Chapter 9

The Boss's Daughter

 

Gayoon's POV

 
When I woke up the next morning I felt disoriented. Where the hell was I? What am I wearing? Why am I not in my bed?...... Oh right, I'm at Doojoon's. All the memories from yesterday came flooding back. Wow. It was hard to believe that this was reality, and not some crazy dream. I half expected to wake up any minute now.
 
Doojoon wasn't in the room, so I went to go find him. I heard noises coming from downstairs, so I followed that. I ended up in the kitchen. The three other men from last night were talking. They all stopped as soon as they saw me. 
 
"Uhh, hey do you guys know where Doojoon is?" I asked. I felt uneasy being in a room with them. 
 
"He had to go out, but he said he'll be home in about an hour." The one with the reddish hair said. "I'm Hyunseung by the way. We never properly met." He continued.
 
"I'm Gayoon. It's nice to meet you." The other two then said their names were Junhyung and Dongwoon.
 
"Would you like some breakfast? We don't really cook, so there isn't much, but there should be some cereal." The one named Junhyung said.
 
I gave a nod and grabbed some cereal that was on the counter. The one named Junhyung got me a bowl, spoon and milk. Who would of thought I'd ever be sitting down eating cereal with three mobsters...and while wearing another mobsters sweats. 
 
"Did Doojoon leave you guys in charge to babysit me?" I asked.
 
The one named Dongwoon laughed. "I wouldn't call it babysitting, but yea he told us to watch you." 
 
"We actually didn't expect you to leave the room. We thought you'd hide up there till Doojoon came back." Junhyung said. He smiled and I think it was suppose to be a joke.
 
"Well I was looking for Doojoon and I wasn't going to hide up there just because you might be in the apartment too. Besides, your all not that scary." I replied. "Sorry for yelling at you yesterday." I said to Dongwoon.
 
"It's fine. I understand you were a bit freaked out." He replied. Hyunseung then slapped him in the the back of the head. Junhyung laughed."What the hell?" Dongwoon questioned.
 
"Apologize for calling her a crazy ." Hyunseung said. 
 
"Dongwoon stop being such an to the ladies." Junhyung teased.
 
"Shut the up Junhyung, you weren't even there. Sorry for calling you that. I didn't know who the hell you were when Doojoon stormed into the house." 
 
I laughed at their interactions. They were like kids. "It's cool." I replied. 
 
The guys weren't as bad as I expected. I actually didn't mind talking to them. They just seemed like typical guys. We talked and joked around for about half an hour.
 
"So Gayoon what is up with you and Doojoon?" Junhyung asked. I couldn't tell if he was still joking or being serious.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"I know he was sent to protect you, but you seem a little closer than just some girl he looks after." Hyuneung added.
 
"Yeah, you guys or something?" Dongwoon asked, which earned him a couple slaps to the back of the head. 
 
"I like him, if that's what you're asking. I'm not sure what we are though, we haven't put a label on it." I replied. Doojoon and I were more than friends, but we weren't dating. It seems we took one step foward and 2 steps back. I couldn't imagine dating a man in the Mafia.
 
Then where did that leave me with Doojoon? I couldn't imagine life without him, but then I couldn't imagine life with him. Ughhhh. There was no right answer. Sitting here with his mobster friends almost seemed normal. Almost. If I could forget what they all were it would be okay, but you can't just forget. The thought of Doojoon and the others going out and killing people at whim was scary and what if Doojoon got hurt, or worse. Gosh I couldn't even finish that thought. 
 
I felt like I was in some twisted fairytale. I was the orphaned princess who was rescued by the knight and shining armor, but my knight wasn't a prince, he was a criminal. 
 
Then there was the unidentified Boss. Who was he or she and how were they connected to me? Besides my mother and mystery father I had no other family. Both were deceased, so do I have another family member I didn't know about? Maybe a friend of my mother's? or maybe one of her business partners? I didn't have a clue.
 
"Well he really likes you, that's for sure." Hyunseung said, bringing me back to the present and interrupting my inner debate. 
 

Doojoon's POV

 
My Boss sent me a message saying I need to report to him as soon as possible. Gayoon was still in my apartment, so I asked the guys to look after her. I hope that wasn't too awkward. Hopefully she'll still be asleep when I get back.
 
I was in the infirmary section of the estate. My Boss was standing outside one of the rooms. He didn't look pleased. When he looked up his face was stoic.
 
"Hello Doojoon. I see you're in perfect condition. I can't say the same for the guy in there." The Boss said, indicating the guy I shot yesterday, who was now in a hospital bed. I wore a hoodie that covered my neck, so he couldn't see the bruises that formed. 
 
"You're treating him?" I exasperated.
 
"We're keeping him alive. I wouldn't say his treatment is five star. We keep him on the fine line between life and death. Once he is of no use, we'll cut the rope." The Boss replied.
 
"Has he woken up yet?" I asked. I didn't hit the guy that hard. He should of woken up by now.
 
"He woke up in the middle of the night. I went in and questioned him."
 
"What'd you find out?"
 
"That he hasn't been the one watching her, he was just doing the dirty work. The Yakuza grew suspicious about you, so they wanted to take care of you first before going after Gayoon. Their Boss then brought this man in, Song Jae Woo, to take care of the problem. When he attacked you, he didn't expect Gayoon to be there too." 
 
"If he hasn't been spying, who has?" I questioned. The Boss only confirmed my suspicions that the Yakuza were coming after me, not Gayoon. 
 
"He doesn't know. The only information he knew was that these masterminds have been undercover for years. They've never stopped by headquarters and only communicate directly with their leader. I'll question him again when he wakes up. He slips in and out of consciousness. I need him alert though, so I could instill fear in him. That should get him to talk some more." 
 
I just nodded. I had no doubt the Boss would torture this man extensively. 
 
"Where is Gayoon now?" The Boss asked.
 
"She's with the guys."
 
"What did you tell her? Give me every detail." He ordered.
 
"I told her that I was a part of the mafia. That I was sent to protect her from the Yakuza and they intentionally killed her mother. She asked why they were coming after her and I told her that they were using her to get to you. I didn't mention who you were though." I replied. I braced myself for his reaction. I knew he wouldn't be pleased with my response.
 
"Damnit Doojoon, I gave you one rule." I heard him mutter to himself. "Well I'm not happy. I told you to protect her and that included protecting her from the truth. I understand that you were in a desperate situation, but I thought you'd thinking of some explanation."
 
His tone was reprimanding. I knew he was disappointed in me, but I couldn't blame him. 
 
"How did Gayoon take all that information?" He then asked.
 
"Better then expected. She was kind of hurt that I lied about who I was, but she was more accepting than I thought. She didn't push your identity. I think she was drained by that point and to weak to argue." I replied. 
 
The Boss nodded but didn't say anything. He was just looking at me. I felt uneasy under his stare.
 
"Gayoon was in your house." He said. It wasn't a question, so I wasn't sure what he wanted me to say.
 
"Mr. Song mentioned that you and Gayoon were getting intimate on the couch when he snuck in."
 
........... 
 
"W-well I wouldn't say intimate....we were uh well I may of..kissed her when she was over..." I stuttered. I was so flustered. Why didn't he mention he knew about that before! My biggest fear was him being angry that I told Gayoon the truth. It never occurred to me that he knew about me & Gayoon in that way.
 
"I asked you to protect my daughter because you were my most trusted associate, and I see you almost as one of my own. I didn't think I'd have to worry about you trying to make a move on her."
 
This is not the conversation I wanted to be having. My whole body was heating up with embarrassment. He had the wrong idea too. I really didn't want to explain my affection towards his daughter, but it seems it was the only way. Otherwise, the Boss might make it so I can never have kids.
 
"It's not like that, I swear. I tried to fight it..but your daughter confessed her feelings for me and then I couldn't hide it anymore. I like her, ...maybe more than that. At first I was protecting her because you ordered me too, but then I started protecting her because I couldn't live knowing something bad happened to her." I replied. I waited for him to say something. 
 
He walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and replied. "Good answer." I let out a sigh of relief. I was going to live another day. 
 
We then discussed what our next move should be. He told me to take Gayoon to school and go about our classes. She would collect some things from home and move in with me and the guys. We were to avoid going out in public as much as possible. It was the safest option.
 
The Boss then told me about his plans to stop the Yakuza. Apparently he sent some of our more stealth members to scope the Yakuza headquarters. Some were working on the outside, while others managed to work their way into the gang. It was a tough task. They were gaining information on how to successfully drain the Yakuza of their funds, riches and weapons. Then a large group would storm the headquarters while they're weak. We were hoping to capture their leader, but if not, we hoped to decimate their numbers and they would have no choice but to call off their attack. 
 
We've put rival gangs down before in the same way, but this would be the largest gang we've ever had to take down. It wouldn't be easy. We would lose some of our own, but every time a mobster left his home, there was always a chance of never returning. It was the risk we took.
 
He dismissed me to go pick up Gayoon and told me be ready within a weeks time. Hopefully it would all be over by then. I was happy for it to be over. 
 
However, what would happen between me and Gayoon? I wanted to have a relationship with her, but I knew she would disapprove of my lifestyle. She wasn't cut out for this. Also, being a Mafia's girlfriend would put her in constant danger. What if someone went after her, like the Yakuza.
 
I don't even think the Boss would allow it. He never revealed his identity to her because he wanted her to have a happy, safe life away from the crime, violence and corruption. Who was I to ruin that? I would be betraying him by dragging her into all of this. 
 
The drive back to he apartment seemed to take forever, and unfortunately allowed me to dwell on these thoughts. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

It's currently 11pm, so I made good on my promise to have this up by Monday...well as long as you live in the western hemisphere haha. Seems Gayoon and Doojoon are having the same trouble Gayoon's parents faced. Wll history repeat itself?

This chapter was sort of a filler chapter while I determined how I wanted to end this story. I had multiple different scenarios in mind, so I needed to stall while I thought. I think this story will be about 14 or 15 chapters total. Athough it could be more because I always end up writing more than I plan to. 

This chapter wasn't completely useless though. You know that feeling after somethimng big happens, or you do something out of the norm, and then the next morning you think "holy why did I do that" or "I can't believe that happened"? Well that was the idea for this chapter. The next morning Dooyoon think a bit more rationally and clearly about the whole situation.