Danger & Allies

The Clans of Love

The next morning Maxie and Viisa decided to eat breakfast at their favorite little café near the town center. They needed to go shopping anyway and Maxie really needed to find out all the juicy details of Viisa’s apparently amazing date.

  “Come on. You can’t just drop a bomb like ‘we kissed’ and then leave it there. You have to tell me the whole story!” Maxie pleaded in her usual, eager manner.

  “Will you cut it out? There’s nothing special to tell. We went to the movies, it was awkward at first, but once we got to talking it, um, wasn’t anymore”, Viisa explained, not sure if she could stand another question from her best friend. She loved her, but at this point she was very much ready to kill her if she didn’t stop pleading for details. Especially, when it was hard enough as it was to hide the fact that Kris wasn’t the guy she’d kissed – or the guy she liked, for that matter. Her opinion on Kris, on the other hand, was simple: he was a douchebag.

  Maxie rolled her eyes and finally decided to give up. “Fine, fine. I’ll stop pleading, but with one condition”, she said. If she wouldn’t get all the details, she might as well get something out of this.

  “Which is?”

   “You’ll have a double date with Luhan and me”, she explained as they sat down by their usual table at the café.

  Viisa tried to keep her eyes from widening. Was this a joke? It was like the universe was trying to break her and Minseok up. Luckily, she had the perfect excuse.

  “Come on. We’ve only been on one date. I don’t want to freak him out by introducing him to you two”, she explained as Maxie ordered for them.

  “What’s wrong with me and Luhan?”

  “You – both of you – act like you’re my parents. You ask demanding, interrogating questions that would creep any normal person out. It would actually be easier to introduce him to my actual parents”

  “We are not that bad”

  “Is that so? So, you didn’t ask my last boyfriend the question: ‘what are your intentions with our Viisa’?” Viisa asked sarcastically and raised an eyebrow.

  Maxie sighed. “Okay, fine, that was a bit out of line. That guy was a total douche, what were we supposed to do?”

  “Not act like my parents?”

  “Sorry, unnie”, Maxie said cutely, using her aegyo voice.

    “I forgive if you promise to never do that again. Ever”, Viisa answered. She hated when Maxie acted aegyo and she always found a way to use that against her.

  Maxie chuckled and smiled widely at her victory. “Great. Now, where should we head first?” she asked and sipped the ice-latte she’d just been brought.

  Viisa was just about to answer, when she saw her best friends eyes glow with excitement as she looked over her shoulder. Viisa looked behind her and saw the only person she did not want to see right now – or ever for that matter.

  “Hey, Kris!” Maxie chanted and waved her hand at the tall guy sitting at a table near the door. The guy looked up at her and smiled awkwardly. He got up and slowly walked over to them, carrying a book and a coffee in his hands.

  “Hey, you guys”, he said, trying not to sound as uncomfortable as he probably was. Maxie just smiled even wider, ignoring the tension that was building up and Viisa was more than ready to jump through the huge glass window they were sitting next to.

  “So, I heard you two had fun last night”, Maxie said and smirked at Kris.

  Kris shrugged and looked at his shoes. “Yeah, I guess so. What exactly did Viisa tell you?” he asked, looking back up at her.

  “Well, she-“

  “Nothing. I didn’t feel the need to spare any details of last night. It’s better that way, don’t you think?” Viisa interrupted her and gave Kris a long, meaningful look. She didn’t want him saying anything about Minseok or the trio-disaster that had occurred at the movies.

  Kris must’ve quickly pivked up on what Viisa was trying to tell him, because a small smirk grew on his face and he winked at her before saying: “Yeah, they’re too dirty to share”

  Maxie eyes widened with excitement and she turned to her best friend, chuckling. “Oh, so there are dirty details?” she almost squealed before Viisa jumped up and took Kris’ hand.

  “Um, will you excuse us? I need to have a little talk with this one about a little term called: ‘over-sharing’”, Viisa said before walking out of the café and dragging Kris behind her.

  “Just remember, people dislike PDA!” Maxie chanted after them, making Kris’ smirk grow wider and Viisa let out a loud grunt.

  The stepped outside and Viisa dragged Kris behind her around the nearest corner. Once she was sure no one would spot them, she slapped Kris harshly.

  “What the hell was that for?” he complained as he rubbed his sore cheek. He frowned slightly and continued: “At least I didn’t rat you out”

  “Yes, and I appreciated that, but if you drop another comment about our ‘dirty details’ I’ll show you the definition of pain”, Viisa said and crossed her arms.

  “So, are you going to explain why you’re using me as a beard or shield or whatever you wanna call it?” Kris asked demandingly. “Cause I may have saved your once, but if I don’t get some answers, nothing’s stopping me from walking back into that café and telling Maxie all about you and mortal-boy”, he continued and crossed his arms as well.

  Viisa sighed deeply, trying to think of a way to explain the situation to Kris without giving away too much information. She definitely couldn’t tell him about Minseok being a vampire-hunter or the fact that he knew about werewolves – and her being one. She also couldn’t tell him how they met. The only thing she had to explain was why it was important that no one found out about them being together.

  “Well, I went to library yesterday to do some research on our kinds history”, she said, starting off with a lie. Nice start, she thought to herself sarcastically.

  “There, I found a book that contained the main rules of our kind. A fragment said that if a werewolf fraternizes with a mortal that said werewolf would be disowned, banished and would have its powers taken away”, she continued, becoming sadder and sadder as she talked. She was realizing herself just how deep she’d dug herself.

  Kris raised his eyebrows, surprised at what he’d just heard. “That’s rough”, he muttered, making Viisa nod slightly.

  Shaking the sadness quickly of her shoulders, Viis continued: “So, now that you know the whole truth, will you promise not to tell anyone?” It sounded more like a demand than a question, but she still smiled slightly, trying not to sound so pushy.

  “Sure. If it’s that bad, I’m willing to help out a friend of Luhan’s”, he finally said.

  Viisa smiled a bit wider and nodded. “Thanks”, she said and was about to leave, when she felt Kris’ fingers curl up around her wrist.

  “Just be extremely careful. If what you told me is true, only one wolf finding out about your relationship might lead to you getting banished”, he said with a low voice. Viisa nodded quickly and drew her hand away from his grip before walking back into the café. Kris watched her walk away and felt a small smile form on his face.

 

  “What do you mean ‘he wasn’t there’?” Luhan snapped at Minseok as they sat at their usual table in a local café. They’d decided to head out, since they were in a part of town where it was very unlikely to run into anyone they knew: especially Viisa and Maxie.

  “I mean, he wasn’t at his apartment. I didn’t know where else to look, so I decided to just come back later”, Minseok answered and rolled his eyes. Luhan was taking this way too seriously: he could just eliminate the little wolfie whenever he wanted to. It’s not like he suspected anything and even if he did, he’d be dead before he knew what hit him.

  “The boss won’t be pleased with the delay. Do you really want to make him angrier than he already is? We’ve already cost enough trouble to him by making the wolf-boy a threat”, Luhan explained and shook his head. He knew better than anyone just how cruel the boss could be if he was angered. Especially, when it came to executing this plan.

  “Calm down. I’ll get it done. Besides, who cares if the boss gets pissed? It’s not like he’ll actually hurt us”, Minseok stated, trying to calm him down yet again. Unlike Luhan, he wasn’t that intimidated by the boss. He knew what he was capable of, but he wasn’t afraid of him. He didn’t feel the need to, never had and never would.

  “It’s not like he hasn’t before”, Luhan said with a low, bitter voice. The last time he’d let the boss down, he’d gotten a serious beat-down and he was lucky to have survived it in the first place. Luhan couldn’t wrap his mind around the fact that Minseok was taking this so lightly. Why wasn’t he afraid of what might happen to him? Did he think that he’d be safe? Didn’t he know none of his employees were?

   Minseok simply shrugged and dug into his food. Luhan sighed and looked out of the window. Their plan needed to succeed if they wanted to repay their debt for the boss. That way they’d be one step closer to their freedom.

  Minseok thoughts were floating away to the beautiful brunette he was supposed to be manipulating and using. The feisty, adorable girl called ‘Viisa’. He’d only known her for a few days, but after all the research and spying head done, he’d grown a certain interest to her. She reminded him a lot of himself. Maybe, if he played his cards right, he could lure Viisa to their side and convince her to separate herself from the pack and give up her powers. That way, they could fight the wolves together. Minseok shook his head slightly, realizing how ridiculous these thoughts sounded.

  Luhan grunted as he felt a familiar burn in back of his throat. “God, I’m thirsty”, he mumbled and looked at Minseok meaningfully. “Can we go hunt for food now? You know that won’t control your appetite for longer than five minutes”, he continued and leaned against the table, looking at Minseok with puppy-dog eyes.

  Minseok grunted as well.  “I guess I could use a drink”, he said and got up, leaving his half-finished food on the table.

  The sun was still shining brightly as they walked along the street, looking for a perfect victim. Once Minseok spotted a perfect candidate – an innocent looking teenager – he nudged Luhan with his elbow and nodded in her direction. “What do you think?” he whispered.

  Luhan sniffed the air jokingly and smirked. “She smells delicious”, he said as they walked up to the girl.

  Minseok smiled sweetly at the confused girl and places his hands on her shoulders, looking deep into her eyes. “Follow us and stay quiet. There’s nothing to be afraid of”, he said with a low voice, compelling the girl. The girl followed his orders and followed the two men to an empty, secluded alley.

  “Ready?” Luhan asked jokingly, making Minseok roll his eyes. “Always”, he answered, before both of them opened their mouths and sunk their sharp teeth into the girl's neck.