N I N E

C O L L I D E

 

Minkyung rubbed her forehead with her wrist, attempting to relieve an itch. She sighed in resignation and continued with her work, checking empty hospital rooms and collecting any stray paperwork.
 
"Oh Minkyung!" A nurse signaled for her attention. "You're working very hard."
 
"I'm doing my best." Minkyung bowed to her elder.
 
"You're one of our best volunteers." The nurse paused. "The doctor is running late and this patient's guardian has to step out for a bit. Do you think you can make her comfortable until someone's free to take her?"
 
"Of course." Minkyung pouted. "Poor thing."
 
The nurse led her to the patient's room. The nurse that had been previously watching her patted Minkyung's arm on the way out whispering "thanks" so she could continue her duties.
 
"Hi there." Minkyung said sweetly.
 
The girl was small with a wide face. Her eyes seemed older than the rest of her but not dull. She sat politely with her hands folded.
 
"What's your name?"
 
"Minkyung." She chuckled. "What's yours?"
 
"Lee Dasom." She nodded once. "My brother will be right back, he promised."
 
"It's okay. It's very nice of your brother to bring you for your appointment." Minkyung sat on the stool usually reserved for the doctor.
 
"He usually does." Dasom looked down as she kicked her feet in the air. "Maybe you know him. He goes to Jungsang High."
 
"I just started there." Minkyung pursed her lips. "What's his name?"
 
The little girl beamed. "Lee Hyun-"
 
The door swung open. The intruder looked between the two girls.
 
"Dasom! What did I say about talking to strangers?"
 
"She's not that strange, oppa." She giggled. Minkyung shot her a comically dramatic leer.
 
"Hyunsoo, we're in the same class." Minkyung scoffed.
 
Hyunsoo swallowed hard. "I think you're done-"
 
The doctor entered the room, whirling around in search of something. "Has anyone seen-"
 
Minkyung extended Dasom's file to the doctor, who accepted it gratefully. "Thank you, Miss Oh. You are dismissed."
 
Minkyung nodded and started for the door.
 
"You too, oppa." Dasom grinned slyly. Hyunsoo's mouth gaped.
 
"But I always-"
 
"Out." The little girl pointed in the direction of the door.
 
And Minkyung.
 
Hyunsoo shook his head and pushed past her to sit in the waiting room. Minkyung followed.
 
"What do you have against me?" She folded her arms across her chest.
 
"Hm?" He looked up from a magazine that he wasn't really reading. "Nothing."
 
"Then why are you being so stand-offish?" Minkyung sat down in the chair next to his. He got up and shifted down one.
 
"Do you know nothing about me, 'Ice Prince' Lee Hyunsoo?" He rolled his eyes. "I know about you, Girl On Fire, and your band. And you're in way over your heads."
 
"What's that supposed to mean?" Her eyebrows furrowed.
 
"Jungsang is a shark tank." He folded the magazine in his lap. "If you want to get to the top,"
 
He paused for a second, leaning forward. Minkyung leaned toward him.
 
"You have to eat your competition."
 
Minkyung chortled. "You think we're competition?"
 
Hyunsoo rolled his eyes again. "So full of yourself; you're the distraction. Strawberry Fields is the competition."
 
"You're afraid of a fruity band?" Minkyung mused.
 
"You don't know what they're capable of." Hyunsoo said flatly. "Ask your leader."
 
Minkyung opened as Dasom emerged, followed by the doctor. She threw herself at her brother, who stood and caught her with ease.
 
"Everything looks normal for her." The doctor stated. "Nothing to do at this point."
 
Hyunsoo's lips pressed into a straight line and he nodded curtly.
 
"I'm leaving first." He spat at Minkyung. "See you in class tomorrow."
 
Minkyung fumed as she watched him leave with his sister on his shoulders. "Who does this guy think he is?"