Preparing Dinner

Tending the Roses

After six hours of getting comfortable in the cabin and setting the food for dinner, it was finally six. The sun was still up, but the sky was slowly turning orange. The girls were in charge of preparing the food, while the guys were sent off to collect some more woods. While Mrs. Son washed the lettuce at a sink farther away from the two other girls, Yoona decided to take this chance to ask Naeun about her feelings towards Myungsoo.

"So, Naeun," Yoona started, chopping some onions, "what do you think about Myungsoo?"

"What do you think about Taecyeon?" the younger woman fired back. Yoona stopped chopping and stared at Naeun, who focused on chopping the vegetables like an expert. She watched the little girl swiftly use the knife to dice the carrots and slice the cucumbers in perfect pieces. 

"Well, I'm just asking if you had any feelings toward Myungsoo," Yoona said.

"Myungsoo's just a friend. Unless..." Naeun stopped chopping and looked up. "Unless you like him."

"No, no," Yoona said, shaking her head. "Myungsoo's just a friend to me."

 

Out in the woods, Myungsoo clutched his heart. He sneezed four times, then rubbed his nose. Taecyeon, who was with him, looked up after dropping some wood on a small wagon Mr. Son had brought with them.

"You okay? Are you allergic to nature or something?" Taecyeon asked, turning away to collect more dry sticks.

"I feel like someone's talking about me, and I feel like I'm friend-zones or something," Myungsoo explained. Taecyeon paused, then let out a soft chuckle. He smiled and dumped some more wood in the rusting wagon.

"That's probably Yoona," Taecyeon said. "I sneeze a lot whenever she talks about me. Actually, I sneeze every time she says my name. Her friends that it's a 'special connection' that she has between her and her friends."

"That's the strangest thing I've ever heard!"

"Yoona's the strangest thing I've met! If you can find someone stranger than Yoona, make sure to tell me first. Who knows, we might win an award for finding the 'strangest person alive!'" Taecyeon joked.

Myungsoo scowled. "Does Yoona even know that you talk about her like this?"

"Whatever she says about me is worse," the other man said, heaving a sigh. "She keeps saying that I won't find a girlfriend and will stay lonely forever. It's so frustrating. All my friends ask for her number, but all her friends ask for my friend's number."

"Well, yeah. You look decent, nothing special," Myungsoo pointed out. He grabbed a stick and tossed it into the wagon. "That's why I can't accept the fact that Naeun has a crush on you and not me. There's nothing good about you that makes me envious of you!"

Taecyeon shrugged his shoulders. "Actually, there is one thing that makes you jealous of me."

"Like what?" Myungsoo asked, letting out a haughty scoff.

"The fact that Naeun likes me and not you?"

Just before Myungsoo could say anything, Mr. Son came with two heavy, yet small logs. He dropped the two woods in the wagon, then heaved a sigh. The old man rubbed his sore shoulders, and began to stretch a bit. After a minute of stretching, Mr. Son laughed and proudly smiled at the boys.

"I see that you did your best to collect dry wood," Mr. Son praised them. "Let's go back. The girls are probably ready to cook!"

Twenty minutes later, they had arrived at their cabin. Just like the father said, the girls were ready. There was a large rice cooker at the end of the table and several dishes were scattered among the wooden board. Two empty, large plates were set neatly near the middle, and everyone knew that the meat was going to be placed there. Mrs. Son looked up and rushed over.

"Hurry, hurry! The small fire the girls and I created is dying out!"

"You already started?" Taecyeon asked, pouting.

"Yes, yes. Yoona knew a lot about how to make a fire," the mother said. Taecyeon walked over to the small grill and raised an eyebrow.

"I thought camp wasn't your style," he reminded.

"Oh, so you did listen, but you still made me go to camp? Ha, thanks a lot, Taecyeon," Yoona said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. She pulled out a pocket pick and tapped it against his forehead. "Because I was so afraid that we were going to sleep on the ground, I read this entire book. You should've warned me that it would be more of a modern camp!"

"So? Camp is still camp," Taecyeon pointed out. 

Suddenly, Naeun popped in front of him with a piece of meat between her chopsticks. "Say 'ah,' Taecyeon!"

Before he got the chance to eat it, Myungsoo came out of nowhere and quickly ate the first piece. He shot Taecyeon a glare, and smiled at Naeun innocent, who glowered back. Taecyeon's stomach growled after the scent of meat wafted in the air. Yoona chuckled and reached a piece of lettuce and handed it to him.

"Here, chew on this while we try to cook this as fast as we can," Yoona said. For some reason, Taecyeon slowly blushed. He nodded his head and did exactly what Yoona told him to do.

It's summer. It's supposed to get this hot! he told himself, sweating a bit. He walked back to the adults, asking if he could help them. Naeun puffed her cheeks angrily and gave Myungsoo a nasty look.

"What was that for?" she asked, unconsciously breaking her chopsticks in half.

"Eating that piece of meat because..." I wanted to take the first bite, "it was terrible!"

Naeun gave him a doubtful look, then smiled. "Oh, thank goodness! If I fed Taecyeon something terrible, it's be horrifying! I shouldn't let Yoona help me cook the meat anymore, should I?"

"But it... fits my taste?" Myungsoo said, not wanting Yoona to get in trouble just because of his selfish intentions. Naeun sighed, then walked away to throw away her broken chopsticks. He, too, let out a sigh, then slowly sneaked behind Yoona. He heard her hum a small tune, then watched her turn out. Yoona, alarmed to see Myungsoo just a few inches away from her face, almost screamed.

"Why... Why are you so close to me! Come on, Myungsoo. Give me some personal space, will you?" Yoona snapped, walking over to the table. She pushed the meat from her tray to one of the empty trays.

"So? Did you get anything from Naeun about me?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah. I asked Naeun why she liked Taecyeon, and she said that he 'fits her.' I asked what you were to her, and she said that you guys were friends, then laughed. Then she asked if I liked you again, and--"

"Wait. She asked you twice?" Myungsoo asked.

"Is that big news or something?"

"What were you talking about before?"

Yoona paused, then thought hard. "Mm... I asked her what she thought of you, then she asked me what I thought of Taecyeon. Then she asked if I had any feelings towards Taecyeon."

"She must really be doubtful of your feelings toward Taecyeon. Naeun normally knows how to trust people. I guess she doesn't trust you..." Which means that she'll be ten times more serious over Taecyeon than before. Drats!

"Well, I do like Teacyeon, but not in that romantic way," she said, returning back to the grill. "My friends keep telling me that we like each other, but I just laugh it off."

"Aren't scared of falling in love with him?" Myungsoo asked.

"No way. I'm never falling in love with him! After seeing how pitiful you're love is with your childhood friend, I don't think either of us has the intention of falling in love with each other," Yoona explained. She giggled. "I can't imagine Taecyeon pinning me against the wall and acting jealous or taking me to some romantic place and confessing his love. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me feel sick!"

"I totally agree," Taecyeon said, still chewing on the piece of lettuce Yoona had given him. "I can't imagine Yoona acting all shy and blushing in front of me or her giving me chocolate on Valentine's Day."

"For your information, I always gave you pity chocolate," Yoona snapped.

"They weren't pity chocolate. They were late chocolate. Plus, you gave them to me on the month boys were supposed to give candies to the girls. You only give me those chocolates so that I can buy you some expensive candy," Taecyeon responded, smirking. He earned a hard smack on his arm when Yoona grew disappointed in him. She walked away while sticking her tongue, causing Taecyeon to stare at her in disbelief.

"Can you believe that such a girl exists?" Taecyeon asked.

"Then why are you grinning like an idiot?" Myungsoo questioned him.

Taecyeon stared at the man, who gave him a small mirror from his pocket. It was true; he had a grin displayed on his lips. Taecyeon was smiling, but for what? For successfully teasing Yoona? For winning an argument against her? Those were normal things he did with Taecyeon, but why was he immensely happy?

"Could it be that you were subconsciously flirting with her or something?" asked Myungsoo. 

There was a pause. Then, Taecyeon laughed and patted Myungsoo's head. Later, he chuckled and wiped off a tear from the corner of his eyes.

"Ah... That was a good laugh, Myungsoo. Me? Flirt with Yoona? No, I was just teasing," he replied. He smiled and walked off, mumbling, "Kids. Pft, they don't know anything."

Myungsoo shot Taecyeon a glare. "Well, I know a lot more things relating to love than you!"