First encounter

The Sound Of The Forest

 

It was silent. The only audible sound coming from the crinkle of the leaves and whispering wisps from the wind. The tree's swayed almost humingly like from side to side, seeming to grasp for something only to fall back empty handedly. Every now and then a chirp or caw or clack could be heard, coming from the animals that shied, keeping the shadows as their blanket of cover. But while all was still she wasn't. She moved elegantly through the forest, so in fact, it was almost as if she was floating, her feet seeming to never make a sound even with every step she took. Making her way briskly through the trees, she came to a standstill, the view drawing her in. Looking out, her eyes were filled with joy, taking in the lively forest and open waters that layed beneath her. Inhaling, she took in as much fresh air as her lungs could allow her, and as she exhaled, she felt a smile form on her face. It was peaceful, and that is what she liked most about the forest, her forest, her home. But that peace seemed to be quickly cut off, as she heard the squacks of birds as they bursted out from the trees. Her smile quickly shed into a frown. Placing her hand on the tree that laid close, she closed her eyes. She knew something was off, what it was, she did not know. Keeping herself as tranquil as she could, she felt energy flow into her and she did the same, letting some of her own flow back. She felt it, like a line connect to her, going from her chest, down her arm, to the palm of her hand, into the tree. From the tree, it flowed through its roots, through the soil, down past the grass plains, till it landed by the river. 

"No stop."

Her ears perked from the sudden childs voice and she concentrated harded,

"Aw, what do we have here? Are you lost little boy?" Another mans voice boomed through her, snickers of what seemed like two others, filling her ears.

"Please, just leave me alone." The child pleaded.

"I would love to, but you see, you have a debt that has to be payed." The sound of the voice made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, and she could feel a low rumble begin to grow through her chest. 

She could hear the sound of the leaves crinkling under the mans feet as he made swift steps towards the boy and she inwardly growled. Throwing her arm from the tree, she quickly darted, sprinting towards the river. On and on she went as fastly as she could, her heart hammering through her chest, her breath heavy, and the once whispering wisp from the wind shifted to what seemed like a low laughter, ringing through her ears. Everything blurred and she gritted her teeth praying she wasn't too late. Hearing the familiar sounds, she let herself give a little relief, but that relief quickly washed away when she came around the tree to see the man looming over the boy. She watched as he picked the boy up by collar, and at that very moment a growl slipped past her teeth, the sound echoing off the water and the nearby tree's. The mans hand came to a halt, and both him and the little boy turned towards the girl.

"I-Is that a wolf?" A chubby boy stammered looking at her in disbelief.

"It's just a stupid animal." The man stated, throwing down the boy and turning his attention towards the girl.

Picking up a rock, he looked at her his gaze hard, but she could see right through him, that underlining sense of fear he emitted,

"Shoo, go away!" He yelled throwing the rock at her. 

It hit her right above her eye, scrapping her before bouncing off, landing with a thud onto the dirt. It didn't faze her though, at that moment her sight was stuck on the little boy who was staring right at her, plead in his eyes. Looking from the boy, back to the man, another growl escaped her and the chubby boy and a gawky looking bean sprout of a man began to slowly back away,

"Boss.Boss. W-we shouldn't aggrivate it."

"Ye-yeah, lets just leave."

The man just took another rock, this time throwing it at the two cowering fools, making them jump and squeal in surprise,

"Shut up you cowards. There is three of us and only one of it. It's outnumbered."

The girl felt her lip curve up into a smile before looking at the two frightened characters. Leaping towards them, she gave a growl, and they zoomed out of there as if lightning had struck, all the while screaming in fear. 

"Why you...YAH! Where you two think your going." The man yelled at the now empty space,

"Those stupid...you. Hey you, you stupid wolf." 

This made her turn in curiosity,

"How about a truce. You are doing your own thing, and I'm doing mine, so why don't you just...." He began, but she only walked closer to him, her gaze stern.

"I'm warning you." He yelled and as her gaze locked with his she saw it.

She saw his moment of hesitation, his moment of fear. Taking that as her chance, she lept up and growled, swipping at him. The man fell backwards and she walked towards him. With a face full of terror, he scooted himself backwards as hastely as he could. She just kept walking towards him dauntingly, and he cursed under his breath, scurrying to get himself to him feet. Swaying back and forth in a panic, he finally stood up, his attention going to the boy,

"Yah! I'm not done with you little kid and you too you stupid wolf."

He looked at her once again feing tuffness and she just gave a growl making him jump and run off. She inwardly laughed at the retreating man making shallow threats, his voice fading into the wind.

Once again the forest was settled with silence and she turned, her attention going back to the little boy. He looked at her in fear, his lip quivering and she slowly padded her way towards him. 

"P-please don't hurt me." He whimpered, bringing his arms up to shield his face, as now she was right before him.

Making a low humming noise, she dipped her head down, nudging his hands. The little boy yelped in terror, before looking at the girl. He slowly let his arms droop down hesitantly, letting them land lightly onto her head. She made a noise of acknowledgment, nudging his chest with her nose, and he soon grabbed her, wrapping his small frail arms around her as much as he could. Though taking her by surprise, she held in her urge to growl, and she watched as the boy buried his face into her neck.

As she layed down and let the boy cry, the day sky slowly began to fade away, the blanket of night soon covering them. She closed her eyes, inhaling the foreign scent that was the little boy and felt herself relax. To her his scent was almost...comforting.  And in that moment as her ears opened to all the sounds that were once before, she noticed that something was different, not off, but, different. This time the forest was filled with a new sound. 

 

___________

Well there we have it, the first chapter. I know it was pretty short, but it is only the intro so I didn't want it to be too overwhelming. I hope that it was alright and that you amazing readers will subscribe and comment. Even if you are a silent reader, I appreciate the the fact that you just clicked on my story. It means a lot~ I know I didn't explain anything, but that is kinda the point. Who is the girl, or should I say what is the girl, hmm? (cough, cough, a wolf, cough) And just who is the little boy? Until next time.