Best friend

Only Hope

“Why are you telling people?”

“It’s not me!”

“You liar! It’s only you who know I wrote the letter! Tell me the truth, you god damn best friend!”

The situation became intense. A silence prolonged, only their breathing could be heard.

“Yes it’s me, so what?”

Ji Hyo was shocked to hear that. Their eyes met and both were filled with anger.

“You are always the lucky one! You’re pretty and everybody likes you! All the seniors like you even Go Soo sunbae-nim likes you!”

Ji Hyo couldn’t believe it. The harsh words were from her own best friend, Han Ji Min that she knew since they were twelve.

“You take everything from me. Remember the acting class you get enrolled in last year? My mother scolded me because I didn’t get a damn place while you did! I am way better than you! And remember at my birthday party? You know who I admired in my class, right? At that party, he asked for your number! Oh God bless you, it was my birthday for God’s sake! My bloody birthday!”

Ji Hyo’s heart was breaking apart like a knife stabbed onto it. It was so painful to bear with. She just couldn’t stand it anymore.

-------------

Ji Hyo was as cheerful as roses. She tidied up her hair and put some lip gloss. A radiant smile was carved on her face.

Go Soo had waited for her at the stairs at the back of the school. When Ji Hyo was on the halfway of the spiral stairs, she saw the smart man whom she admired since the last two years. Go Soo gave her such a pleasant smile.

“Hello, sunbae-nim.”

She bowed with respect to him.

“Hello, Song Ji Hyo ssi.”

It was awkward.

Go Soo started the talk, “Thank you for the letter, Ji Hyo ssi. It is so meaningful to me.”

Ji Hyo seemed confused. Go Soo was smiling all the time unlike her who was so damn nervous.

“I like you too, Ji Hyo ssi. From the first day we met, you seemed like a nice girl.”

“Thank you.”

She blushed.

“So, friends?”

He extended his right hand, wanting to give Ji Hyo a shake.

Ji Hyo smiled so widely as if it couldn't fit her whole face. She nodded, happily.

-------------

She opened her locker to take her book before entering the class. As soon as she opened it, a bunch of cockroaches crawled out of her locker. She screamed. But because of the class would start in less than a minute, she courageously cleaned up her locker and found a small note written with red ink. Everyone knew red meant death.

‘Don’t think Go Soo oppa likes you, ! You don’t deserve him. If you see him again, just wait for more!’

Still in shocked, she ran to the back of the school. While running, she heard voices from some girl students along the lane.

“Booo you shameful girl!”

“You !”

“How come Go Soo oppa likes someone like that?”

Sat alone at the stairs where she met Go Soo, she burst into tears. She tried so hard not to become weak but imagine your best friend did that to you. And it’s because of a man. That popular man.

‘It’s okay, Ji Hyo ssi. Let it out.”

A man handed her a piece of handkerchief. It was Go Soo.

She didn’t take it. She was too afraid that the other girls might see it. She was scared of what would happen to her. She ran away from him.

-------------

Not days but weeks after, the girls didn’t stop harassing her. Each single day there must be something freaking scary happened to her.

She knew why Han Ji Min did that to her.

Ji Min was the president of Go Soo’s fan club. She just knew about it when she accidentally passed through a farewell party held for Go Soo in one of the classrooms. Ji Min was the party planner. She organized everything just for making sure the party was perfect. Ji Hyo sighed. From the day they fought, Ji Hyo knew she couldn’t trust this girl anymore. Their five years friendship was broken off. Since then, she became so blank. Nobody dared to talk to her, walk with her and even look at her. She was like a wandering soul.

-------------

“Did Go Soo back you up?”

“Yes, he did try. But because that was his final year, he was busy with his admission into university.”

Ji Hyo smiled, painfully.

“You’re so strong, Ji Hyo ah. Keep being strong!”

Jong Kook tapped her shoulder, giving her encouragement. He then smiled weirdly as if he was thinking something naughty. Without Ji Hyo noticing, he then pulled her ears and she screamed.

“Yah! Kim Jong Kook!!”

He tried to run but Ji Hyo already head-locked him. Poor Jong Kook now you deal with the Ace. The beach then witnessed the couple chasing and laughing like the whole world belonged to them.