Chapter 4: JYJ from 東方神起

2:1 (Two is to one)

 

(News)

 

-2009: Lawsuit against SM Entertainment

 
In mid-2009, the three TVXQ members who were to become JYJ filed a lawsuit against their South Korean record label, SM Entertainment, arguing that the 13-year length and structure of their exclusive contracts as well as the terms of profit distribution were unilaterally disadvantageous towards the artists and should be invalidated. The Seoul Central District Court in October 2009 ruled in favor of JYJ affirming their right to independently engage in entertainment activities and granted JYJ's injunction suspending the JYJ-SM contract; its ruling emphatically pointed out it was a "subjugating contract" with terms that are grossly incompatible with Korean labor and contract law.

 

- The three members of JYJ continued their activities in Japan for over half a year after the filing of the injunction until their Japanese agency, Avex, announced a group hiatus in early 2010.
 

-On 17 February 2011, the Seoul Central District Court dismissed SM Entertainment's injunction against the three members.

 

-2010: Japanese activities, lawsuit and hiatus
 

TVXQ started out the year with their twenty-ninth single, "Break Out!", released on January 27, 2010, which created a new record for the group. The single topped the Oricon, selling 256,000 copies in its first week and breaking Elton John's record for the highest first week sales for a foreign artist, which had lasted for 14 years and 8 months.  In February, the group was chosen to sing the opening song "With All My Heart -君が踊る、夏-" for the Japanese movie "君が踊る、夏 / Kimi ga Odoru, Natsu", which hit the screens in September 2010. On March 24, 2010, TVXQ released a new single called "Toki o Tomete". TVXQ's Japanese album, The Best Selection 2010 surpassed the 500,000 mark, achieving double platinum in February, and transcended the 700,000 mark in March, becoming their best sale in Japan. With this TVXQ became the first foreign boy band and also the first foreign male artists to sell over 700,000 albums in Japan. 
On April 3, 2010, Avex announced the hiatus of TVXQ's Japanese activities and that it would focus on helping each member with their solo activities. Avex announced later that month that Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu would appear as a subgroup of TVXQ (JYJ) in the Thanksgiving Live in Dome concert in Japan. 
From August to September 2010, Yunho and Changmin performed as TVXQ in Seoul, Los Angeles and Shanghai as part of the SMTown Live '10 World Tour. 
On November 23, 2010, SM Entertainment announced that TVXQ would be returning as a duo consisting of U-Know Yunho and Max Changmin in early 2011. On November 24, 2010, Avex Entertainment, as well as SM Entertainment Japan, released a statement regarding the renewal of SM artists' contracts with Avex, including TVXQ who would continue as a duo under Avex Trax. 

 

-Debut as JYJ, Japan Tour and The Beginning 
 

The three-member group was announced in April 2010 by Rhythm Zone, a sub-label of Avex. The group performed two rounds of lives: the four-day Thanksgiving Live in Dome concerts at Osaka Dome and Tokyo Dome in June, and performances at the nation wide a-nation tour throughout August. The group's debut release, The..., was released in September 2010, and debuted at number one on Oricon albums charts with 140,000 copies sold in the first week. The DVD for their Thanksgiving Live in Dome concerts sold 116,000 copies the first week after being released. Both the album and DVD debuted at #1 on Oricon's DVD and album chart in the same week.
In September 2010, Avex Entertainment announced to suspend all of JYJ's Japanese activities. Avex claims this stems from issues the label had with the president of the group's Korean management, C-JeS Entertainment. JYJ stated it was a conflict over new terms demanded by Avex in contract renegotiation.
The group released their English-language global debut album under Warner Music Asia, The Beginning, on October 12, with the Kanye West produced single "Ayyy Girl" as lead track. Two weeks before the release of the album, 500,000 copies of The Beginning had been pre-ordered and pre-sales for the 99,999-copies of the special edition of the album reached 400,000 requests. JYJ promoted the new album via a worldwide showcase tour throughout October and November with dates in South Korea, Southeast Asia and the United States. On November 27th and 28th, they launched JYJ Worldwide Concert in Seoul, a two-day concert that was held at Seoul's Jamsil Olympic Stadium with a total seating of 100,000 (50,000 for each show). It was directed by well-known concert producer Jeri Slaughter.
In spite of a ban in the Entertainment Departments of South Korea's three main terrestrial broadcasters, JYJ had their first public broadcast performance on December 31, 2010 at the 2010 KBS Drama Awards. They sung 찾았다 “Found You” – a ballad track from the drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal which starred member Yoochun.

 

-2011: Worldwide Tour and In Heaven 
 

JYJ released their Korean EP, Their Rooms "Our Story" on January 25, 2011 in the format of a "music essay." Despite the majority of sales being counted in the books rather than CD category, the album sold well enough to chart on Hanteo.
In the spring of 2011, JYJ launched their first Worldwide Tour as a group with concerts held in Thailand, Taiwan, China, Canada, and the United States. In addition, JYJ held two rounds of a special charity concert in Tokyo to benefit those affected by the Tōhoku Earthquake. They also held two special encore concert performances in South Korea: one in Busan and the other in Gwangju.
JYJ extended their World Tour by adding a European leg in October and November with dates in Barcelona, Spain and Berlin, Germany.
In September, JYJ released their first Korean studio album entitled In Heaven. There were over 300,000 pre-orders on the first day of advance sales alone. The album sold 165,000 copies within 3 days of being released and reached 220,000 copies sales in October according to Gaon Chart.
JYJ held their "Unforgettable Live Concert in Japan" on October 15 and October 16 with over 84,000 in attendance. They were praised for the choice to hold these concerts in Ibaraki Prefecture, a region hit hard economically by the earthquake.

JYJ released Come On Over, a DVD documentary about the 3 members’ private lives, at the end of 2011.
 

-Return as duo, Keep Your Head Down and TONE


TVXQ's newest album, Keep Your Head Down, was released in South Korea on January 5, 2011 and ranked at #1 on the Gaon Chart two weeks after release. Gaon Chart's half-year sales chart ranked TVXQ's album Keep Your Head Down as the highest selling album of the year to date, with a total of 230,922 copies sold from January to June 2011. In addition, the repackaged album of Keep Your Head Down ranked #9 on the same chart and sold 55,243 copies, making the total sales figure 286,185. 
Their Japanese single "Why? (Keep Your Head Down)," released by Avex Trax in Japan on January 26, 2011, sold 231,000 copies in the first week and reached #1 on the Oricon singles Daily, Weekly, and Monthly charts. On July 20, the duo released the Japanese single "Superstar," which sold over 184,000 copies and was certified Gold by month's end.

 


2010

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

“LET’S DO THIS! YOOCHUN AND JUNSU! FIGHTING!!!” As I gather us three before we start to perform on stage. 

 

 This is the start as we perform as trio. It was really unbearable to be able to stand again on stage just us three. I can't help but miss the two of them from the bottom of my heart, they’re still here. No matter what. Kim Junsu, Park Yoochun, you guys are my everything

 

the same as Shim Changmin and Jung Yunho.

Chajatta - LIVE (KBS Drama Awards) 31\12\2010

 

Honestly, at first I didn't know, though it was an accidental encounter

Till now, I've learned more about sorrow than happiness

Though I was full of tears, I will bring you only laughter

I must have finally found my other half

My heart is racing like this

Found you my love, The person I've been searching for

I want to share a heated embrace with you

Stay still and close your eyes

So I can kiss you on the lips

I love you, its you who I love

Found you! The person I'll keep by my side

Though I had kept my heart closed, I'll give my heart to you

I must have finally found my other half

My heart is racing like this

Found you my love, The person I've been searching for

I want to share a heated embrace with you

Stay still and close your eyes

So I can kiss you on the lips

I love you, its you who I love

Found you! The person I'll keep by my side

The person who embraced all the painful wounds on my closed heart

I want to love you more and more, for eternity

Found you my love, The person I've been searching for

I want to share a heated embrace with you

Stay still and close your eyes

So I can kiss you on the lips,

Stay still and close your eyes

So I can kiss you on the lips

I love you, its you who I love

Found you! The person I'll keep by my side

 

Thank you... For coming to my side....


 

Mary’s POV

*at the restaurant*


     While eating, I notice that Steph looks so down and depress. From that, I guess I really know what happened. "I knew it Steph! I knew it! You look so down.  It's about Jaejoong's look-a-like am I right?" She didn't answer me instead she just looks down and eat her food. As her bestfriend, I want to cheer her up and give advice that can help her to think positively. So I just started to talk once again and give her my words of wisdom. "But one more thing Steph" I said. “Don't be afraid to do something that can make you happy. If you’re in doubt always remember that you can always try. If it hurts you in the end, it’s ok. Even if you got hurt, at least you give it a try and most especially, it made you smile/happy. Soon it will just be a memory that we can laugh about with." I smiled an encouraging smile but when I said all of that Steph looked at me and her expression was like "..." Yes she’s a little slow and I am aware of that so.....  "Ok. I get it. It means that....." She started to understand and smile like an idiot. "No. I already get it. I just need some time for my brain to process what you've said. Serotonin right?" After what Steph have said, we are all laughing like crazy. I feel good to see her cheering up! Besides who knows it will be worth it to know that Jaejoong’s look-alike-guy is. There's nothing wrong in trying. I’ll support her on this one. I’ll definitely by Steph’s side. I suddenly changed the topic. Come on! I want to talk about my Yunho this time hehehe. “Steph! OMG! Did you see the latest photos of Yunho and about Changmin? Gawd both of them. I just can’t help not to fall for those two!” I talked so much even earlier while all Steph does was staring at her food and keep on nodding. “Yeah! Those guys omo their so hot! Same with Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu! Kyaaaaaa!” We both screamed and spazz. Fangirl craze mode on until our time for the next class is up.


Chris’ POV


     Another day for me, another day of school. I was getting ready when I suddenly received a text message. From my surprise, it’s from the girl that made me feel something since that day we met, a girl that I’ve remember the name in an instance and a girl which is automatically appeared on my mind any time of the day especially when I am about to sleep. It’s from Steph. I thought she does not want to text me anymore because of what happened. I did't even get a reply from her when I send her my apology. And from that day up to now *approximately 2 weeks?* she didn't text me back. So when I see her name flash on my cellphone screen, I don't know but a smile appears on my face.

"Good Morning Chris. I'm sorry if I did not reply on your apology message.
I was so shock when I received the text message. I don't want your girlfriend to think
anything else so I stop texting you. But then I decided to send this
message to let you know that you don't have to say sorry. I completely
understand why your girlfriend did that. I'm a girl too. I just hope your
relationship with each other will not be affected by that incident. So that's it.
Thank you for reading. ^_^"

-Steph

“I just hope your relationship with each other will not be affected by this incident.” Oh right. She doesn’t know that we are already over and that’s the reason why my 'ex' girlfriend texted her that. So I decided to reply while lying on my bed since it’s still early.

“Good Morning Steph. Long time no text. I thought you don’t
want to talk to me anymore after that incident. It’s good that you
replied my message for you, my apology message to be exact. Btw, I appreciate your concern about our relationship
but we are over since the day you goy a reply from her. Oh, btw I need to
go to school now. I bet you too. Take Care! See you in school and
your welcome! ;)”

-Chris


     I got up from my bed and look at the mirror to see if my uniform got ruined. Thank God it’s not. I just read her message once again and my heart. I feel something. It's something that I didn't feel for a long time. What is this feeling? Ah! Maybe it’s just another infatuation thing that I’ve felt in most of all the girls I’ve met.

*But this feeling is different...*


 

“Hey Chris!” My friend Kevin called me. “Yo! Wazzup’?” I said. “There is a dance competition in one of the most popular university here in our country and being a dance master, I’ve thought if you want to join?” When I hear the word dance, it lightened up my mood! I really love to dance since I was in elementary and being a famous dancer is one of my dreams so without hesitation, “Of course! I’d love to! You will join my group right?” I said with a super happy tone. “Of course!” Then after we talked, I and my crew started to practice. Kevin said that they already passed the form to the university but we need to go there tomorrow to check and get the tickets. Dancing is my life. I dance not because of music but I dance with my heart.

*in the university*

 

“OMG! He’s so handsome!”  a student from the university said.

“What is he doing here?”  her friend whisper 

“I hope he will study here in our university though!”  another friend of her said.

 

While walking inside to get the tickets, I noticed that all of the girls are looking at me. I am not new with this kind of happenings so I just give out a little smirk and continue to walk until we finally reach the P.E department.

 

“Hello there. Are you one of the finalists in the dance competition?” The teacher asked. “Yes we are. And we are here to get the tickets.” Kevin answered. The teacher then handed us the tickets and some broshures about the event. “Oh. Here. There are 2 free tickets so it’s up to you if to whom you’ll give it.” She smiled at us. “Thank you  교수님 gyo su nim!” Kevin said. I suddenly scrunch up my brows thinking. There are 2 free tickets? She appeared on my mind again. I think I know to whom i’ll give this. Yeah I’ll definitely give this to her. All of a sudden I got interrupted by Kevin.

 

“Chris!” He grabs my shoulder as I looked at him. “Let’s check those girls out.” He smirked when he whispered in my left ear. I smirk back. “Sure.”

 

 After going to the said university, me and Kevin started to hangout with the girls who studied there until we got home exactly 10:35 in the evening. We totally had a great time. We drink, smoke name it. I even kissed the girl I like. We totally make out to be honest.

 

When I sat at my bed side not yet changing. I grab my bag to check my things. I noticed the tickets and there are two more tickets which is free. I remembered that I need to give this to someone. That someone is Stephanie. I grab my phone in my pocket and started to text her.

 

“Good Evening Steph. How are you? Hope you're fine. Sorry it's kinda late but how’s school? I’m sure you’re really tired and exhausted

because of all the requirements that is needed in your course. Well, that’s nursing life though. Anyway, are you free tomorrow? Can we meet in the hallway near

the auditorium? I will just give you something. Aaaah! I'm so tired too today. Ahmm yeah see you tomorrow! Goodnight! :* ahehe"

-Chris

 

     After I send it to her I got up and change into my wife beater and pajamas. This day is really tiring, can’t wait for tomorrow. I’m going to see her! Wait why am I so excited? I feel irritated when it comes to her, But why do I feel this much happiness just by talking to her? I’m trying to ignore this feeling. I don’t like her. Or maybe I do? I don't know what's happening to me. I better hook up with some girls right now. I need to have girlfriend and its not her. Not Steph. After so much thinking about my feelings for her, My tiredness sink in as I closed my eyes.

 

*at school*

 

I am waiting at the hallway near the auditorium for almost 45 minutes now. “Where is she? It’s already lunch time.”

 

*Flashback*

 

“Good Evening Steph. How are you? Hope your fine. Sorry it's kinda late but how’s school? I’m sure you’re really tired and exhausted

because of all the requirements that is needed in your course. Well, that’s nursing life though. Anyway, are you free tomorrow? Can we meet in the hallway near

the auditorium? I will just give you something. Aaaah! I'm so tired too today. Ahmm yeah see you tomorrow! Goodnight! :* ahehe

-Chris

 

After a few minutes, I got a reply from her.

 

“Good Evening Chris. Yeah I’m fine and you are too right?

We’re so busy as always. Anyway, yeah. I’m free.

We still have lunch break. Heheh, Just see you

in the hallway at around 11:30 am. Take a rest now.

Goodnight! ^_^”

-Steph

 

I fell asleep after reading her reply for me.

 

*end of flashback*

 

It’s already 11:45 where is she? >.< Well I am just too early. I am here at exactly 11:00 am. Excited maybe. When I am about to text her, I heard someone call my name and when I turned around and see who it is; a smile appears on my face. My dimples are now visible at the right side of my cheeks.

 

I heard her as she catch her breath from running. “Chris! Sorry I’m late. We need to finish something before gyo su nim allows us to leave the room. I'm Sorry.” She said sadly while not looking at me and she just stared on the floor. Actually I am willing to wait for her even for 3 hours or more! Wait what did I just said? My class starts by 5 anyway. It's kinda late but that's the schedule of my class. Before my mind could think of anything else again, I started to speak and talk to her. I need to explain why I need to see her. “No. It’s alright. I know how busy nursing students are and besides I came here just now.” I lied and handed her two free extra tickets for the dance competition that we joined yesterday. “So here.” Suddenly her facial expression from being upset to confused. Oh I totally forgot. I just gave her the tickets without explaining why and what it is for. Pabo me.  “Oh yeah uhmm w-we’ve joined the dance battle. I want you to come and c-cheer for us." Just for me actually. "We will be the representative of our school. If its okay with you? Since this is two, you can give it to your friend. Hope you can come. It’s going to be this Saturday night so I think you don’t have any excuses to make?” She smiled and her smile makes me feel good. I felt happiness and joy. Wait! Did I just stuttered while explaining this stuffs to her. What is happening to me. This is so not me and this is just another random girl. Just another girl for me. I'm just being nice and I'm a playboy, I'm just being friendly that's all. Yeah that's just it. I furrowed my eyebrows silently thinking and confused as to why I am feeling this way. Then she suddenly stared at me and I froze while she's still smiling. “Oh. I see, uhmm yeah sure I'll definitely go and I will ask my friend too. Good luck to all of you! Hope you guys will win.” She smiled wider as she cheered me up, I suddenly feel more determined and inspired. We will definitely win this competition. For me, for the school, for our group,  for her. I was shocked by my thought. Win for her?! My eyes widened. While she keeps on staring and still smiling at me. Suddenly her friends call her. “Oh, Chris I have to go now. My friends are waiting for me. See you on Saturday! Good luck again. FIGHTING!” She waves at me and turned around running towards her friends. While I stared at her back  she was smiling and  laughing with them.  I'm in deep thoughts right now. She's different. I shrugged my feelings off for her and leave the hallway with a smile plastered on my face.


 

Steph’s POV

 

I can't believe this! He texted me! Oh my God! Did he just text me to meet him in the hallway near the auditorium? It's kinda late when I received his text message. But yeah I will definitely come before 11:30 a.m. I need to come and be exactly on time. I hope we don't have much things to do. I want to meet up with him exactly right on time.

Unfortunately we have so many things to do that's why I came late. I run from our department building (nursing department) until to the hallway. It's quite a bit far but I have to. Until I saw him standing.

I tensed up. I feel that the guy who was waiting for me is none other than Kim Jaejoong. Oh God. I'm so shy right now.


*earlier*

"Steph! Why such in a hurry?" Mary said. "I have to go in the hallway he's waiting for me. Just wait for me in the canteen. I'll come back." I said as I hurriedly ran out from our room. "Yah! Stephanie! Who is he?" She shouted at me. I’m quite far already heading on my way. "Aish that girl didn't even say who that man is."  Mary mumbled while she held her books tighter.  Oh Maybe it's the look-a-like guy. Mary smirk just by thinking about that.

---

After I got the free tickets, I keep on wondering why he gave it to me. Of all the thousands girls he knew, why me? Am I special to him? Ah! Stop it Steph! You’re just nothing to him. NOTHING TO HIM. Just some random girl for him. SO DON'T ASSUME THINGS. 

*Thursday Morning*

I woke up from my sleep and check my cellphone. I got a lot of messages from my friends but one message took my attention. And it’s from, who else?

“Good Morning Steph! Rise and Shine!

Don’t forget to eat breakfast. Don’t skip

Meals! And don’t forget the competition

On Saturday. Take care! :*”

-Chris

 

As I read his message, can’t help but to feel happy. My cheeks turned red as I blushed. Seriously my one and only crush, yeah I like him already,  the only one who looks like Kim Jaejoong is sending this kind of message? Oh Lord. To tell the truth, I'm falling for this guy already. I like him. I can't help it. My heart is just too fast to be fall in love. This is not just because he looks like my ultimate idol and love. This feeling of mine is not that idol+fan feeling. It's more than that. I really do love Jaejoong. But this guy is something. And I like him.

And one thing for sure he doesn’t know how much he make me happy. Thank you, Chris. For making me feel this way.


*at school*

While choosing some of snacks in the canteen I bumped into my friend. She's with the same college/course/field with Chris.

“Hey Steph!” Lorraine unnie called me. She’s my friend’s cousin who happened to be Christopher's classmate. We became close since the day she knew that I like Chris.

She's kind and I'm quite shy because she knows I have a crush for her classmate. She knows him well too.

 “Hello Unnie! Are you alone? Come join us.” I invited her since it’s her breaktime as well. She suddenly burst out to me while I'm drinking my favorite milk. I almost choke a bit as she held me in my shoulder giggling at the same time. “Did you know that Chris didn’t take the test because he doesn't have any pad paper? Aish! Our professor in History is very strict! She said we must learn how to bring our own pad paper. You know every prof keeps on reminding us about this.” She winked at me. This unnie of mine keeps telling me about Chris. And I was like, . What’s with that guy?! Not bringing his own pad paper!? And what’s with their teacher?! Not letting him take the exam/quiz/test name it! aaaaaish I feel so irritated now and worried as well. I didn't let unnie notice me since I don't want her to tease me. I’m worrying about him. What's happening to me? Jaejoong, Jaejoong. I was chanting my one and only love of my life idols' name. Suddenly "Steph! Are you alright?! The milk is spilling." Lorraine unnie was shocked seeing me drinking my milk while it spills from my lips. It's embarassing. I am drooling! And I just stared at her. I'm slow if you noticed "Oh God!" I grab my handkerchief and immediately wipe my mouth. I noticed some students looking and laughing at me same with my friends together with us. I just smile feeling embarassed. "Hehe."


 Since my class will start at 3 pm and it’s only 1 pm, I decided to go to the bookstore and buy a pad paper. Yes I know it’s kind of’ embarrassing again but who cares? I want to give something for him. After 30 minutes, I went back to the cafeteria and gave it to Lorraine Unnie. “Here uhmm can you give this to him. But please don’t tell him that it’s from me.” I pleaded. “Just make any excuses if he asks where it came from, Lorraine Unnie. I know you’re expert in doing that.” All of us laugh. “Ok I will. You really like him huh?” Lorraine Unnie said in between her laugh. Yeah I like him so much.

 

*friday Morning*

 

Aaaaaah! What a great sleep! Thank God it’s Friday! Last day of the week. Rest time! I really hope so as I check my messages, as always, he  sent me a message. Well, I am receiving a morning text from him everyday and I admit, it can complete my entire day.

“Good Morning Stephie. How’s your sleep?

It’s Friday already! Hope you can rest during the

Weekends but I’m sorry I will not let you rest until

Tomorrow night. I am really expecting your presence

In the dance competition tomorrow. I know we can win

if you’re there. Oh, btw, thank you for the pad paper.

I am really embarrassed but I really appreciate it.

Well, Take Care on your way to school. Eat breakfast! :*

-Chris

 

I don’t know what to feel! Kyaaaaaaaaa~! I’m just really happy after reading his message again!

1st he called me Stephie, it’s cute somehow.

2nd he said that he’s sorry for not letting me rest until tomorrow, oh gawd! I am willing to attend every event he wanted me to attend ofcourse. I’ll support him I giggled.

3rd  the pad paper. WTH! How did he know that I am the one who gave it to him?! Grrrr Lorraine Unnie! OMONA! Lastly,

 

"I know we can win if you’re there.”  

What does he mean of this? No. Steph. Don’t fall with his sweet words. THIS IS JUST TO MUCH FOR MY HEART TO TAKE. It’s just his way for you to go to that event. Nothing more. So stop thinking to much. DON'T OVER ANALYZE.

 

But whatever it means, this message will be memorable for me. Actually his every message is memorable for me already. There's just one thing that I need to remember.

 

I must not give meaning in his every word. I don’t want to be hurt because of assuming something. 

I don’t want to hope for nothing.