhyun, in fact the three of us were the only ones that ever hung out with Baekhyun because he was supposed to be shunned by everyone in the village, even though he was born here they all just hate him cause he was born with the power of light.

 

‘It’s not fair there was nothing wrong with him I just don’t understand this whole light and dark thing it doesn’t make any sense at all. If Baekhyun is supposed to be a light, is that how all lights are? if so I don’t see anything wrong with them.’ I think before my thoughts are interrupted by the mayor beginning to say something.

 

“Okay, the 5 minutes are up we will now depart” The mayor leaves the podium and walks over to the boat at the dock. I look towards Baekhyun, he has no emotions.

 

‘still acting like us till the very end why don’t you be upset you have the right to now’ I think but Baekhyun still looks emotionless as he walks into the boat and it takes off into the lake. Then when the boat was out of sight, Sehun who is standing beside me and I walk over to where Minseok is.

 

“Hey Minseok, want to go to our usual place in the woods?” I ask and he nods and we head to our secret spot in the forest where we would go whenever we would hang out with Baekhyun. When we arrive we now have some privacy from the rest of the village.

 

“I don’t understand Baekhyun was one of us, he was the same as us, who cares if he was born with light as his power. I’m so worried, what if they don’t treat him right on the light side” Minseok says. Minseok always acts so emotionless in the village but I think he is the most caring person there is, he always takes care of us when he can.

 

“Don’t worry Minseok I’m sure he will be fine, nothing will happen to him” I say trying to calm Minseok down. Then all of a sudden Sehun breaks down falling to his knees and starts crying. Minseok quickly runs over to Sehun to comfort him.

 

“What’s wrong Sehun, don’t cry everything will be fine” He says.

 

“Bu-but what if they f-find out” Sehun says still crying.

 

“Find out about what? Sehun” Minseok asks. ‘what is Sehun talking about?’ I think as I walk over to where Sehun and Minseok are sitting on the ground and lean up against a nearby tree.

 

“I-I am fr-friends with” Sehun says starting to calm down.

 

“Yes?” Minseok says trying to get Sehun to finish.

 

“Someone f-from the l-light” he says this so quietly that Minseok doesn’t hear it but I did ‘what’s going on how did he become friends with someone on the light?’ I think to myself as I hear Minseok asking him to repeat himself.

 

“I said that, what if they find out that I am friends with someone on the light side” Sehun says again this time Minseok heard him.

 

“Your friends with someone on the light side?” Minseok repeats sounding disbelieving of this fact but Sehun just nods in response and then puts his head down.

 

“How did you become friends with someone on the light side?” I ask.

 

“We met at the river, I was about 10 when I met him I didn’t think it would be bad to talk to him at first but I was still young and didn’t really understand that we weren’t supposed to interact with the other side. Then we became friends and it was fun hanging out with him so even though now I’m older we still hang out sometimes but I’m worried now, what if someone finds us and then they confine me here or something I don’t know what to do.” He says and then starts crying again. Minseok gives him a hug and try’s to calm him down.

 

“Don’t worry no one will find out and Jongin and I will keep this a secret okay Sehun, you don’t have to worry.”

 

“Yeah Sehun nobody ever checks along the river or lake so no one will ever see you and there is no way either of us would tell on you. We don’t care if we are supposed to, we are not like everyone else in the village, we care about you and we don’t want you to get locked up or anything else.” I say as I sit down in front of them and join in the hug. When we pull away from the hug Sehun looks at us and dry’s his eyes before speaking,

 

“Thanks guys, I appreciate it” We sit there for a while and Sehun tells us about Luhan which is the name of the boy Sehun met at the river, then when Sehun doesn’t look like he had been crying we head back into the village.

 

'What a long day, this whole light and dark is so exhausting' I think as we get back to the village.