Hiking and Sunsets

Tending the Roses

Two mornings later, Mr. Son brought them "exciting" news that caused the children's jaws to drop. Naeun stared at her father, who was slipping on his hiking books. She rushed over to him, desperately trying to stop him from going outside.

"W-Wait! Hiking? I thought we agreed to not go hiking this time!" she exclaimed.

"I did, too, but I thought that your friends would like to see the sunset before we go back home. Tomorrow we'll be going back home, so I thought we could head on out and about!"

"Daddy, why are you being like this? Do you want to ruin my future?" she whispered. Taecyeon glanced at Yoona, who had a sick expression on her face. He slowly raised his hand to garner attention.

"Well, Yoona isn't exactly the athletic type. She can't hiking or anything. She's more of an indoor girl than an outdoor--"

"Nonsense! I'm sure that once she sees the sunset, she'll be running around like a wild animal," Mr. Son assured them, patting Yoona's back. She held her breath, feeling nauseous over the thought of hiking. She quietly walked over to Taecyeon, and tugged on his sleeves in hopes that he could try once more to change Mr. Son's mind. Taecyeon shrugged his shoulders apologetically.

"So... Who's going on the trip with me? It'll be nice to take some fresh air," Mr. Son said, clasping his hands together. Nobody offered to go. Seeing this, Myungsoo heaved a sigh and took a step forward to slip on his sneakers.

"I'll go, Mr. Son. Maybe I can go and find some plants or something," Myungsoo said, getting up. He gestured Naeun to hand him the small backpack, which had two water bottles and a bag of chips.

"Naeun?" Mr. Son called, raising an eyebrow.

She whimpered. "But Daddy..."

Yoona sighed, then stepped forward. "I'll go along with you and Myungsoo, sir."

Taecyeon raised an eyebrow. "You're going?"

Naeun's eyes lit up. "Please, do go!"

Myungsoo turned slightly red, but he wasn't sure why. Taecyeon looked at Myungsoo, then back at Yoona. Before she got the chance to grab her shoes, he grabbed ahold of her wrist.

"I-I'll go, too!" he announced. He stepped closer to Myungsoo, as if he was giving the younger boy a threatening move. Oblivious, Myungsoo gave him a questioning look, but didn't dare to speak a word.

"Naeun? Are you coming?" Mr. Son repeated, showing how everyone else were going. Naeun narrowed her eyes, then quickly grabbed her fanny pack and grunted. She looked up at Myungsoo, who was the cause of everyone heading out. Once she tied her shoes properly, she got up and stuck her tongue out at him.

"I hate you, Myungsoo!" she declared, running out. He widened his eyes, too shock to say anything. He looked up at Yoona, who shrugged her shoulders in a clueless manner. When he tried to look at Taecyeon, the older boy only gave him a glare.

"What did I do?" he asked Yoona as the rest began to head out the door.

"I don't know," she responded. "Girls are sure strange..."

"Hey, hey," Taecyeon interrupted, getting between the two. "Yoona, you're a girl, too. Don't forget, okay?"

"I know, I know," she said, waving her hand in annoyance. "I'm just saying that I don't know how Naeun's heart works."

"I wish I did," Myungsoo breathed, heaving out a sigh as the sunlight brightened his crush's expression.

 

An hour later, after hiking up the mountain with two breaks in between, they finally arrived at the top. The trees were not as tall as they were during the trip up, making it easy for them to spot the sun. There was a slightly pink sky, but the sun was still glowing in its usually yellow-white color. Yoona gasped for air, then collapsed on her knee. She gently hugged the soft grass below her, too tired to say anything or to do anything.

Taecyeon, who followed behind her, gave her an annoyed look.

"Yoona, get up," he said. "You're not making it easier on any of us."

"But I'm so tired," she mumbled softly. Myungsoo bent down next to her and grabbed out a napkin. He gently wiped off her sweat, which were beginning to slip down from her forehead.

"We're proud of you, though." He praised her some more, which caused Yoona to burst into laughter.

Taecyeon scowled. Was this flirting? Was Myungsoo flirting with Yoona even though he liked Nauen? Naeun finally walked over to Taecyeon, her knees buckling. She stared at Yoona, then let out a smirk.

"See... You're so weak. Taecyeon, don't you think she's weak? It's unattractive, right?" Naeun asked.

"Aren't you tired, too?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "You look like you're going to faint."

"N-Nonsense!" she exclaimed, gripping her hands around the end of her shirt. "L-Look. The sky's darkening..."

Hoping that Taecyeon would catch her, she leaned and collapsed. However, Myungsoo managed to get up and rushed to save her. Yoona giggled softly to herself, impressed with how fast he was to catch Naeun.

"You should sit down," Myungsoo told her, helping Naeun sit next to Yoona.

"I still hate you. Don't think that by acting all nice, I'll go and like you again!" Naeun shouted, jerking away her hand. She gasped and let out a shrill cry as she collapsed next to Yoona. The high school girl chuckled and placed her arm over her eyes.

"What a kid," Yoona muttered to herself. Naeun shot her a glare, embarrassed.

"Now, now," Mr. Son said, clapping his hands to gather everyone's attention. "The sunset will come in about fifteen minutes, I think. I brought my camera, so I want everyone to be in it!"

"But my legs hurt," Yoona complained, rubbing her legs. 

"You can't complain," Myungsoo said. "Naeun's legs are in more pain than you. At least she tried to walk everything rather than asking Taecyeon to give you a piggyback ride or something."

"Says the guy who would stop every minute to look at the same plant over and over again," Yoona retorted, rolling her eyes. 

"Well, while you two bicker about, I'm going to eat some of these snacks," Taecyeon said, pulling out a box of biscuits from Yoona's fanny pack. She gasped, alarmed over how he was trying to take away her energy source. She tried to reach for the box, but Taecyeon stood up with a proud smirk on his face.

"Give it back!" Yoona whined.

"Stand up. It's not that hard to do," he replied, sticking out his tongue. Right when he reached to grab a biscuit, the box was swept away and replaced with a bag of chips. He stared down at his hands, then looked at Myungsoo, who bent down and gave Yoona back her food.

"See... You're so mean. Naeun, don't you think that Taecyeon's mean? It's pretty much unattractive, right?" Myungsoo asked, proudly flipping his side bangs. When he looked to see her reaction, he was surprised to see her blush.

"Well, some girls like guys who're a little mean. It shows how cool they are," Naeun said, awing at Taecyeon. Myungsoo groaned, while Taecyeon give her a small, awkward smile.

It wasn't long until Mr. Son called the four back on their feet again. After finding the perfect place to pose for a picture, the adult finally set his camera and hurried the kids over to him. The sky were now in layers which blended amonst each other. A gentle shade of the azure night sky mixed smoothly with the orange-reddish glow of the lower layer.

"Everyone, hurry, hurry!" Mr. Son cried in a panic.

Taecyeon immediately reached to grab Yoona's hand, pulling her next to his side. She looked up at him in surprise, but he only smiled back. Myungsoo, seeing Taecyeon as a role model for a just a second, quickly grasped ahold of Naeun's wrist, placing her between Taecyeon and himself.

"One... Two... Three!" The camera flashed. "One more time. One... Two... Say 'kimchi!'"

"Kimchi!" shouted the four, flashing out their best smile.

Mr. Son looked up from the camera. "Okay, now I want everyone to do something surprising or funny. Ready? One..."

Yoona blew up her cheeks, while Naeun clung onto Taecyeon's broad arm as she fluttered her eyelashes.

"Two..."

Myungsoo began to fret, yet he managed to put his arm over Naeun's shoulder. He blushed, but he was sure that the red sun would cover the blush in the photograph.

"Three!"

Taecyeon bumped his head right next to Yoona's, while sticking out his tongue. Yoona widened her eyes in surprised. There was a loud, steady thump that rang in her ears. Her cheeks were on fire, but she convinced herself that it was because of the hike. When she heard the camera click, she quickly pushed Taecyeon away and took several steps back. He frowned at her.

"What's up, Yoona?" Taecyeon asked.

"N-N-Nothing," she stuttered, touching the side of her head. Was Taecyeon's cheek this warm, too?

"You look paranoid," he said, "or sick. Here, let me check your temperature--"

"No!" she shouted, a bit too loud. Everyone stared at her, then began to judge Taecyeon. Taecyeon raised his eyebrow, then slowly dropped his hand to his side.

"O...Okay," he stammered, unsure of what to say. "Well, I guess I'll start heading back. If you feel sick or anything, let me know."

"A-Alright. S-Seriously, I'm fine," she said, putting her hand across her heart.

Myungsoo and Naeun, who had observed the scene, either smiled or shook their head.

She's not sick, they thought in unison. Something's about to spark.