~I'm Lucky To Have Loved You~ Part 2

Peter Pan

Jiaheng sat across from Luhan in the living room. Luhan was on the old couch, and Jiaheng was in the chair across from him. He was wrapped in a blanket, sipping hot tea. What was Luhan doing here? After all this time?

“So, what brings you here?” he asked, after what seemed like forever. Luhan looked over at him.

“He’s gone, isn’t he?” he asked. A lump rose in Jiaheng’s throat as he nodded. Luhan sounded like he too was holding back tears.

“Did he even try to get better?” he asked. Jiaheng nodded.

“I made him. I told him I was going to the doctor, when in reality, I just wanted to know if I was a match for him.” He looked up at Luhan with great sadness. “But it didn’t take, and he died shortly after.”

“Oh,” Luhan whispered. “I’m so sorry.” Jiaheng shrugged.

“We tried, and that’s all that matters.” Luhan looked around.

“You’ve been here alone then, since he passed?” again, Jiaheng nodded.

“It looks so much nicer than when I left.” He smiled and looked over at him. “I wasn’t much of a housekeeper.” Jiaheng smiled back at him.

“You had to have been better than Zitao; you wouldn’t believe what my first night on the job was like!”

“Try me.”

*****

The two of them sat there for hours. They talked about life after Luhan left, what life was like before, what it was like for Jiaheng. After a while, it was like they were old friends.

They walked through the house, talking and examining certain things. There was a story for every room. And then they came upon the forbidden room. Jiaheng’s heart pounded. Luhan turned to him.

“Ever been in here?” he asked. Jiaheng nodded.

“Once, but Zitao came in and told me to never come back in. It was forbidden.” Luhan smiled.

“Well, he’s not here,” he said, with a pang of guilt. “And besides, this is my room, and it’s forbidden to no one.” He said with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

He opened the door, revealing the mess that was left behind. “He really did a number on this place.” He said, looking at the torn bed sheets and broken glass.

“I…read your diary.” Jiaheng confessed. Luhan looked over at him. He seemed, amused.

“Did Zitao ever read it?” he asked. Jiaheng shrugged.

“Not that it seemed that way. The note you left was still in the diary, sealed.” Luhan’s eyes widened. “I didn’t read it.” Jiaheng said hurriedly.  Luhan smiled, and sighed.

“He never read it.” He laughed bitterly. “Of all the things he could have done, all he had to do was read it. He kicked a pile of garbage. “He couldn’t even be bothered to do that.” Tears ran down his face. “He moved on, like nothing happened.” He shook his head. “That wasn’t the Tao that I knew. My Tao was sweet and innocent.” Jiaheng cocked his head in curiosity.

“What was Tao like when he was with you? He never talked about you, really.” Luhan turned to him with a sad smile.

“That’s a story for another time. For now, let’s live in the present.” He looked around the room. “And presently, this room needs a makeover.” He picked up some of the debris. “Let’s get started!” he said cheerfully.

*****

Hours later, they sat in a nearly empty room. They had salvaged what they could, not that there was much. Some books here and there, photos and a stray pair of pants. They sat back to back, covered in dust and grime, sweating through their shirts.

“He must have loved you very much.” Luhan commented.

“How do you figure?” he asked. Luhan shrugged.

“He didn’t allow you to leave. Even when he was weak, he kept you by his side. He wanted you to be there.” He looked over at him. “Whether he let you know or not.” Jiaheng hung his head. He felt somewhat guilty. Luhan had loved Tao, and Tao had let him go. Now, Luhan was broken hearted. He wished he hadn’t brought up the diary. There’s just one thing he wondered…

“Why now?” asked Jiaheng, turning to him. “Why have you come back now, after he’s already…died?” he asked. Luhan shrugged.

“To be honest, I expected this to be empty. Or some was staying in it. But when I came back home, I heard that he had found someone. And that someone, just happened to be you,” he cleared his throat. “To be honest, at first, I thought that you must be some pretty smart gold-digger. But, when I was at the bar in town, this boy, Chen, he told me about you. How you worked so hard, about all he knew. That’s when I decided that I had to meet you for myself.” He looked up.

“You’re not what I expected.” Jiaheng shrugged.

“What can I say? I’ve changed. And he helped me do it.” He smiled a little, more than he had in a long time. Luhan clapped his hands.

“Well, enough living in the past. That’s done and over, and we should live in the present.” He looked over at Jiaheng.

“How about pizza?” he asked. Jiaheng smiled.

“I’d like that.”

*****

After a dinner of pizza and soda, Luhan and Jiaheng lay on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. They stuffed their faces until they were fit to burst, and felt as tired as ever.

“Well,” Luhan sat up, resting upon his elbows. “I should be going, it’s pretty late.” He said. Jiaheng put his hand on his shoulder.

“Why not stay?” he asked, blushing. “It gets kinda lonely here by myself.” Luhan flashed him a sweet smile.

“Okay, I will.” Jiaheng sat up, and helped Luhan to his feet. It would be nice to know there was another person in the house again. Perhaps now, he wouldn’t be so lonely anymore.

END OF PART 2