Ch 4

The Sound Of The Forest

If she ever wondered what it would be like to get scolded, she got her answer. Slipping back into the forest, she was quickly met with the rustling of the wind signaling something not quite so pleasant.

"Where have you been?" The wind questioned as the girl made her way through the trees.

"I went exploring." She answered noncholontly, shrugging as swiftly moved around the strewn branches.

"In the city? That is not the place." The wind stated, the cold stinging her back.

She snorted, gliding along the forest ground, glad to once again feel the cool soil beneath her feet.

"Oh and why not?" She rose an eyebrow, stoping when she noticed a dying plant.

"You don't belong there." The wind hissed and the girl ignored the wind, her concern only for the dying plant in front of her.

She kneeled down, not feeling the thorns that pushed into her legs undearneath, and took the plant into her arms sighing,

"Oh my. What happened to you?" She whispered.

She felt the wind whip around her and she gave out a low growl,

"I don't see what the big deal is."

The wind calmed and her attention went back to the plant. Brushing her hand along the leaves, she leaned in whispering. Stepping back, she watched as the once withering plant came back to life. The brown, shriveled leaves turned green and the plant lifted itself up. The sagging flower, faded of all color, seemed to pucker up, in a breath before bursting out, full of life. The girl smiled,

"There. Feeling much better huh?"

"You changed it."

The girl looked around, her brow furrowing, as she began to once again walk.

"Change what?"

The wind whipped around sending a shiver up her spine,

"Fate."

The girl slowed again this time standing completely still.

"Fate? Who's fate did I change? I did nothing."

She felt something on her shoulder and turned her head to the side to find a blue jay. She smiled at the bird, leaning down to pick up something, before giving it the bird, pleased when it took it happily.

"Oh? And what about the boy that you rescued, was that nothing?"

The girl snapped her head up making the bird fly away scared from her sudden actions,

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Watch as those idiots bully him? No one else was willing to help."

She felt the wind whirl around her,

"Though it may seem cruel, it was not your place. We are not supposed to mix with the human world."

The girl shook her head snorting,

"It was nothing. So I helped him, after that I left. I did not change anything."

The wind came to a halt,

"The moment you came in contact with him, you changed his fate."

Now the girl was confused,

"Well I'm back so you don't have to worry, It won't happen again."

She could her the wind sigh, the leaves rustling,

"It's too late now. The moment you came in contact with him, your fate also changed."

The girl did not understand,

"What do you mean my fate?"

"My dear child.The moment you rescued that boy, you tied yourself to him."

"I don't understand."

"His fate is now tied with yours."

The girl rested her palm against the tree,

"It was just a simple encounter. How can our fate be tied?"

She closed her eyes, leaning against the bark. The wind restled,

"I do not know, but it seems there is a reason for this. He wants you to be with the boy."

He? She couldn't mean...

"My dear, you've been given your meaning."

The girl took in a deep breath.

Hundreds of years of waiting. Hundreds of years and the task to be given... is a boy.

"Why him?"

The wind shuffled,

"That I cannot answer, but you have your orders."

The girl opened her eyes, shoving off the tree

"And what am I supposed to do?"

"Stay by the boys side."

_______

The girl breathed in the cool night air, smelling the mist in the air. Looking out at the sky, she looked towards the moon which was shielded all around by the stars.

My fate.

She sat on the grass, welcoming the water which blanket the green wisps, now soaking her body. Sighing, she replayed todays events in her head.

Why this boy?

She had heard of people given humans as tasks, but that was usually angels and they were considered guardian angels. She was not an angel, and she definitly was no guardian angel at that. She was just a lonely wolf, with no pack, her forest being her home. If anything, she's the guardian for the forest.

So why the boy?

She thought of him and his stick, the noise of it as it clattered against the ground, and she winced. She thought of him unable to see, she thought of the bullys, she thought how he couldn't defend himself.

Was that the reason?

But that made no sense. There were many people on this earth that were bullied. In fact, many people went through worst and never got any assistance.

So why him?

Was it because of what happened today?

She laid back, letting her hands fall behind her head. Looking up at the sky she asked,

"Are our fates really now tied together?"

There was no answer, instead she felt something flickering against her face and she turned. Squinting, she brought up her hand, sheilding the light that was currently blinding her. Looking to where the source of the light was coming from, she spotted the river. Getting up, she made her way to the river bank. Upon reaching it, she heard the sound of the water hitting against the rocks and she looked down to see her reflection. Walking closer, she kneeled down, her hand skidding across the top. Suddenly the water rippled and the image of her faded, a new one replacing it. She watched intranced as the image of the boy from earlier now laid across the water. She looked at it curiously, the tips of her fingers grazing against his image before the water once again rippled and the image faded away. She watched, as the image then became the image of a small boy and she in breath.

That's..

She remembered that one fateful day long ago and she shook her head looking up at the sky,

"You're not telling me that..."

She looked back down at the water,

"They are the same?"

The water rippled for a third time underneath her fingertips, until she was once again staring at herself through the water. She slowly stood up,

"No...no..no.. how is that possible? The boy I met he-he could see."

"I-I remember the look on his face. I-I was a monster to him. I-"

She remembered the scent from the young boy, her mind trickling to early. She inhaled,

"He couldn't..."

She tried to remember what the boy smelled of, but for some reason it wouldn't come. Then she remembered to the conversation the night before,

"Why would you want to leave?" The wind answered back with another question.

"I don't. I just want to see the world."

She rolled onto her side and looked up at the stars, the moon shining brightly through her eyes.

"You will, one day."

"And when will that day come?" She asked her body curling.

"Sooner then you may hope." The wind concluded, and she felt as a gush of cool air went by, leaving her to herself.

She knew?

For the girl this was just too much to take in. She dumped her face into the water hoping to cool it off. Wiping her face with her hand she took in a deep breath before once again looking back up at the sky,

"I can't believe we actually met agian and I didn't recognize him."

She closed her eyes,

She was given this chance and she knew she couldn't let it go.

She was going to fulfill her promise.

She was going to protect him.

"Even if he's blind."

She shook head,

No, that doesn't matter.

She had a purpose.

She looked around at the forest knowing soon she would be leaving it, this time for good. Laying down on the ground, she dragged her hand across the soil one question now occupying her mind.

How was I going to explain this to him?

_____