Back to School

Tending the Roses

As summer vacation came to an end, it was already time to go back to school. Taecyeon, as usual, stood in front of Yoona's home, waiting for her to come back outside. She had ran back inside to grab her textbook, but it had been ten minutes since she was gone. The boy let out a puff of air and stared back at the house. He cupped his hand over his mouth, then took a deep breath.

"Im Yoona!" he called loudly. "We're going to be late!"

He heard some loud stomps, then a window at the left opened up. He scowled when he saw Yoona's messy hair and wide eyes. It was obvious that she was making a mess in the house, and that she couldn't find her math textbook.

"I'm so sorry, Taecyeon!" Yoona shouted back. "I lost my headphones!"

"Did you find the textbook?"

"Yeah!"

"Then get out of there!"

"But my headphones! I can't live without music!"

Taecyeon sighed and rolled his eyes. "I'm leaving!"

"You wouldn't."

Instead of saying anymore, Taecyeon turned around and began walking away. Seeing this, Yoona shot him a glare from the window, then closed it. He continued to walk in a rather slow motion, waiting for his friend to catch up with him. He glanced back, went for another minute. When he realized that Yoona was serious about her headphones, he heaved a loud sigh.

We're seriously going to be late if we keep this up, Taecyeon thought, shaking his head. He looked back and forth, then smiled to himself. Well, at least it's only two of us. Things wouldn't be so nice if those middle school kids came along.

As if on cue, Myungsoo came down the hill, running with a dumpling in his mouth. He looked up at Taecyeon, who gave him a wide-eyed stare. The two exchanged bitter greetings as they came closer to each other.

"Good morning, Taecyeon," Myungsoo said in a polite, formal tone.

"Morning," Taecyeon replied. "Why are you around this part of the neighborhood? Isn't your school far from here?"

"My cousin got lost after wandering around and she told me to pick her up somewhere around here. She was at her friend's house last night. When I came here, my cousin called back and said that she found her way so I'm running to school." He looked up at the house where Taecyeon stood in front of. "Who's house is this? Yours?"

"Nope. This is Yoona's house. My home is over there," Taecyeon replied, pointing at another nearby home. Myungsoo clicked his tongue and nodded his head as he admired how close these two friends were. He compared his home to where Naeun lived, which was pretty far away from his new home. He grimaced for a second, but then recalled something. Quickly, Myungsoo dug into his bag, and pulled out a pink set of headphones.

"Oh! I found these headphones at the garden over the summer. Is this yours? I asked Naeun, and she said that she wouldn't carry such a 'disgusting, cheap set of headphones.'"

"Nope. It's Yoona's, I bet. She lost her headphones and she's trying to find it right now," Taecyeon replied, glancing back at her home.

"Great! Let me drop this off and I'll be on my way--"

"No!"

Myungsoo stopped to blink. He tilted his head a bit to the side, confused about the sudden response. Taecyeon, without saying another word, swiftly took away the headphones and shoved it in his pocket. When he realized that he was acting rather strange, Taecyeon began to blush a bit and looked away.

"Uh... Y-You're going to be late. I'll just go and h-hand it off to her," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. Myungsoo paused, then nodded his head.

"Okay. That sounds pretty reasonable. Don't forget to mention that I found it!"

"Why?"

"Someone in my class told me that if you return something lost, then you'll be rewarded," Myungsoo replied cheekily. Taecyeon rolled his eyes and flicked his forehead.

"There's no way that Yoona's going to give you something. Now, hurry along!" he commanded. Myungsoo whimpered in pain, muttered something in a low voice, then ran off to school. Once Taecyeon was sure that he was gone, Taecyeon turned back to the house and cupped his cheeks with his hand

"Yoona! I found your headphones!" Taecyeon yelled. The door swung open, and Yoona appeared with a delightful expression. She quickly slipped on her shoes, and ran towards him.

"Where? Where?" she asked desperately. He pulled out the pink headphones, causing her to squeal with joy. "Thank you so much! You should've told me that you had it all the time."

Taecyeon raised an eyebrow. "What? No, I--"

"What do you want for lunch? I'll buy you anything!" she said, giving him a wide grin. Taecyeon slightly blushed, then looked away from her bright gaze.

"U-Uh... I-I'll think about it," he stuttered. The two began to walk away from the house, knowing that they were going to be right on time or extremely late to school. As they ran, Taecyeon would occasionally look at Yoona, then find himself somehow embarrassed to see her.

What in the world is going on with me? he wondered quietly.

 

A laugh was followed by a gently giggle that sounded like tiny bells. The class was in self-study, independently hiding their smiles behind their books, or forming a small, secret group by passing notes. The teacher wasn't at the classroom; he had to excuse himself to go to the office for an important phone call.

Naeun balanced her mechanical pencil on her upper lip, pursing her lips as if she was going to kiss someone in a strange manner. Her eyes wandered all over the classroom: to her friends, the teacher's desk, and sometimes even the window.

"Naeun... Son Naeun!" A low whisper behind her caught her attention. Naeun turned around, facing on of her friends. She frowned, surprised that she was actually called for.

"What's up, Suzy?" Naeun asked. Suzy grinned and used her finger to point at the man sitting two rows in front of them.

"Your little boyfriend is flirting with someone else! What're you going to do?" the brunette teased. Naeun rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"What am I going to do? First of all, he's just a friend. He has the freedom to flirt anyone." 

Another laugh escaped from his lips. Naeun narrowed her eyes, trying to get a good look of the girl he was talking to. She smirked when she realized that the girl was just as harmless as she was.

"It's just Soojung he's talking to. No big deal. Besides, those two are great friends," Naeun said, looking back at Suzy.

"I know, but still! Don't you feel kind of jealous or something? I don't even know how you can handle having a childhood friend! If I were you, I'd be raging," Suzy commented.

"You do realize that Soojung is our friend, right?"

"Okay, fine, but what if that girl was a complete stranger?"

For some reason, Yoona ran across her mind. Naeun quickly shook her head, then looked back at Myungsoo. There was a familiar tingling sensation running through her skin, but she ignored it when she thought of Taecyeon. She turned away and pretended to read her textbook.

"No one will find Myungsoo attractive or anything," she said.

"But what if--"

"Suzy, can we stop? This is getting really annoying."

With that, Suzy closed while leaving Naeun thinking about Myungsoo's future. She pressed her lips together, trying her best to ignore the husky laugh and the flirtatious giggle.