The Swelling

Tending the Roses

A week had passed by, and Naeun was excited. Today, Taecyeon was finally going to come to her house and help her with her homework and school subjects. Except today, in order to keep herself calm and composed, she brought her trusty friend with her: Myungsoo.

"Oh, so you're not going to the community garden today?" Taecyeon asked Myungsoo, setting down his books. Myungsoo rolled his eyes in annoyance. He sipped his water through a straw, then set down his glass cup on a coaster.

"I'm planning to go later when you leave," Myungsoo said. "After all, Naeun asked me to accompany her today."

"That's too bad, then," Taecyeon said, taking out his phone. "Yoona went to meet you at the garden. She's been talking about you a lot. I guess she took a lot of interest in gardening because of you."

Myungsoo's ears perked up. "Really? She's interested? I thought she'd get bored of seeing me at that garden. Naeun used to be really happy when I took care of the plants and gave some to her, but these days she's interested in studying and getting popular..."

"You talk a lot about Naeun. Do you like her that much?" Taecyeon asked in a low whisper. Myungsoo's cheeks turned red. Before he could answer, Naeun stepped into the living room with a tray of fruits and snacks. Her cheeks were slightly red, and she failed to notice how odd Myungsoo was acting. She quickly set the tray on the table, and sat near Taecyeon.

"I-I didn't know what you liked, so I just brought both," she stuttered quietly. Myungsoo rolled his eyes and took out his homework to complete. 

Taecyeon smiled at her. "Thank you, Naeun. You know, if Yoona was here, she'd eat all this by herself." He paused for a second. "Hey, do you mind if Yoona comes over? She's only a couple of minutes away from here."

Naeun frowned. She didn't want Yoonat her home, but that would displease Taecyeon. Myungsoo would've offered to go and pick her up, but he didn't want his crush and Taecyeon to be alone together. The two middle school students hesitated for a moment. Noticing this, Taecyeon cleared his throat and went back to his phone.

"Never mind. Your parents wouldn't like it if I brought another girl to one of my pupil's home. I'll just tell her to go home early," Taecyeon told them, his fingers gliding against the phone. Naeun and Myungsoo smiled, satisfied with Taecyeon's decision. Nauen quicky reached into her backpack and pulled out her folder.

"I did my homework, double-checked them, and asked my teacher to correct them. It's perfect, right?" Naeun asked. Taecyeon chuckled softly, and took her homework to check them. Myungsoo, knowing that there wasn't much he could do, took out his own assignments and began to start on his homework. There was a few minutes of silence.

During those few minutes, Naeun stared at Taecyeon's bold features with a dreamy expression. She liked the way his eyebrows scrunched up together whenever he was thinking, and he always had a serious expression to show how focused he was. Myungsoo, who saw this, tried to imitate Taecyeon by frowning and staring at his paper with a mysterious vibe.

If Naeun likes Taecyeon, then I'll just be like Taecyeon, he decided. The silence was interrupted when Taecyeon heard his phone ring. He sighed, and checked his phone. Naeun took a peek, and scowled.

It was a call from Yoona.

"I'm sorry," Taecyeon replied. "Just give me a second..."

Naeun pouted and nodded. Taecyeon stood up from his seat and stepped outside to talk to his friend privately. Leaving the two alone, he heaved a sigh and put his phone near his ear.

"What now, Yoona?" he asked, irritated.

"I met Kyuhyun, but he lives on the other side of our town, and I lost my way," Yoona replied with a hint of guilt in her voice. "I don't want to ask him for directions. He seems really busy, too."

"Where are you, then?"

"At the community garden. I haven't left, and Kyuhyun seems interested in the flowers--Oops."

"What? What happened?"

"Um, Kyuhyun stepped on some plants by accident, and he pricked his finger on one of the thorns," she reported. Taecyeon scratched the back of his head.

"Are you kidding me? I'm in the middle of helping a young girl, and I have to deal with you two--"

"No, you don't have to deal with us," Yoona interrupted. "You said that Myungsoo was with you in your text earlier, right?"

Taecyeon stiffened. "Yeah... What about him?"

"What do you mean by, 'What about him'? I need him! Can you ask him to come? Gosh, I was sure that I had the directions Myungsoo drew for me in my backpack..."

Taecyeon glanced at the door. As a responsible high school student, it would make sense for him to call an expert (in this case, Myungsoo) for some help. However, the thought of Myungsoo being with Yoona at the garden made his stomach churn.

"Uh... Myungsoo is busy," Taecyeon lied. "He's in the bathroom."

"It doesn't take guys that long to use the bathroom--"

"Oh, Naeun served him something old and stuff. Yeah, he's not doing so well, and it seems like he's not going to get any better soon. Anyways, Kyuhyun has a nice phone, so use his phone to search up what to do if you pricked your finger with a rose thorn," Taecyeon told her, ready to open the door.

"But Taecyeon, what about the flowers he stepped on--"

Taecyeon opened the door. "Sorry, Yoona. I got to go. Bye!"

He hung up, and closed the door behind him. Taecyeon heaved a sigh, and glanced at Naeun, who stared at him with sparkling eyes. He looked over at Myungsoo, who gave him a cold glare.

"Oh, I thought you left already," Myungsoo muttered, clearly disappointed to see Taecyeon.

"Um, no. I still have an hour left with Naeun," he replied, taking a seat. He took out his red pen and examined Naeun's schoolwork. Naeun slowly scootched over towards Taecyeon, causing Myungsoo to take a seat closer to her, too.

"So," Naeun began, "who was on the phone?"

"What phone?" Taecyeon asked, trying to occupy his mind with her assignment. He looked over at Myungsoo. "Hey, are you going to the garden any time soon?"

Myungsoo paused, then shrugged his shoulders. "Probably soon. Maybe after you leave?"

"Good," he replied. He glanced at the clock, which seemed to tick louder than before. Letting out another sigh, Taecyeon flipped the pages.

They'll be fine, Taecyeon thought. I mean, they're already in high school, right?

 

"Stupid Taecyeon!" Yoona shouted, glaring at Kyuhyun's phone. By now, Kyuhyun's finger was swelling up. He bit his bottom lip, nervous and confused.

"I-Is it supposed to swell up?" Kyuhyun asked. "It kind of hurts when I move it around."

"Stay still," Yoona replied, grabbing a hose from the ground. "I still need to see how I can find the answers without messing up your phone. Oh my gosh, why is your phone so slow?"

"You better hurry," Kyuhyun replied, getting up. "I don't know if this is supposed to be normal. Am I going to die?"

"No, you're not going to die. Just stay still! My goodness, what made you trip over your own feet and bleed?"

"That hose. You ought to clean up this place a little more."

"This isn't my place. It's Myungsoo's."

"That name sounds familiar... Oh! It's the guy Taecyeon mentioned earlier! The guy who's been bugging Taecyeon ever since he met him," Kyuhyun replied, cleaning his wound with the water coming out of the house. Yoona looked up from the small device. She tilted her head to the side, confused.

"Taecyeon doesn't like Myungsoo?" Yoona asked.

"Not exactly. I mean, maybe if Myungsoo takes a step forward in his love life, then Taecyeon might get a little overprotective of you," Kyuhyun said, giving her a small hint.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Yoona replied, "but I've figured out why it's swelling up!"

"Why? Is it infected?"

"No, it's a little worse," she said. She looked up from Kyuhyun's voice and pressed her lips. "You might be allergic."

He looked down at his finger, which was beginning to turn red. "Shoot. Do you think it's going to stop swelling any time now?"

"I doubt it. Why don't you go to the doctors?"

"It's a few streets away from here. I think it's already a twenty minute walk."

"... Shoot."

Kyuhyun paused. "You should really call that Myungsoo guy."

Yoona turned to him and clasped her hands. "I know, right? But apparently, Myungsoo's having some stomach problems..."

"How do you know that?"

"Taecyeon told me."

Kyuhyun shook his head and only clicked his tongue. Im Yoona, you're too naive.