A Different Kind of Date (Part 2)

The Clans of Love

A half an hour later, the doorbell rang. Maxie jumped up and ran to the door as fast as she could, so that Viisa couldn’t stop her.

  “Hey, Kris. How are ya?” she said with a smirk.

  “Hey, Max. I’m, uh, good?” Kris looked very confused at Maxie’s sudden outburst. He tried to step inside, but she stepped in front of.

  “Oh no, Mister. We need to talk”

  “About what?”

  “Well, you asked my best friend out. That means I need to tell you something: if you ever hurt her or break her heart, I will break your neck”

  “Aright. But I didn’t-“

  “Hey, Kris!” Viisa yelled quickly and ran to the door. “You ready to go?”

  “Um, sure. See ya later, Maxie”, Kris said awkwardly as he and Viisa left the apartment.

  “Well, that was weird”, he continued when they walked down the stairsa and started walking towards the cinema.

  “Wait, weren’t you supposed to pick me up? Because usually ‘picking a girl up’ means you’ll bring your car

  Kris shrugged. “I thought we could walk. It would be more romantic”

  Viisa tried to hide the shiver that went down her spine. Romance with this guy? I think I’m going to be sick.

  “Whatever you say”, she muttered, trying to sound as polite as possible. But just the way this guy talked pissed her off, and she wasn’t exactly the type of person to push down her anger.

  “And speaking of earlier, that’s just Maxie. She does that to every guy I date”. Viisa smirked to herself, knowing she would’ve given that speech to every guy Maxie even had eye-contact with.

  “By the way, did you tell her that I asked you out?”

  Viisa swallowed loudly. “Yeah”, she said quietly, hoping that Kris didn’t hear her.

  But of course, he did. “Okay. Why?”

  “Well, I couldn’t admit that I’d asked you out. I mean, I did completely shut you down at the party”

  Kris shook his head smirked. “Viisa, you are one complicated girl”

  “I’m not a girl. I’m a woman

  “Sure, sure”, he continued jokingly. She just scoffed and pushed him slightly towards the road.

  Kris pushed her back and laughed mockingly. “Was that supposed to hurt?”

  “Shut up”, Viisa mumbled and realized that the Cinemax was right around the corner.

  Oh no. I still haven’t told Kris about Minseok.

  She quickly grabbed his wrist and dragged him to the side of the road. Kris smirked and leaned closer to her, making their bodies touch.

  “You just can’t keep your hands off, can you babe?” his smirk widened as he leaned closer to her face.

  “Oh, no mister”, Viisa responded, pushing him away from her. “I just need to tell you something”

  “And that something is?”

  Viisa paused for a second, trying to think of ways to explain Minseok. But there was no logical way to explain this. Why’d she let herself get into this situation?

  “We don’t have all day, the marathon will start soon”

  Viisa glared at him and said the first thing that popped into her head: “My cousin, Minseok, is going to join us. He’s new in town and he doesn’t have a lot of friends, so I promised I’d go with him. Besides, it’s a Marvel marathon, I couldn’t say no”

  “Okay”, Kris said slowly. He had a confused look on his face as he continued: “But you said this was a date. It’s kind of a weird date with your cousin there”

  “I never said anything about a date. You just assumed this was one and I didn’t disagree with you”, Viisa said and shrugged. They walked around the corner and saw the bright lights of the Cinemax.

  “But if you already had company, why’d you ask me come with you?”

  “My cousin’s kinda weird. I didn’t want to spend an entire evening with him alone”. She sighed to herself. That was the one thing she actually wanted to do.

  When they got into the cinema, they spotted Minseok leaning against the wall by the counter. He spotted them and smiled, but his dropped when he noticed Viisa wasn’t alone.

  “Hey Viisa. Good to see you again”, he said, giving her a hug. Then he turned to Kris. “And who’s this?” He turned his look from Kris to Viisa, his eyes demanding an explanation.

  “Um, Minseok, this is Kris. Kris, this is Minseok”. The guys quickly bowed and turned back to Viisa.

  “Kris is a friend of Maxie’s. She’s my roommate, remember?”

  “Sup?” Kris said with a blank on his face.

  “Is he always this friendly?” Minseok asked with a smirk. He and Viisa chuckled, while Kris just glared at them.

  “Anyway, I already got our tickets, Viisa. Sorry I didn’t get one for you, um…” Minseok paused, acting like he didn’t remember his name.

  “It’s Kris. And it’s fine; I’ll go get my own”

  “You should probably do that pretty quickly so you don’t miss the movie” Minseok pointed at the long line in front of the counter. Kris walked to the end of the line, muttering insults about Minseok.

  Well, this started off crappy, Viisa thought.

The night continued the same way. Once they entered the theater, they realized that Viisa’s seat was right in between the guys.

  Great, she thought. Because this wasn’t awkward enough.

  During the marathon she tried to talk with Minseok, but every time she said something to him, Kris jumped into the conversation with some obnoxious comment that made Viisa want to smack him.

  The guys also couldn’t stand each other, which didn’t help the situation. Every few minutes one of them would comment on the movie with a hidden insult to the other. Eventually Viisa just stopped trying to make conversation and focused on the movies. That the only thing on this “date” that she could enjoy.

  When the marathon was finally over, all she wanted to do was to get rid of Kris, so she could apologize to Minseok for a terrible evening. Sure she could apologize to Kris too, but she didn’t exactly care about his opinion. He was so obnoxious and cocky that it made her want to hurl.

  The three of them walked out to the cold, dark night. The stars were sparkling brightly across the sky. It would’ve been the perfect romantic setting. If only Kris weren’t there…

  “So, it was very nice to meet you, mortal”, Kris said glaring at Minseok. “But I have to run. I’ll call you, babe”. Kris leaned down to give Viisa a peck on the cheek.

  He could basically feel the frustration and jealousy that oozed from Minseok as he muttered: “Mortal is the worst insult ever”. He smirked at his accomplishment as he turned around and walked into the disappeared into the night.

  The second Kris was out of sight; Viisa turned to Minseok and said: “I am so sorry about tonight”

  “It’s okay”, Minseok reassured, smiling slightly.

  “No, it’s not. I never should’ve dragged Kris along”

  “Well, that’s true. But, I understand why you did it”

  “Oh, really?”

  “Yeah. You didn’t want Maxie to find out your dating a mortal”

  Wait a minute. Did he just call himself a mortal? Was it because of what Kris said?

  “What?”

  “Isn’t that the reason he was with you?”

  “Um-“

  Before Viisa could say anything else, Minseok interrupted her by saying the six words she never thought she’d hear out of anyone’s mouth:

  “I know you’re a werewolf”