Chapter 8

Sharing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 8

 

 

 

 

It’s been a week since Bom’s first chemotherapy session and her parents had her checked in the hospital to make sure that everything went okay. I and my mother visited her the next day but she was so out of it that she was sleeping the whole time we were there. I just left her a short note with words of encouragement and to let her know that we dropped by. She was absent Monday. By Tuesday morning, she traipsed inside the classroom like nothing happened and by second period; she was back to her old jolly self. She said her treatment will be every two weeks and she already made arrangements with the school since she was advised by her doctors that it’s going to be inevitable that the drugs will take a toll on her body and she might have to stay away from school for a few days for the succeeding treatments. She was all relaying these to me like its regular everyday news and I tried my best to match her courage.

 

 

Meanwhile, school life got exciting with the flurry of activities left and right. The Student Council election is now done and Taeyang won by a landslide as expected. As for the school play, I was pumped up for the auditions and I’m almost sure that I will get the female lead. For Romeo, it was a well known fact that Song Joong Ki will play the part. He was indisputably the best actor in the drama club and also very good looking. He was the school’s flower boy heartthrob. If Donghae oppa wasn’t there, I would definitely have had a crush on Joong Ki. We weren’t particularly close so I was kinda surprised when he was kind enough to offer his time and practice lines with me. We stayed behind at school Wednesday and we made very good progress.

 

 

By Thursday afternoon, Seunghyun found us practicing some lines again for the audition which will happen Friday, under the biggest acacia tree near the cafeteria. Seunghyun and I had been constantly texting each other after our visit at his house although we rarely talked at school. I texted him earlier telling him that I will stay at school again with Joong Ki to practice.

 

 

Seunghyun casually stopped in front us and said hi. I introduced the two guys and then Seunghyun just casually said that he’ll wait for me and sat down beside me and began fiddling with his phone seemingly not paying attention to our practice. This was a first. He never publicly waited for me before. I told him that Joong Ki and I already made plans to get some ice cream after so I asked him if he would just like to join us. He raised one thick brow at me and then at Joong Ki.

 

 

“But you already agreed to have dinner with me and grandpa” he said.

 

 

I knotted my brows in confusion. “I did?”

 

 

“Yeah” he nodded. “Remember? You said yes last Monday.”

 

 

“But I didn’t know that it’ll be today” I argued.

 

 

“So you don’t want to?” His tone was low.

 

 

“Of course not. That’s not what I’m saying. I-It’s just that I wasn’t prepared …”

 

 

He didn’t say anything, but just kept looking at me as if expecting something. I sighed.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Joong Ki. It looks like we have to reschedule that ice cream.” He looked so downcast so I added, “Promise, it’ll be my treat, okay?”

 

 

His face lit up at that and due to the weird vibe between the two guys that I suggested for an early wrap up. I was confident that I had the lines memorized anyway.

 

 

“How about tomorrow after the auditions?” Joong Ki suggested. “Call?”

 

 

“Call!” I replied gamely and we smiled as we said our goodbyes.

 

 

He left first and Seunghyun and I walked over to the parking lot to get to his motorcycle.

 

 

“You could have told me earlier that the dinner will be today, you know” I gently admonished. I may appear casual about the whole invitation thing but inside, I was giddy. I mean, he previously said that he would cook for us. It may not be a romantic dinner date with the fact that we will be with his grandfather but still, it’s a big thing when a guy cooks for a girl right?

 

 

“I just felt like having spaghetti now” he answered. He mentioned before that his specialty is pasta.

 

 

“Ooohhhh … so I get to finally taste the best spaghetti in the world?” I teased.

 

 

He smirked. “It’s gonna be soooo good, you’re going to forget your name.”

 

 

And Seunghyun did deliver. It was the best spaghetti with meatballs ever. While he cooked, I played Go Stop with Psy oppa and Mrs. Lee, the ahjumma next door. We then had dinner together and being a school night, I left soon after.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We are now sitting in front of each other at the little wooden swing with a roof that my Mom had installed two years ago in front of our porch. Mom already said hi to Seunghyun when she heard his motorcycle when we arrived and invited him to come and have dinner with us one day. He said he’d love to and Mom left us then. The night wind was kind of warm for a change and both of us seemed reluctant to end the night but tomorrow is a big day for us so I reminded him that it’s getting late.

 

 

He let out a sigh. The swinging motion stopped and he stepped out but I remained inside the swing. He faced me, holding on to both ends of the bars of the swing, kinda leaning over inside. “Good luck tomorrow on your audition. I’m sure you’ll get the lead part.”

 

 

 “You, too.”

 

 

All classes tomorrow afternoon are cancelled to give way to Org Week. It’s mandatory for all students to join at least one club and I persuaded Suenghyun to try out for the Soccer team.

 

 

“Too bad your try out and my audition will be held around the same time.” I sounded forlorn. “I really do want to see you play and cheer for you.”

 

 

“That’s okay” he shrugged. “Maybe you can catch up after you’re done.”

 

 

“That’s the plan” I grinned.

 

 

With heavy feet, I stood up and walked him to his bike. “Drive safely, okay.”

 

 

He hopped on Monster and picked up his helmet but delayed putting it on. “Tomorrow …” he began.

 

 

When he didn’t continue, “What about tomorrow?” I prodded.

 

 

He ran his fingers though his hair. “Tomorrow, are you really going to that date with that guy?”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“That guy. Ice cream.”

 

 

My mouth formed an O shape.

 

 

“You remember now?” he said childishly and I smiled inwardly.

 

 

Seunghyun is acting cute. Gah! I composed myself. “It’s not a date.”

 

 

“Sounds like a date to me.” He pouted. Kyeopta. Can I spazz?

 

 

“It’s not. I just wanted to treat him for helping me …”

 

 

“He likes you, you know …”

 

 

“What?” I exclaimed, surprised. “He does not. How can you tell? You just met him.”

 

 

“He does. Can’t YOU tell?” he asked, turning the tables on me.

 

 

I decided to . “I can’t. You know, I’m the type of girl who can’t tell if somebody likes me especially if the guy doesn’t say the actual words.”

 

 

“Really?”

 

 

“Yup” I nodded and folded my arms. “In fact, I wouldn’t know if a guy likes me even after say – picking me up at school and driving me home, or cooking me some dinner … that kind of stuff … I’d still be clueless if he doesn’t confess face to face.” I said boldly.

 

 

“Is that so?” he appeared to be thinking and then he said, looking at me with a straight face. “And I thought you’re a one smart woman.”

 

 

Once his words sinked in, “Did you just insult me?” I feigned to be angry. “Ya! Choi Seunghyun!”

 

 

He chuckled and started his engine, revving it up. “Hey, tangerine girl”

 

 

“What?” I answered grumpily.

 

 

“Don’t go.”

 

 

“Bwoh?”

 

 

“Just … don’t.”

 

 

And just when I thought he was going to drive off, he suddenly leaned over and kissed me swiftly on the cheek making my heart skip a beat and then he casually put on his helmet.

 

 

“Night, Dara.” He gave a final wave and just like that time when he first kissed me, I stood there immobile until I couldn’t see him anymore.

 

 

When I gathered my wits, I went inside the house and leaned my back on the front door after closing it, feeling the beat of a thousand drums in my chest.

 

 

“I saw that.” Came my Mother’s voice all of a sudden which made me jump in fright. My heart rate was already at a lightning speed and it was a miracle I didn’t experience a cardiac arrest.

 

 

“Mom!”

 

 

“Aren’t you going to tell me something?” she asked, with her arms folded in front of her chest.

 

 

“There’s nothing to tell.” I mumbled, making a beeline to my room trying to escape her watchful eyes. “G’nyt Mom!”

 

 

 

 

********************************

 

 

 

Dear Diary,

 

 

 

Seunghyun is either making my heart skip a beat or make it run a mile a minute. I swear my heart is going to collapse one day due to confusion.

 

 

But then again, he was soooo cute acting jealous. That’s why I’ll forgive him for stealing another kiss.

 

 

Next time (assuming there’s a next time), I’m going to be angry … errr … pretend be angry at least. Giddiness overload!

 

 

 

~xoxo

D~

 

 

 

********************************

 

 

 

 

It’s now 4 o’clock in the afternoon. Miss Eun Hye, our club adviser, made me stay to help screen the newbies who wanted to be part of the club. Auditions for the main characters are done and everybody already congratulated me and Joong Ki for getting the lead roles. There was no official announcement yet but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Chaerin, who’s in charge of the wardrobe design team, was already yapping about the wonderful gown that she has planned for me. Bom and Minzy are at their Glee club so they weren’t with us.

 

 

The rest of the club members are sitting in the auditorium as well as the aspiring actors waiting patiently for the official list from Miss Eun Hye. She promised to have the names ready by 5 o’clock and everyone’s eager to see the list.

 

 

I wanted to sneak out to catch Seunghyun’s try-out but being the President of Drama club, I had my responsibilities to attend to. So here I am, standing on the stage, occasionally playing different parts to help the hopefuls read their lines if the scene needed an acting partner. If a male character is needed, it was Joong Ki who stepped up.

 

 

We were down to the last auditionee and the poor guy was so nervous that he was stuttering and blanked out in the middle of reciting the lines of Mercutio. Miss Eun Hye took pity and just said thank you to end his suffering.

 

 

I gave a huge sigh of relief. Finally!

 

 

I was about to jump from the stage to sprint out but all of our attention was caught by the sudden opening of the auditorium door and in came a guy who was rushing inside. I see his silhouette from where I was, his outline was framed by the light outside. He appeared to be catching his breath with both of his hands on his knees. When he straightened, I was shocked to see Seunghyun. What was he doing here?

 

 

“I’m sorry for being late” he announced, walking closer to the stage. “Are the auditions done? I would like to try out.”

 

 

My jaw dropped to the ground.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing?” I murmured, with only the right side of my mouth moving. Seunghyun and I are standing side by side on the stage after he was allowed to audition.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter