Messages

Tending the Roses

"...and it turned out that Kyuhyun is allergic to roses! How sad is that. Now if he's going to confess to a girl, he can't even give her roses."

"That's perfectly fine! I'm going to find a girl who's allergic to roses, too. Oh, and she should be allergic to gold or silver."

"Why?"

"Because then I don't have to by her gold or silver accessories. Imagine all the money I save!" Kyuhyun exclaimed. Yoona narrowed her eyes and smacked him with her bag. Taecyeon chuckled as they walked to school. It had been a couple of days since Kyuhyun pricked his finger, and fortunately for Taecyeon, the two managed to be just fine. He still felt bad for lying to them, but it was still better than letting Myungsoo meet up with her.

Still, why am I so against Myungsoo getting involved with Yoona? He's still a young boy. It's not like a younger guy can get married with an older girl, right? he thought, trying to think reasonably.

"Noona, when we grow up, let's get married!" A couple not too far from them were chatting among themselves. Taecyeon almost choked on his own spit when he heard the older woman respond with a shy "Yes." 

Okay, so maybe age is just a number, he decided. Still, Myungsoo is interested in Naeun. So there's absolutely no way that those two can like each other!

"Taecyeon, you're such a slow-poke. Come on, I don't want to sit around any longer!" Yoona complained.

He looked up, then nodded his head. "I'm coming, I'm--"

"Oh, Myungsoo!" Her attention was focused on the younger boy, who was approaching them unconsciously. He looked up, and smiled fondly at Yoona.

"Hello," he greeted her, bowing. He looked at Taecyeon and the other unfamiliar face. 

"Who's he?" Kyuhyun asked, examining the boy's handsome features.

"He's Myungsoo, and he's a genius when it comes to plants. He has a crush on his childhood friend," Yoona spoiled, smirking. Myungsoo's cheeks turned red.

"Y-You said you wouldn't tell!" he exclaimed, getting embarrassed.

"Oh, it's Kyuhyun. He doesn't know anything about love," Yoona assured him.

"Well, I know a thing or two that can get the ladies' attentions, but my charms will be used for special occasions," the curly-haired boy said, being obnoxious. Yoona groaned and rolled her eyes in annoyance. She smirked at him and crossed her arms.

"As if you had any charm in the first place," she mocked him. She turned to Myungsoo. "This guy's Kyuhuyn, the game-freak."

"I prefer the term 'pro.'"

"Whatever."

"Where's Naeun?" Taecyeon asked, stepping into the conversation. He felt that he was excluded from the small chat. Myungsoo suddenly looked annoyed.

"She's with a couple of friends on a group date with guys from another school. I went to follow her--"

"You stalked her?"

"I said, 'follow.' Anyways, I followed her and saw that she was doing fine and having fun. She got real close to this one guy who looks awkwardly cute," he said.

He's jealous, the three high school students thought.

"Do you know the guy she's getting along with?" Yoona asked, enjoying the story.

"Lee Taemin. I know him because one time he came into our school dressed as a girl and stole a girl's button while jumping out of a window. The teachers don't know anything about this. Only the guys at our school and his school knows," the middle school student explained.

"Is he cute?"

"Didn't I just say that he looks awkwardly cute? I mean, all the girls go crazy over him, but he's too skinny. I bet you that a Chihuahua can jump on him and knock him down with just a light push."

"Getting close to a girl doesn't necessarily mean that one loves her. It can just be an interest," Kyuhyun pointed out. He gestured his hand to Yoona and Taecyeon. "Take these two. They're stuck together like glue, but that doesn't mean they're lovers. Just friendship." He paused, then gave Taecyeon a suspicious look. "Although interest in friendship can turn a pair into a couple..."

"What madness are you trying to put in the poor boy's mind?" Yoona cried out, stepping on his shoes. "Apologize right now! He should be dead worry about his future with Naeun!"

"Woah, we got a fan girl over here!" Taecyeon added, laughing while he watched Kyuhyun hop on one foot. Myungsoo forced a small chuckle.

"It's fine. I'm hoping that she doesn't get too close with him, though. It'd be nice if they remained as friends... or strangers," Myungsoo slowly added.

Yoona gave him a light punch. "That's so mean! You can't pull her away from making friends with guys!"

Kyuhyun gave Taecyeon a small nudge. "Ooh, there was skin ship right there!"

Taecyeon glared at him and pushed him away. "Knock it off! You're acting really weird."

"Maybe... or maybe you're acting weird," he teased. 

"Cho Kyuhyun!" Taecyeon suddenly shouted, causing Yoona and Myungsoo to stop their conversation. "Do you want to die?"

Kyuhyun only stuck his tongue out, and ran down the street, followed by Taecyeon. Yoona bit her bottom lip, muttered how childish those two were, and bid Myungsoo a goodbye before taking off. Myungsoo watched them run off, then scratched this head.

"Are they really in high school or what?" he muttered before walking away.

 

On Monday, Yoona woke up extra early. Her alarm clock hadn't gone off yet, so she decided to stare at the ceiling. She remembered how she last met Myungsoo, and what a downer he was when it came to Naeun making friends with a guy. In her opinion, she thought that he wasn't reacting to the situation maturely. A girl being friends with a guy was perfectly fine! Why was he so possessive, even though he wasn't her boyfriend? They were only childhood friends for now, right?

I'm so glad Taecyeon isn't like that, she thought, turning her body around. Her thoughts were suddenly filled with Taecyeon. He seemed pretty dazed a few days ago. Although he said that he was fine, he walked pretty slowly and frowned as if he was in a deep thought. She had planned to ask him what was wrong, but then she felt that she would invade his private thoughts. After all, boys loved their privacy.

Still, I'm pretty curious. Yoona heaved a sigh and closed her eyes. She threw her cold arm over her eyes and rested in that position for a few minutes.

It was then when she heard her phone, which was on top of her messy desk, vibrate once or twice. She got up, knowing exactly who it was: Taecyeon.

Speak of the devil, she thought, smirking.

Taecyeon: Good morning, Yoona!
Taecyeon: Make sure you don't oversleep. I'm picking you up at six, okay?

She took the chance to send him another message.

Yoona: Good morning, Taecyeon! ^_^ Try to put some emoticons in your text, okay?

It wasn't a surprise to find another text after a few minutes.

Taecyeon: What the... You're awake? Then should we head to school early?
Yoona: At five in the morning? You're kidding me... -_-
Taecyeon: Why? We might as well get ready while we're up.
Yoona: My mom's going to wake up... T__T
Taecyeon: Do you want to come to my house? My dad's not here, and my mom went for an early jog.

Oh yeah, Taecyeon's dad is a business man, she remembered. Yoona had seen his father once when she was younger, and she remembered him being one of the friendliest dads she had ever met. It was a pity to know that Mr. Ok always had to go somewhere far and stay there for a couple of weeks. Maybe that's why Taecyeon is a bit feminine?

Her phone vibrated.

Yoona: Nah, it's fine. I'll just go wash us quietly. You go and get ready while your mom isn't there.
Taecyeon: Okay. See you...
Taecyeon: Wait, I feel like you're thinking about me... in a bad way.
Taecyeon: Are you thinking that I'm like my mom or something?

Yoona stared at the two new messages. Then, she threw her phone on the bed and walked over to the sink to get ready.

She definitely wasn't going to answer his last question.