The Lake

Tending the Roses

"I'm glad to see that Naeun brought her friends. I mean, she just began middle school, and making friends during middle school is quite a challenge. Don't you agree with that, honey?"

"I do understand why she brought Myungsoo. Myungsoo is a good boy, and he's just around the same age as her. I just don't understand why she invited her own tutor."

"Well, at least she brought a girl--"

"A girl who's in high school. Naeun, dear, are you sure you made friends at school?" Mrs. Son asked, giving her daughter a look of disappointment. Mr. Son only smiled and looked at them through the mirror. To him, the situation seemed kind of funny. Naeun was sitting in the back, staring at the back of Taecyeon's head. Myungsoo, who sat next to Naeun, casually had his arms crossed and gave Taecyeon a glare. Meanwhile, Yoona was off dozing away, but she couldn't sleep since Taecyeon kept poking her ribs to wake up.

"Um, well, Nauen was just thankful for helping her, she asked if I could come around. Don't worry, I'm one-hundred percent mature and responsible. If anything happens to Naeun, I'll be there to protect her like a... like a prince or something," Taecyeon assured them.

Naeun pulled on Myungsoo's shirt and whispered, "He said he'll protect me like a prince! Is that a proposal?"

He rolled his eyes. "That's not a proposal. That's just him kissing up to your parents. It's rather disgusting, isn't it--"

"Oh my gosh. He must really want to marry me in the future! Wanting to gain my parent's respect... He's such a good future-husband!" she squealed. Yoona turned her head and scoffed.

"Taecyeon? A husband? Please, he doesn't do much at home but complain how he needs money," Yoona informed her. She yelped when Taecyeon jabbed her ribs. They exchanged glares, and started to ignore each other for the next five minutes.

"Well, I'm just glad that Naeun had some friends," Mr. Son said. "High school or middle school, it doesn't matter to me. What matters is that Naeun likes the people she hangs around with."

"Does that apply for marriage, too?" Naeun asked. Before her father managed to answer her question, Yoona gasped. She quickly grabbed Taecyeon's sleeve and pointed at the window.

"Look! A lake! Look how big it is!" she shouted.

As the trees slowly disappeared from their sight, they were welcomed to the camp with a beautiful view of the crystal blue lake. Light shimmered and danced on the body of water, reflecting its brightness to the students' eyes. It didn't take long for them to arrive at the cabin, which was covered in small pebbles. There was a bonfire just a few feet away from the house, and two picnic tables were set up near the fire. The smell of wood and leaves filled the air, causing Yoona to scrunch her nose.

"It smells really bad," she commented, covering her nose with her hand. Myungsoo stood next to her, then inhaled the outdoor scent. He let out a dreamy sigh, and smiled.

"Nope, it smells terrific. This is the smell of nature, Yoona. You don't get to smell this twice in your life! The world always changes, especially in the woods," he said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Whatever. Can I go inside?" she asked the parents.

"Don't you want to go and see the lake? It's a fifteen minute walk from here. Look, your friend is already going with my daughter," Mr. Son said, pointing at Taecyeon and Naeun. Myungsoo, feeling jealous how Naeun took Taecyeon's hand instead of his, grabbing ahold of Yoona's arm. She widened her eyes, and was dragged towards the duo.

"Wait, where are we going?" she asked, staring at the cabin with a longing look.

"To follow Taecyeon and Naeun, of course. I'm not going to take my eyes off of him during this trip," he declared.

"Relax, it's Taecyeon we're talking about. He won't to anything."

"That's the problem," Myungsoo mumbled to himself. "He doesn't do anything... and Naeun still likes him."

 

In fifteen minutes, the four arrived at the lake. From what they saw before they arrived at the cabin, the lake wasn't very big. Rather, it seemed smaller and more like a puddle compared to the alluring view. Naeun tapped on her bottom lip and stared at the tall grass which surrounded the lake.

"Hm... I thought it was going to be prettier. I guess not. The last time I came here was a few years ago," Naeun said, letting out a soft laugh.

Taecyeon bent down and dipped his hands in the water. "Well, the water's quite nice."

At the corner of his eyes, he saw Yoona bend down near him. Just when she was about to reach for the water, he suddenly splashed some on her clothes. Yoona dropped her jaws and stared at the water for a few seconds, then at Taecyeon. She shot him a glare, and quickly cupped her hands in the water. Without wasting any time, Taecyeon got up and tried to run. However, Yoona swiftly dumped a handful of water on Taecyeon's head. In just a few more splashes, the two took off their shoes and went down at the shallow side of the lake, attacking each other with the harmless liquid.

During the entire game, Naeun frowned. She was excluded from the game and torn apart of Taecyeon. Myungsoo smiled and laughed as he watched the splashing game become more violent. Seeing this, Naeun decided to take this opportunity to ask for Myungsoo's favor.

"You know, you'd look really nice next to Yoona. I mean, she's a year older than you, but your friends would be jealous that you have a noona as your girlfriend," she said, taking a seat on the grass next to Myungsoo. He stared at her from head to toe. Then, he smirked and looked back at the lake.

"Nah, I'm not into older girls," he said. In fact, I like you.

"You sure? I mean, you're so compatible with her! Do you hate her?"

"Hate? No, I like her--"

"Perfect! You like Yoona, and I like Taecyeon. But they're always together..." Naeun pouted. "You know what I want? I just want to spend five minutes alone with Taecyeon. Is that so much to ask?"

You just spent fifteen minutes walking with him! Myungsoo thought, outraged. "Uh, sure. Why don't you just join them?"

"I might catch a cold."

"It's summer."

"This is my favorite dress."

"It's going to get dirty anyway."

"He's already playing with Yoona."

"Just join them."

"I'll be the third wheel."

Myungsoo sighed. "So what do you want me to do?"

Naeun grinned. "You know, I thought you'd never ask."

"Wait, Naeun. I didn't mean that kind of what I can do. I meant that--"

"Yoona!" Naeun hollered, ignoring Myungsoo's excuse. The splashing stopped. Yoona smiled and looked up at Naeun.

"Yeah?" she shouted back. "Do you want to play?"

Naeun laughed and shook her head. "Myungsoo wants to talk to you! Taecyeon, you need to help my parents prepare for dinner!"

Yoona raised an eyebrow. "But aren't we eating lunch first--"

"Did you hear that?" Naeun interrupted. "I heard my dad call you!" She turned to Myungsoo. "You heard my daddy, right?"

Myungsoo bit his tongue and weakly nodded his head. Taecyeon walked out of the lake, followed by Yoona. The two dried themselves with a small towel Yoona brought. The two split apart: one going with Naeun, and another heading towards Myungsoo.

Yoona grinned and took a seat next to Myungsoo. "That was so much fun! You should've joined. Anyways, what did you want to talk to me about?"

What is there to talk about? he wondered. "Mm... Are you having... fun?"

She gave him a bewildered look. "Did you not hear me laugh with Taecyeon?"

"Oh... right," he muttered. Then, Myungsoo heaved a sigh. "Why does Naeun like Taecyeon more than me?"

"I don't know, either. Who would like that lazy-head?" Yoona said, hugging her towel.

"How are you good friends up until now? I've liked Naeun since we were babies, and we're really close. I've known her so much longer than Taecyeon, but she decides that Taecyeon is the best for her. Does that make sense?" he cried out.

She smiled softly and patted his head. "According to Taecyeon, girls are complicated. I'm sure if you're patient with her, she'll come to like you."

Myungsoo dug his head in his arms. "That's impossible..."

"As my best friend Sooyoung said, 'One day something small is going to happen, and it's going to drastically shape your life and friendship.'"

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked in a whiny voice.

Yoona frowned, then stared up at the sky. "Hm... You know what, I'm not so sure. Though she did say that if it ever happens in our life, we'll come to realize that we're humans--humans with hearts."

Myungsoo continued to stare at the ground. Knowing that she wasn't make him feel better, she sighed and stared at the lake. After a moment of thinking, she clasped her hand and continuously tapped his back.

"Guess what? Guess what?" she exclaimed. "Why don't I see why Naeun likes Taecyeon? Maybe the new information will help you, hm?"

A pause. Then, Myungsoo gave her a hesitant shrug. Yoona let out a giggle, and clapped her hands. She told him that she would take her leave first, and walked away.

As silence surrounded his mind, Myungsoo couldn't help but feel thankful that there was someone like Yoona who existed in his world.


Author's Note: So the story is usually in serif font, but for some reason AFF is not letting me do that... I didn't want to hold back an update just because the story didn't have its font. Once I figure out the problem, I'll try to put it back into the font I use for this story.