Ch 2

The Sound Of The Forest

After that day, time seemed to pass by in two very different ways. To the young boy, life had seemed to be going by as he grew, the past events of that day fading to a soft hum in the back of his mind. To the girl, life had seemed to now be different, in a way almost incomplete, as now the forest was once again filled with silence. And while both could not forget that day, it became just a part of the past, turning into a shadow at the back of the wall. 

_____

 

The shouts, the cries, the little boy. The piercing gaze of his almost seemingly black eyes. His eyes. His eyes as they pleaded to be rescued not only from the man, but from her. Beads of sweat began to produce profusely across her forehead and the back of her neck. She shifted about rashly, her fingers curling into the damp soil, as a groan escaped her lips. His quivering, his frail body as it shook, his sense of terror. She grunted in pain as her own body began to violently shake, changing. Soon her bones began to crack and she screamed out in pain, she was fighting it. She was fighting it and that was the worst thing she could do. His arms, his arms around her, his soft whimper, his lingering scent. Doubling over, the change was fully completed and she howled.

"Why are you fighting the change?" She heard the wind whisper concerned, and all she could do was take in as much air as she could.

"He was scared. He was scared-" She mumbled over and over.

"Who? The boy?" The wind wisped around her and she felt her nails dig further into the dirt.

"He was scared of me. Why?" She asked, a low whimper following.

"He was not scared of you, but those men." The wind replied reasuringly.

"Lies! You should have seen the way he looked at me. It- it was as if- if I was a monster." She yelled before her body seemed to loose it's strength dropping her to a floor with a thud.

"My dear. You are different from them. They do not understand." She felt the wind curl around her, trying to comfort her.

"Neither do I. Why did I have to become this way? Why me?"

"Because you were chosen, my dear. You are the daughter of the forest."

She dug her nose into the ground before exhaling out, the dirt flying in different directions.

"Will I be able to ever leave?" She asked lowely.

"Why would you want to leave?" The wind answered back with another question.

"I don't. I just want to see the world."

She rolled onto her side and looked up at the stars, the moon shining brightly through her eyes.

"You will, one day."

"And when will that day come?" She asked her body curling.

"Sooner then you may hope." The wind concluded, and she felt as a gush of cool air went by, leaving her to herself.

Confused by this answer, she slowly got up, her paws damp from the midnight dew. She sighed, once again all alone, as she made her way down the mountain side, coming to a slow halt by the river. She watched as the water glistened, the soothing sound of the light waves filling her ears. She looked down at the water, her reflection staring back. More and more she stared at it, not only seeing the faze she was in now, but the other side of her. She watched as one went over the other, back and forth, switching between the two. Her as a girl, her as a wolf. The more she stared, the more they fought against each other, before soon they blurred together. She swiped her paw at it making the image ruffle, before turning her head. She closed her eyes, the memories of that day once again flooding her mind, and she inhaled, disappointed when she couldn't find his scent. She looked up at the moon torn, and she gave a low long howl, no answer in return.

____________

 

The next day she woke up back in her hut. Looking down at herself, she sighed, throwing her hand to the side to grab the clothing which laid in a neat pile. Yawning, she quickly got dressed and left the tent, her hand coming up instinctively over her face to cover her eyes from the blinding sun. She hissed from the sudden light, ducking under a tree with shade. Taking a moment, she placed her hand on the bark and closed her eyes, listening to the forest. All seemed normal, the birds, the trees, the water. Everything was calm and collect.

Just like it is every day.

She sighed. That day was the only day something exciting and different has happened. And that, that was eleven years ago. Since then everything went back to its meloncholy, loomy self. Pushing herself off the tree, she walked to the top of the mountain. The point of the mountain was her favorite part of the forest, maybe it was because she could see everything, including the city. The city. How badly she wanted to go. The sounds, the people, all seemed so much more then the silent forest that offered nothing.

Except comfort.

She sighed again. As much as the forest was a cage, it was also her home and she could never just leave. She loved it as much as she hated it, and she convinced herself that there was no reason to leave.

Except for him.

Him, the little boy, was now her reason. She knew she needed to find him, see how he was living. If he was living. A shiver went down her spine when the thought crossed her mind.

No, he's still alive. I can feel it.

She shook her head. Still not feeling the wind, she looked around, contemplating. Biting her lip, she did what her gut told her to do. She sprinted off to the border. She loved it. The feeling of running. The feeling of the cool air, the feeling of her feet floating, the feeling of her heart going a mile a minute and her breath heavy. Smiling, she soon came to the edge of the forest which connected to the city, hidding in the shadows of the tree, making sure she wasn't spotted.  Camouflaged, she watched in excitment and curiosity as people and cars went by. She it all in, the sound of the engines, the laughter, the yelling, the sounds of shop doors opening and closing. She watched as people ran about in a hurry, running, skipping, jumping, having a good time. She bit her lip when she saw teens in school uniforms signaling that they were off to school.

School

She had heard some children talking about it before and she wanted so badly to know what it was. Moving around the other tree, she felt something stir. Shifting uncomfortably, she felt a chill go through her. Looking around for the cause, she spotted a boy walking with a strange stick in his hand. She watched as he walked slow and careful and each time he took a step, his stick hit the floor, the sound ringing through her. Click clack, click clack. She titled her head confused.

Why was he carrying a plastic stick?

Her eyes shifted from the foreing object, up to his body. He was wearing a uniform and her eyebrow furrowed.

He was a student.

Her curiosity went even further when she looked up at his face. She squinted,

He seems familiar.

She couldn't place it, his face seemed almost familiar. But just as she was beginning to place it, two boys came up to him. She felt herself frown, something felt... off. She watched as one of the guys pushed the boy with the stick down and again she felt a rumble through her chest. She hated when she saw people bully others. She watched as the boy with the stick fell down, a whimper escaping him, and something scream through her. Telling her to go. She watched as the two boys stood up yelling down nasty things at the boy, and she gasped in surprise when she watched one suddenly kick the boy. A growl escaped her and before she had time to even think, she felt her body shoot forward.

Taking quick strides, she ended in front of them in seconds. Pushing past the two boys, she lifted the boy with the stick off the ground swiftly and her heart twinged in pain when she heard him whimper.

"What the hell !" One spat at her.

"Who the hell are you?"

She turned her attention from the boy in her arms to the two bullies giving them a long glare.

"What are you staring at with those wierd eyes?"

"Yeah, you some freak?" The other yelled and she just looked at them.

She knew her eyes were different from others. While most eyes she saw from humans were a dark brown hers were an emrald green, with fleckers of yellow throughout. When she had asked the wind why, she was answered with, because she was the daughter of the forest and the forest was reflected through her eyes.

"What you don't talk?"

"You retarded just like him?"

"I can speak. I just have nothing to say to you two."

They seemed taken aback by her sudden words, but they quickly recovered.

"Well then but-out. This is none of your business."

She just looked from them to the boy who was silent in her arms. She let her gaze linger over him before shooting back to the two,

"You made it my business."

"I'll say this why I still have my patience. off ."

"No." She stated firmly and they just scoffed.

"Why do you care? Do you know this retard or something."

She shook her head as she heard the boy whimper at the harsh words. She held back the urge to growl,

"You don't? Well let me give you a piece of advice."

"He's broken. Look, he's useless. So don't bother, it's just a waste."

Her anger only grew,

"Well let me give you a piece of advice."

"I suggest you walk away before you regret it."

They just began to laugh,

"Ahah, you hear this loser. You actually have someone sticking up for you."

"God knows for what reason."

More laughter.

"Well loser. Look at the time, you got off lucky."

"But not for long."

"We'll see you at school retard. And you."

She looked at the boy who kept her gaze,

"You hope I don't see you again."

With that he patted the others back, turning around and walking away. She felt a low rumble through her chest as she watched them walk away. Oh how angry she was, but she pushed down her urge to change. Taking a deep breath, she turned her attention back to the boy. Taking her hand, she began to clean him off,

"How old are you?" She asked and he gave such a soft reply she was glad she had good hearing,

"18."

"You're 18 and you let idots like that bully you?" She scoffed.

She didn't get why he didn't even say anything to defend himself.

"It-it's not like I really can." He said and she titled her head.

"And why not?" She didn't understand.

He tapped his stick on the ground like that was the answer,

"I don't get it, speak up."

"I'm blind. I- I can't see."

He's blind?

She began to wave her hand in front of his face and she watched as he didn't blink. Confused, she grabbed his face in her hands making him look directly at her. Ignoring his yelp, she looked into his eyes, and noticed how it was different from the others. It wasn't shiny and it didn't have any sparks, in a way it seemed almost dull.

"So. You can't see me? Or anything else?"

She watched as he shook his head. Taking her hands she tapped his stick,

"And this, this allows you to see?"

She heard him give a light chuckle making her body shiver,

'In a way I guess. It lets me know where I'm going."

She nodded her head, now understanding, but her face soon went sour,

"And those two, do you know them?"

She watched as his face fell to a frown,

"Unfortunitly, yes, I do."

"Why do they bully you?"

"I don't know. They say it's because I-I'm broken and that they are trying to fix me."

She watched as his body shuddered.

Taking a second for silence to pass through she finally asked,

"What is your name?"

"M-my name. It's Luhan." He whispered.

Taking his face once again in her hands she patted his cheeks,

"Well Luhan. You are far from being broken trust me."

It was true, she knew what it ment to be broken and it was nothing like this.

She watched as his face lifted and he slowly asked,

"And you, what is your name?"

She was speechless.

She never thought of it, she never had a name. She was always told that she was the daughter of the forest and that was what she went by. Thinking for a moment, she looked around not knowing what to say. Faintly something drifted into her mind and she said it,

"Jae. My name is Jae."