Permanent Markers

Imperfect people

3rd week of school: Monday

Sungmin's POV

"What have I done in my previous life?"

Have you ever found yourself asking the same question?

Probably. It's only natural to think that when something bad happens.

Was it because a teacher caught you cheating during a test?

Or because your parents took away your laptop for getting bellow average marks?

Or because your girlfriend/boyfriend dumped you in public?

Or was it perhaps - just maybe - because the person you hated the most in the world just happened to be in the same club as you? Like by coincidence?

I narrowed my eyes at Kyuhyun who just let out a low laugh before continuing to text ( my brother ).

Seriously: What have I done In my previous life?

Why was the person I hated the most in the whole wide world in the same club as me?

Ok... Of course I was overreacting...

I didn't hate Kyuhyun the most in the whole wide world. I actually didn't hate him at all. He was my bro's best friend and I was almost positive that Sungjin knows how to pick out his own friends - I trusted my brother with his choice of friends.

Of course that didn't mean that I was completely in love with the freshman. He still pissed me off but as long as I avoided I think I would be able to tolerate him.
The key words are "as long as I avoided him"

"Students, sit down. We'll start in a minute." - The music teacher Mr. Ahn said in a quiet voice - he didn't need to raise his voice -everyone either respected him or was afraid of him. I liked him in a way. He loved music and it was always nice when he taught it to us with so much passion. But if you ever made him mad, he'd become a monster.

The conversations quieted down and everyone took a seat on the floor.

I quickly darted towards my friend Leeteuk who took a seat in the back of the room.

"Hi, Teukie-hyung!" - I smiled while sitting down next to him.

"Hey!" - he smiled back showing off his only dimple. ( Why does he have only one dimple? That's weird... )

The teacher stood up and Leeteuk placed a finger to his lips making sure I realize that now would be a good time to shut if I didn't want to be thrown off the 2nd floor a couple of times before being run over by Mr. Ahn's new Toyota. And after that I'd still probably have to clean His car from any signs of blood...

"Well, hello students!" - we all murmured a greeting back - "Today is our first... clubmeet this year. It is nice to see some familiar faces - that means that I haven't scared everyone away just yet." - the older students chuckled at that while the new members looked around a bit confused -"For those who don't know me my name us Mr. Ahn and I am the music teacher in this school. In this club you will be able to learn or polish your musical skills. Mostly we just practice in a group or each person on their own but each lesson I want one of you to do a small performance - singing, playing instruments, reading rap - anything as long as you don't damage my eardrums. We meet two times a week - Mondays and Thursdays. Don't be late." - He looked around the room - "Does anyone have any questions?" - He looked around once again - "Well, okay... I you will find yourselves needing any help don't think twice before asking. I don't usually bite. And if I am busy you can ask one of the seniors - there's Changmin right over there, Junsu, the other Junsu who you shall call Leeteuk in order not to get confused, Sungmin, Yesung... Is that all the seniors left? God... How bad was I to scare away so many new people....? .... That's not the point though..... Today is mainly an introduction so we won't be doing anything new but I do want one of you to do the small performance we talked about.... Preferably one of the newbies.... Any volunteers?" - a hand shot up. Mr. Ahn nodded - "Ok, young man, please come up."

I rolled my eyes when u saw who had volunteered to sing.
I always knew that Kyuhyun was arrogant and damn confident. He just looks like that type of prick.

"Introduce yourself." - Mr. Ahn sat down in his favorite leather chair - one of his most prized posessions.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat and turned towards us.

"My name is Cho Kyuhyun and I am a first year."

"And what shall you be showcasing today?" - Mr. Ahn curiously inquired.

"Singing"

"Shoot right away."

Kyuhyun cleared his throat once again and closed his eyes.
An then he started.

...

You know how some voices seem to be made in heaven? The ones that are so pure and melodical? The ones that seem to tell a story?

Why do those voices always belong to annoying pricks?

I heard Leeteuk release a barely-audible 'oh'.
And he was damn right.

Kyuhyun was amazing. So amazing that it even heard my pride as I had always considered myself a great singer yet compred to Kyuhyun I was only a bit above average.

His voice was so... There are no words to describe it.

It was just so angelic.

And he was singing with so much emotion - with so much... sadness but at the same time with so much gratitude.

I didn't know the song but it was truly beautiful.

I didn't even realize that I had closed my eyes somewhere amidst his little concert.

Only when people started clapping did I open them in shock.

People seemed just as surprised as me. They kept exchanging little comments about how amazing he was and mr. Ahn was clapping his hands with a look of disbelief on his face. Leeteuk said something to me but I didn't catch it - I was too focused on Kyuhyun.

He looked a bit awkward amidst the cheering students. His eyes kept running around as if he wasn't really sure where to stop them.

In that process his eyes locked with mine. He looked rather nervous - vulnerable I would even say. Maybe it was that or the fact that he WAS trully amazing that made me actually smile at him. ( What the hell happened to me? )

Kyuhyun seemed just as surprised as me but his eyes lit up nonetheless and he returned the smile before bowing a little and sitting down.

Mr. Ahn proceeded to take his place and started praising Kyuhyun but I didn't really hear anything - I was busy thinking about something.

Kyuhyun was nervous. And he was searching for some kind of comfort. And he found it. In my eyes. Kyuhyun found comfort in my eyes. And we smiled at each other.

...

My conclusion: That was weird.

Really weird.

...

Although was it?

Kyuhyun was my brother's best friend and it's given that Sungjin would once in a while ( hopefully ) say nice things about me. Or he'd whine about me being annoying but I am sure that even an idiot could see how much Sungjin and I actually loved each other.

On the other hand Kyuhyun was somebody I didn't have a particular liking to but I trusted him with my brother so that must mean... that deep down I thought he was a decent guy... just with a really cocky and annoying personality.

And that exact moment when Kyuhyun needed somebody to "rely on" it's only natural that he would search for somebody he knew - somebody he could more or less trust.

That person just happened to be me.

And Kyuhyun being most definitely not a stranger to me was of course somebody I wanted to more or less help. So that's why I decided to sent him a more or less reassuring smile.

And he was thankful for that so he smiled back.

I smiled in content at my own theory - I am such a genius.

I actually managed to prove to myself that despite me helping him I was still not very fond of him.

My smile then fell as a new
realization hit me.

Even though we both weren't fond of the other our desire to hate each other was strong enough to actually bring us closer.

Leeteuk nudged me and I woke up from my trance. The student around us had already stood up and seemed to be getting ready to leave.

"Lets go?" - Leeteuk offered his hand to me and I let myself be pulled up by him.

While grabbing my bag I glanced over at Kyuhyun who was surrounded by some other first years who were all praising his skills and patting him on the back.
I couldn't help but chuckle when Kyuhyun's eyes doubled in size as a group of girls started swooning over him - for such a cocky guy he sure is awkward around women.

Leeteuk nudged me once again and motioned towards the exit. I stole one last glance at Kyuhyun before following Leeteuk out of the room.

"The guy sure was good!" - were the first words Leeteuk uttered in the hallway - "He's a natural I tell you. Probably had it from birth... But it's obvious he practiced before and not only relied on his natural talent so that's good." - He nodded at his own words - "I hate snobs who brag about a talent they had from birth and take it for granted... But this Kyuhyun's different - he seemed to be more embarassed than proud... He'll probably be the new sensation... Him and Yesung - those are our secret weapons... With both of them we have a chance at winning the stupid contest... And the dance club also has recruited a prodigy or so I've heard... That boy and your Donghae can guarantee the trophy for our school in the dance competition... And Choi Siwon is our star sportsman... Plus that new freshman - another Choi..."

Throughout Leeteuk's little monologue I just nodded and sometimes added a 'hmm' or a 'yea'.

After knowing Leeteuk for almost 5 years you get used to his overly long speeches, high-pitch laugh and usage of at times lame puns.

"...So I told Kangin to join and he just said school clubs are for aither idiots or show-offs... Should I be offended? I mean he kinda indirectly insulted me... But then again he is right... Although, for example, you and I are no idiots and we're not in the club to show off... Oh! Can you wait for me? I wrote the physics formulas on my arm for the test an didn't have time to wash it off..." - He showed his arm as proof and then darted into the male ( thankfully male ) bathroom.

I sighed and leaned against the wall.

Kangin was right - Leeteuk was an idiot. Only an idiot wouldn't realize that his at times rash and rude best friend is actually in love with him.

I looked to my right and saw a couple that was making their way towards the exit - hand in hand, fingers intertwined, laughing about something only they themselves would probably find funny...

Must be nice...

I must say that I never really had any luck in my personal life. Being already 17 I probably should have had at least one girlfriend but alas I am still low on experience.

Somebody tapped my left shoulder and I snapped my head towards the intruder.

"Kyuhyun." - I acknowledged and he just nodded before leaning against the wall next me.

"Waiting for somebody?" - Kyuhyun oh-so casually asked.

"A friend. He's in the bathroom... You?"

"Your brother."

"Should have guessed" - I muttered but he obviously ears cause next he chuckled.

A group of girls from our club rushed by chatting loudly about a new drama that was premiering today.

I sighed. Kyuhyun copied my action.

In the bathroom I could faintly hear the sound of water running and Leeteuk swearing.

Kyuhyun checked his watch and I fiddled with a loose string on my shirt.

Talk about awkward.

I sighed once again and looked over at Kyuhyun.

I suddenly realized that I wanted to say something and before I could stop myself I called out to Kyuhyun.

He turned curiously towards me - a sign for me to continue.

Now or never, Sungmin, now or never.

I took a breath.

"Listen well because I won't repeat myself.  Back there - during the club meet - you were amazing. You were so good that I almost forgot it was you out of all people who was singing. You were so damn perfect that being the proud guy I am I wanted to slaughter you in your sleep for being so good." - Kyuhyun was looking at me in fear mixed with surprise. He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off. - " I am not done. It wasn't just your voice - trust me I've heard ones that could rival yours. It was the emotion. I hate being all romantic and soappy but you made the song sound so beautiful. You were amazing and there's no use denying it no matter how jealous I am beacause trust me I am. After this you can go back to annoying the out of me and I will continue trying not to rip off your face. We'll go back to enjoying our fights like we usually do. And if you ever bring this dicussion up I will deny it and then I will seriously kill you in the most malicious way I can think of."

Kyuhyun stood there for a while with wide eyes while I tried to catch my breath.

Then he chuckled and I smiled at him.

We turned away from each other and both stared at the opposite wall.

The water was still running.

Leeteuk was still swearing.

Kyuhyun and I were a bit less awkward.

This can be classified as progress.

(Not on Leeteuk's part though... How long does it take a guy to wash his hands?)

"So...." - I listened curiously to what Kyuhyun had to say - "You enjoy our fights?"

That punk.

The next second I found myself punching his shoulder. He visibly shook but remained standing.

I pouted and crossed my arms over my chest as Kyuhyun chuckled.

That punk.

"I said I will deny it no matter what." - I half grumbled, half whined.

"Can't really deny your feelings~" -Kyuhyun half sang as I used the few seconds to enjoy his voice.

"Have you ever watched 'Saw'?" - I asked smiling (creepily) into the distance.

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

"Nah... Not really my thing... Why'd you ask?"

"Cause you should."

"Why?"

"So you know what's waiting for you if you don't shut up."

Kyuhyun turned his head to look at me with a confused expression before finally getting what I said and snickering.

"Wow... You're hilarious."

I hissed at the obvious sarcasm.

"I'm not in the mood for irony, Cho."

"You're not in the mood for me." - Kyuhyun corrected me turning his head to look at the opposite wall.

"And never will be."

"We'll see about that."

Just as I was about to come up with a clever retort that would send Kyuhyun shakin in fear the door of the bathroom opened and Leeteuk walked out.

His shirt was wet and his sleeves were rolled up enough for me to see the pen marks on his arms. He looked frustrated but his expression changed to a surprised one when he saw who I was talking to.

Kyuhyun pushed himself off of the wall and bowed a bit to which Leeteuk just absentmindedly nodded while sending me a questioning expression. I just shook my head an mouthed 'later'.

Kyuhyun seemed to understand that he kinda didn't belong here so he bowed once more.

"Well, I'll be going now. It was nice talkin to you Sungmin-hyung. Pleasure to meet you..." - Kyuhyun trailed off as he didn't know my friend's name.

"Leeteuk" - Junsu introduced himself.

"Pleasure to meet you, Leeteuk-shi."

"You too. You're a real good singer." - Leeteuk showed off his famous one-dimple smile.

"Thank you. I'll see you some time later maybe. Have a nice day." - And he was off.

I smiled. Kyuhyun may be a prick but he's well-mannered and polite. To everyone but me that is.

I turned to Leeteuk.

"Kaja." - Leeteuk nodded. We walked towards the exit.

"You never mentioned that Kyuhyun is your friend." - I could hear the slight hurt in his voice.

"He's not. He's Sungjin's friend. So I just kinda know him."

"You sure looked like besties back there." - I snorted.

"You're delusional." - Leeteuk looked at me for a second examining my expression.

"I'm observant."

I rolled my eyes but decided to discontinue this conversation by changing the subject.

"How come you didn't wash off the formulas on your arm."

Leeteuk gasped as if he was reminded that he should be saving the planet right about now and then sighed dramatically.

I chuckled preparing myself for a very long story about stupid physics and permanent markers.

 

*********************************************************************************************

Hey!  I know you probably hate me for not updating in such a long time ( despite actually having this chapter done )

But You don't know where I live so I'm not really scared that you will kill me.