Rules Are Rules

The Clans of Love

“You sure he isn’t gay?” Maxie asked the next morning. She was lying on her bed in their apartment and stretching sleepily. She’d been complaining about her hangover all morning, but now- to Viisa’s joy- they’d moved on to other topics

  “Why would he be gay?”  Viisa asked annoyed. She’d just told Maxie all about last night and the amazing guy she’d met, Minseok. What’s with weird question?

  “A kiss on the cheek? Don’t you think that’s a little slow, considering you spent the entire night together?”

  “He saved my life, remember? Isn’t that enough for you? Plus, he was just being a gentleman”

  “I thought you didn’t need his help”, Maxie said, crossed and raised her left eyebrow.

  “I didn’t. Well, at least not before that guy pinned me against the fence”

  Maxie laughed as she walked to her closet and started picking out clothes.

  “So, I thought it would be fun to go on a double date together. Luhan could set you up with one of his friends, they’re all really cute”

  “Um, hello? Have you not been listening to me ramble about the best night ever with the cutest guy ever?”

  “I have. I just thought you should keep your options open, you know? Plus I know just the guy for you”

  Maxie took out her phone and handed it to Viisa. On the screen was a picture of a familiar face.

  “That’s the guy who tried to hit on me yesterday, Kris”, Viisa said and pretended to vomit.

  “And you turned him down? Why would you do that? Kris would be perfect for you!”

  “To me he just seemed like an arrogant douche”

  “He really isn’t, he just likes to act like one”

  “Well, either way I’m not interested”

  Maxie showed Viisa her tongue as she put her dress on.

  “By the way, how did he know about the holy water?”

  “He said his dad was a vampire hunter”

  “A hunter? Werewolves aren’t allowed to hunt other creatures, not even vampires. Why’d he tell you that he dad broke one of The Laws when he knows how severe the consequences are?”

  “Um, technically he didn’t break any Laws”

  “What are you talking about?”

  “He was a human”

  “Oh. So Minseok is a half-blood. Isn’t that still sort of illegal? I mean, don’t the mates of werewolves have to take the vows as well?”

  “No, he’s not half-blood. He’s, um, completely human”

  Maxie’s jaw dropped. “Minseok is human? Viisa, have you lost your mind?”

  “Calm down, okay? It’s no big deal”

  “’No big deal’? It’s illegal to fraternize with humans!”

  “Maybe he was lying, when I asked him. Maybe he thought I was human. I mean, how else would he have gotten to the party”

  Maxie sighed loudly and shook her head. “He’s dad was a hunter. I’m pretty sure he has his ways. And I’m also sure vampires weren’t the only things he’s dad hunted”

  “What do you mean?”

  “Viisa, if he knows about vampires, he probably knows about wolves too! Why do you think he was at that party?”

  “What? To hunt wolves? You’re seriously delusional”

  “I’m not delusional! I’m just trying to look after you”

  “I don’t need your protection!” Viisa yelled angrily. “I can take care of myself”

  Maxie walked up to her at put her hands on Viisa’s shoulders. “I know you can. But sometimes you have to consider every possibility”

  Suddenly Viisa was very angry at Maxie. Who the hell was she to decide who she could and could not date? She was not her mom! Or maybe she felt threatened because Viisa finally found someone and Maxie wasn’t the only one with a boyfriend. Or maybe she really was just worried. Whatever it was, Viisa didn’t feel like listening to it anymore.

  “Okay. I’m going out. Unless you think that’s too dangerous”, Viisa said coldly and walked to the door.

  “Come on, don’t be like that. I know you’re easily annoyed, but I’m just worried about you”, Maxie said trying to stop her.

  “Don’t be. I am a grownup. And older than you. You seriously don’t need to take care of my safety”

  And with that Viisa walked out of the door. She wasn’t actually angry at Maxie as much as she didn’t want to listen to her worrying about all the things she’d tried not to even let herself think.

  As she walked along the long street towards the city center, she actually thought about one of those things. Was it true, that fraternizing with humans was illegal? But, if half-bloods existed, it simply couldn’t be true. Unless, they’d changed it.

  When she got into the town center she decided to head to the library which was right across the street. She needed to know for sure. The second she walked in she started looking for The Law. It was a huge, old book that the oldest werewolves had hidden under one of the shelves in the 19th century.

  She stepped into the fiction section and started tapping at the bottom of the shelf. Luckily, many werewolves worked in the library, so no one would come question her on her strange behavior. Once she found a part that was hollow, she hit it once lightly and it opened. Behind the wooden wall was a huge, dusty book. With all her strength, Viisa lifted the book and took it to the nearest desk.

She blew the dust off of the cover and uncovered the words ‘The Law’ written in bold, old-fashioned gold letters. Viisa opened the last page of the book automatically, because she knew that’s where the changed Laws have been written. And there it was, written with big, bold letters:

Law 1105: Socializing with mortals / humans (CHANGED 13.12.2005)

Socializing is aloud, but in friendly matter only. Procreation and fraternizing with mortals is strictly forbidden. The punishment for breaking Law 1105 is disowning, power-removal and banishment from said wolf’s clan.

  Viisa just stared at the page-in shock. Why would they change the Law? The only Law that had allowed werewolves to fall in love with whomever they chose to. Slowly, she closed the book and put it back to its place. As she closed the wooden bottom, she sighed.

  Seriously? Viisa thought. I’m literally forbidden to date Minseok. The only guy I’ve ever really had a connection with.

  Just when she was about to dust herself off and convince herself that there were plenty of fish in the sea, her phone rang. Without looking, she swallowed her misery and answered: “Hello?”

  “Viisa? Hi, it’s Minseok”

  “Oh”, Viisa answered, trying not to sound as bummed as she was.

  “Listen, I was thinking. Do you want to go to a movie with me tonight? I heard their having a Marvel-marathon at Cinemax tonight at eight and I remembered that you really love Marvel movies”

  Marvel-marathon? Dude, you’re killing me! Viisa thought.

  “I’d really love to, but I can’t I’m so sorry”

  “Oh. Why?”

  “Um, I’m just really busy today with school”

  “It’s Saturday”

  “Yeah, um, it is. I just-“

  “Forgot?” Minseok asked and laughed a little.

  Oh, that laugh. Viisa couldn’t resist that.

  “You know what? I think I am free tonight. I’ll meet you in front of Cinemax at seven-thirty?”

  “Okay. See you then, beautiful”

  Viisa hung up and smirked to herself.

  Well, you know what they say, she thought. Rules are made to be broken.