~I'm Lucky To Have Loved You~Part 3

Peter Pan

It had been a few weeks since Luhan moved in. Jiaheng didn’t feel so lonely, and the house wasn’t so empty anymore. Every day was a new adventure, a new memory to share.

Every once in a while, Jiaheng would ask him about Tao, but he would brush it off and say, “That’s the past; it’s time to start living in the present.” But there were so many things Jiaheng wanted to know. What exactly had Tao been like before? The diary had only said so much.

Jiaheng never pushed though. Luhan was the only one who could understand him at this point; he didn’t want to lose him.

One day, they went out for coffee. As they sat in the café, Jiaheng spotted someone familiar. His dark eyes. His sweet smile. Jiaheng looked down, stirring his coffee intently. Luhan went to turn his head. “Don’t look!” Jiaheng whispered urgently.

“Why, who is that?” Luhan asked. Jiaheng sighed.

“Some guy. He was flirting with me one night, and Tao wasn’t really having it. He and Tao got into a fist fight after he grabbed me and…he kissed me. Tao wouldn’t let me leave his side from then on.” Luhan smiled as he leaned on his hands.

“So, you made him jealous?” Luhan went to turn around again.

“What are you doing?” asked Jiaheng. Luhan giggled.

“Well, I have to see him now. If he made Tao jealous, he’s got to be attractive.” He looked around until he spotted him. He was reading the newspaper in a far corner, his eyes focused upon their main objective. “Ooh, he’s a cutie.” He turned back to Jiaheng. “What’s his name?” he asked.

“Kim Jong In.” he mumbled shyly, ruffling his hair nervously. Luhan giggled.

“Go talk to him.” He said, nodding his head towards Jong In. Jiaheng blushed.

“What? Me? Phhht.” He shook his head. “No. I’m, I’m, well I’m just, just not,”

“Ready?” Luhan finished for him. Jiaheng blushed. “When will you be ready, Jiaheng? It’s been how long now?”

“A year and a half.” He could feel a lump in his throat rising.

“Go on, talk to him.” Jiaheng shuffled uncomfortably in his seat.

“I don’t really like, you know, making the first move.” He whispered.

“Oh,” Luhan exclaimed. He was shier than he had previously thought. He looked over at Jong In and back at Jiaheng. Somehow, he would make them speak to each other, but how?

*****

The next day, Luhan and Jiaheng were walking down the street. It was a breezy spring day, and they had been out walking for quite some time. Luhan looked around. They didn’t live in too big a town, he had to be somewhere.

“Hey, let’s go get some coffee,” Jiaheng suggested, pulling him towards the shop they had visited the previous day. But Luhan pulled as something caught his eye.

“Wait a minute, let’s go to that one,” he said, pointing across the street. The name of the shop was “Lucky’s Café.” It was painted a soft teal, with spring flowers planted along the walls. He shrugged.

“Okay, then.” It wasn’t unusual for Luhan to suggest a new place. But it sure was odd of him to do it last minute.

They walked through the door and Luhan led him to a table on the left side of the store. As Jiaheng reached for a menu, he saw him. Right across the room. For a moment, not a word was spoken. Time stood still as they made eye contact for the first time in almost three years.

“Jiaheng?” his voice was a bit gruff, like he hadn’t used it in a while. He stood up and walked over to their table. “Li Jiaheng, is that you?” he asked.

“Hello Mr. Kim.” Jiaheng could feel the blood rushing to his cheeks. Jong In looked from Jiaheng to Luhan, with a tint of disdain.

“Who is this?” he asked. Luhan smiled.

“My name is Luhan, Jiaheng here is my friend. It’s nice to meet you, sir.” Jong In nodded and looked back to Jiaheng.

“How have you been?” he asked. Jiaheng slowly lifted his eyes to face him.

“Fine, thank you for asking.” He swallowed. “How about yourself?” he managed to say. Jong In cleared his throat.

“It’s been going.” He looked down, dragging his toe in small circles. What do you say to someone you hit on as their lover slowly died? He looked back up at him, making sure that Jiaheng’s eyes were solely on him.

“I need to talk to you.”

END OF PART 3

*NOTE: I apologize for such a small chapter. The next one will be longer, I promise.