Chapter 2

Sharing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

I woke up the next day with the sun already halfway up in the sky. I and my Mom usually sleep well into noon Sundays. She came home late last night since she helped in the unexpected birthing of Lily, one of the seals we’re taking care of in the marine sanctuary. I slowly got up, trying to think of what to cook for lunch when I happened to glance at my diary on my bed. I got into bed last night and wrote about my encounter with Choi Seunghyun. I wanted to tell Mom about it but I didn’t think she’ll be thrilled to learn that I spent time with a stranger. I am her one and only precious daughter after all.

 

 

We live in a typical stone house in Jeju. It has two bedrooms and we share the T&B. We have a huge yard with a tangerine tree in front which I planted 5 years ago and a small barn for Tamtam. My Mom drives an old pick up and although she can afford to buy a new one, she says that it’ll soon smell of animals and the ocean anyway. Actually, I wanted her to buy a new one because then I can get to drive the old car to school instead of taking the bus or the pink Vespa when the weather is good.

 

 

I took a quick shower and then went to the kitchen and cooked some rice and made some kimchi pork stew. While it was simmering, I went out to greet Tamtamie. I changed her water basin and took out the 2 apples from my short’s pockets. I gave each one a bite and then showed them to her before she took one in . This is our weird ritual. She will not eat them if I won’t taste them first. What can I say? I have a very suspicious horse. Tamtam must have been born into royalty in her previous life where there’s a food taster before she eats to check if there’s poison or something.

 

 

When she’s almost done with the second apple, I said my goodbye to check on my stew. It’s lunchtime now and I have to wake up my mother.

 

 

 

**************************

 

 

 

“You still haven’t heard from Bom?” my Mother asks. We are now enjoying the dessert that she brought home last night, my favourite strawberry cream cake.

 

 

I shook my head in the negative. “She told me last week that they’re catching a red eye flight Friday so they should have been here by now and I tried calling her phone but she wasn’t answering. I also called their house but it was the caretaker who answered and she said that Aunt and Uncle haven’t called as well,” referring to Bom’s parents.

 

 

“They must be having fun in America” my mother said, the ever optimist. “Don’t worry. I’m sure they’re fine.”

 

 

She then started to do the dishes while I stare at my phone, willing it to ring. I sighed. School starts tomorrow and I can’t imagine starting the senior year without my best friend with me.

 

 

“Dara, I would have to go back to the sanctuary to visit Lily’s pups later this afternoon. Would you like to see them?” my Mother asks, still busy with the dishes.

 

 

I smiled. “Definitely”

 

 

 

 

***************************

 

 

 

 

First day of school is always eventful. In every corner, you’ll see familiar faces, friends catching up, wide-eyed and nervous looking freshmen, boys who suddenly had growth spurts over the summer and girls mysteriously grow s. Le sigh. Sadly, I’m still short and with a miserable sized chest. 

 

 

I miss Bommie. She called late last night and said that their flight back to South Korea got postponed for a week because of family reasons. I asked what kind but she changed the subject. We chatted for only a few minutes because she said I need my beauty sleep. Like I care what I’ll look like at campus knowing that my high school crush Lee Donghae has graduated and moved to Seoul. I wanna tear up just thinking about him. Who will be my inspiration now? Suddenly, as if conjured by my mind, I see Seunghyun’s face. I blinked and blinked. I thought I saw him across the hall. Nah. It wasn’t him. What are the chances, right? 

 

 

I went inside the classroom and was greeted by a couple of gleeful squeals from my two other best girls, Chaerin and Minzy. I also didn’t see them all through summer with Chaerin going to Japan and Minzy visited her grandmother in Gwangju. I was the only one stuck in Jeju. I’m not complaining, though. I had a very productive summer which made me resolve my dream to follow in my mom’s footsteps as a marine biologist. Both girls regaled me with their adventures and I shared mine minus the part where I met Seunghyun. I wanted Bom to hear about it first. 

 

 

 

 

*******************************

 

 

 

 

The next day, there was an excited chatter mostly coming from the girls in our class. 

 

 

“What did I miss?” I asked as soon as I approached Chae’s group.

 

 

“We heard that there’s a new transferee and he’s hot!” Minzy beat the others in telling me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter