Chapter 9

Sharing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 9

 

 

 

 

Bom’s sessions are held every two weeks and on the second one, she refused to be hospitalized and begged for her parents to let her come home after the deed. She called me that night sounding so exhausted and asked me if I can sleep over. My Mom drove me. On her third session, I wanted to come with them to the hospital but her parents said that it’ll be better if I just waited for them at home which I did. Bom’s complexion looked so sallow and pale when they arrived. Bom was vomiting almost nonstop for 2 hours and she was crying that she doesn’t want to continue with the treatment anymore. It was her only moment of weakness. The next day, she was almost back to normal again but she felt so weak that she had to skip school for 2 days. Our friends were starting to notice her increasing absences and bouts of nausea but I kept my mouth shut. It was not my place to tell them.

 

 

After 2 months, the secret can’t be kept anymore. She started losing hair and everyday at school, she would either wear a beanie or those hippie scarves slash bandannas. Bom’s doctors recommended brain surgery as soon as possible. They said that chemo and radiation weren’t helping and that the cancer has progressively and aggressively grown. Surgery was their last option. We had a crying session at that.

 

 

Two weeks before her scheduled surgery, we were in our Math class when I heard Bom groaning, holding her head in both hands, almost doubled over in her seat.

 

 

“Bom, are you okay?” I stupidly asked. I can see her in pain but it was all my panicked brain could think of.

 

 

Suddenly, without a warning, she collapsed.

 

 

I knelt over her and began crying. “Call an ambulance!” I yelled to the shocked faces of our classmates.

 

 

Our Math teacher, Miss Yoon recovered almost immediately and asked the other students who crowded around us to move and give Bom some breathing room. She then ordered Taeyang and Seungri to bring Bom to the infirmary. The two boys readily followed her orders and I half ran with them followed by a trail of some of our friends like Chaerin and Minzy.

 

 

The resident nurse called an ambulance and Principal Kang also showed up in the crowded clinic. Seeing the number of students inside, he told them to go back inside the classroom. When no one moved, Miss Yoon bellowed. “Back to the room, NOW!”

 

 

And they left. Seungri and Taeyang stayed behind with me, though.

 

 

“Let’s just take her to the hospital using my car” Our principal suggested. “She might need immediate assistance.”

 

 

Miss Yoon agreed. The 2 boys then carried Bom and gently placed Bom at the backseat of Principal Kang’s car and they also climbed in the car, protecting Bom on both sides.

 

 

“Miss Park, can you please call Bom’s parents and let them know that I’ll take her to the Main hospital?” Principal requested.

 

 

I nodded tearily. Of course her parents need to be informed.

 

 

Miss Yoon took the front seat and there was no more room for me.

 

 

“Dara” she called. “Please take care of the class. Can you do that for me?”

 

 

“B-but I want to come with -”

 

 

“We’ll take care of her” she sympathized. “What she needs right now are her parents so please do call them, arrasseo?”

 

 

I could only nod and as they drove off. I nervously dialed Aunt’s number. Oh God! How do I tell her Omma the news?

 

 

 

 

 

The class was still abuzz when I got back inside. I can still hear Bom’s Mom crying in my head. I was so scared and worried that I couldn’t address all of our classmate’s questions. I couldn’t tell them. I also called my mother asking her if she can pick me up so we can go to the hospital after school and she said she’ll leave work early. She was also anxious to know of Bom’s condition.

 

 

When we arrived at the hospital, we were greeted by the sight of Taeyang and Seungri sitting along the row of plastic chairs in the hallway, together with our teacher, all with eyes that I can tell just cried. I suspect the boys now know the real situation and Seungri for once was at a loss for words when he saw me followed by Chaerin and Minzy who rode along in the car with us. I couldn’t deny them since I know that they were worried for Bom, too.

 

 

I knocked on the door and Aunt opened it. Principal Kang then went out and I saw that Bom was asleep. It’s with the help of pain killers, her mom said. Mom then consoled Aunt and Uncle and I woodenly walked to Bom’s bed with Chae and Minzy trailing behind. I wanted to hug my best friend but I was afraid to speak or touch her. I cried my tears silently and Minzy then couldn’t resist asking what’s really wrong with our friend. They must be really confused right now given the somber mood from everyone.

 

 

Aunt called them over and she ushered them outside. I reckon she will be the one to tell them. I was left alone in the room. I gently placed my hand over Bom’s. I didn’t say a word. I just wanted to feel her warmth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, rumors of Bom’s illness have spread like wildfire across the campus. The girls were quick to assure me that they were not the ones who spread the news even if I didn’t ask them about it. I didn’t care who spread the rumor. I just wanted the news that’s going around to be what’s true. I have heard several versions of what happened yesterday when Bom collapsed. I have heard that she was really pregnant … no, she had abortion in the US and is having side effects … she really has AIDS … If the situation wasn’t so serious; it could almost have been funny. It was like Seunghyun all over again.

 

 

By lunchtime, most of the students have gravitated toward our group’s somber table in the cafeteria. Gone were the usual banters and laughter. Everyone was silent and just going through the motions of eating. One thing we agreed upon though was visit Bom after school and to try to appear cheerful in front of her. I briefly saw Seunghyun walk in together with 2 of his male classmates but he didn’t stop by, seeing that our table is full. They sat at the other end of the room. I did receive a message soon after he sat down saying that he heard about Bom and that he’ll wait for me after class.

 

 

I glanced at his direction and saw him looking at me. I gave him a brief nod.

 

 

He was waiting by my locker after the last school bell rang for the day. Together, we walked side by side towards the parking lot. He inquired about Bom and that it must have been a shock to everyone. I told him that I’ve known for awhile but had to keep it a secret because he said he was worried knowing how much I care a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter