The Party

The Clans of Love

  “Come on, Maxie! We have to be at the party in five minutes! Otherwise the doorman won't let us in!” Viisa yelled to her best friend who was taking forever getting ready-yet again. She was used to it though: punctuality wasn’t exactly one of Maxie’s best traits.

  Maxine Emerson had been Viisa’s best friend since the diaper years. They were both part of The Warriors, but were still pretty different. Maxie was always energetic, a total flirt, talkative, outgoing and loud. Viisa on the other hand was shy, quiet yet fierce, kept to herself and didn’t like new people. They even controlled different elements: Maxie controlled fire and Viisa controlled water.

  “It takes time to become beautiful”, Maxie said and laughed girlishly as she came out of her room. She grabbed her clutch and they walked out of the door. Viisa rolled her eyes as they got into the cab.

  The party was at an old abandoned building that they had renovated for the party. Actually, almost every monthly party was held here, because no one needed the space and it was free. The girls stepped in to find billions of dark, purple lights and super loud music. They left their coats in the so called “dressing room”- that was a room full of cloth-rackets- and walked into the party.

  “Hey you guys!” said a familiar voice behind them.

  Viisa sighed. It was Maxie’s long-time boyfriend Luhan. He was a healer, so they didn’t see each other so much, but they were still really happy. She was really happy for them, but she couldn’t stand their lovey-dovey-couple act-especially if it happened in her presence. Maxie hugged Luhan happily. “Oppa! You’re here!” she squealed.

  “Of course I am, princess”, Luhan said Maxie’s hair. “Hey Viisa”, he said, trying not to leave her feeling like the third wheel.

  “’Sup”, she answered quickly. “Listen, I get that you two probably want some privacy, so I’m gonna go”, she continued and pointed towards the snack table.

  She walked to the table and started truly enjoying her night. Viisa wasn’t exactly the party type, but she went for Maxie. For all she cared the other clan could keep their “healers” all to themselves!

  As she went through the amazing foods and drinks on the table, the song changed from the very energetic Mr. Simple by Super Junior to the beautiful Sunflower by SNSD. She glanced over at the dance floor only to find the lovey-lovey couple happily slow-dancing. As much as she loved romance, those two made her want to puke sometimes.

  “Hi there gorgeous”, said a guy who walked up to her. “Care to dance?”

  Viisa glared at the guy. “Depends on who’s asking”, she said. She was not about to slow-dance with random guy whose name she didn’t even know.

  “Oh, my mistake. I’m Kris. And you are..?”

  “Viisa”, she said still pretty coldly. Couldn’t he see that she was trying to enjoy the food?

  “So, Viisa, You wanna dance with me?”

  “Not really”

  “You sure? I’m sure you’ll love it”

 “You know what? I’m gonna go get some fresh air”, she answered and walked out through the back door.

  It was pretty late and the sky was filled with stars. Viisa went to stand as close to a streetlight as possible, because she really hated the dark. But she hated being in the middle of lovey-dovey couples and bothering people, even if they were cute.

  After a while of standing, she noticed that a few guys were robbing a girl. Viisa looked closer and recognized the girl. She was definitely a wolf, Viisa could sense it. The guys looked awfully pale and they kept breathing close to the girl’s neck.

Oh, God, she thought. They’re vampires.

 She knew vampires were dangerous and all wolves were ordered to stay away from them. But no way was she letting those bloodsuckers mess with a fellow wolf!  She walked a little bit closer to see what she was dealing with. There were two guys who looked to be in their late twenties and the girl was about her age. Viisa smirked to herself, those fighting practices were finally about to pay off. She confidently walked up to the guys.

  “Sup, boys. Having fun?” she asked and smiled sarcastically.

  One of the guys turned around towards Viisa while the other one grabbed the girl, so she couldn’t escape. “Run”, she mouthed to Viisa.

  “Actually, we’re just getting ready for a little midnight snack. Care to join us, doggie?” the vampire answered.

Viisa felt a wave of fear suddenly flow through her. If he knew she was a werewolf, they weren’t going to let her live. So it was her against two vampires fighting for who stays alive. Viisa stood up straight and convinced herself that she could handle this. She knew how to fight.

  “Don’t mind if I do”, she said and created a small bubble of foggy water on her palm. “Holy water”, she continued pointing at the bubble. “It burns like a , doesn’t it?”

  The other vampire who was holding the girl gasped, but the other one stayed strong.

  “How do I know that’s actually holy?” he asked and took carefully one step back-just in case.

  Viisa smirked and threw the bubble at the more fearful bloodsucker. He screamed in pain as his face turned red and started basically melting of. His pain took over and he had let go of the wolf-girl. The second she broke free she ran inside as fast as she could. The hurt vampire jumped over the fence and disappeared as well.

  “A ‘thank you’ would have been nice!” Viisa yelled after her. She rolled her eyes and turned back towards the vampire.

  “You’ll pay for that”, the vampire said and grabbed her. It was so sudden that she couldn’t fight back and soon she was pinned against the fence. Viisa wiggled to get out, but the vampire was very strong.

  “Wolf blood is always a healthy substitute for human”, the vampire said and brushed her neck his hand.

  She was just about to make another bubble when someone suddenly a man jumped on the fence and poured water on the vampire. It must’ve been holy, because the second it hit his skin he let out a loud scream of pain and ran after his friend.

  The guy jumped in front of her. He was pretty tall and had orange and red-ish hair. But he’s eyes were irresistible dark brown, basically black buttons. Viisa did everything she could not to fall forward into his beautiful eyes.

  “You’re welcome”, the guy said with a selfish smile on his face.

“I didn’t need your help. I was doing fine on my own”, Viisa denied.

  “Obviously. Because being pinned to a fence is such a clear mark of victory”, the guy continued sarcastically.

  “Okay, so maybe I had one moment of weakness. So thanks, I guess”

  “I’m Minseok, by the way”

  “Viisa. How’d you know about the holy water?”

  “I didn’t. I just had some lying around my house and I decided to carry it around me in a container all night”

  Viisa raised one of her eyebrows and crossed her arms.

  “My dad taught me. He used to hunt vampires”

  “’Used to’?”

  “Before he died”

  “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that”

  “Don’t be, it was a long time ago. So you wanna get back to the party?” Minseok asked.

  “Sure”, Viisa said and led the way back inside.

  When they got inside, Minseok immediately asked her to dance. Of course, she said yes and they hit the dance floor.

  “So, I’m gonna assume you’re a healer”, Viisa said while dancing to the beat of Block B’s Nalina.

  “’A healer’? No, I’m just a mechanic”

  “No, I don’t mean your job! I’m talking about your clan”

  “’Clan’? What are you talking about?”

  Viisa froze on the inside. No, she thought. He can’t be.

  “Are you, um, human?” she asked.

  “Yeah. What are you? An alien?”

  “Um, no. It’s just that you don’t dance like just anyone”, she said flirtingly. Viisa suddenly stopped worrying. In the moment, it didn’t even matter if he was human or not. She didn’t even care how he got into the party. All Viisa wanted to do was to dance with him all night long.

  They spent the entire night together. They talked, ate, danced and just had fun in general. They got along really well. At the end of the night they exchanged numbers and Minseok even gave Viisa a kiss on the cheek. As he walked away, Viisa found herself just standing there and smiling like an idiot.

  Oh no, she thought. I’m falling for a human. A human I've only known for a few hours.