F I V E

C O L L I D E

 

Haerim tapped her lip as she  passed through the long white hallway of classrooms.
 
"It should be right up here." Heijung said wistfully. Minkyung trotted up behind them, strands of hair falling out of her french braid.
 
"Way to wait for me, guys." She huffed and pushed past them and into the classroom.
 
"Perfect timing." The teacher looked up as the three girls entered the room. "Class, these are our transfers from Yangpa: Yang Haerim, Hwang Heijung, and Oh Minkyung. I'm sure you'll make them feel welcome."
 
Minkyung bowed politely and scurried off to an empty seat. Heijung followed suit, neglecting eye contact with anyone.
 
"Yo." Haerim nodded and sauntered over to an occupied desk. She smoothed her skirt down and slid onto the desktop. A familiar face looked up, enraged.
 
"Excuse-"
 
"Kwon Jihyuk." She said smugly. "Calm yourself."
 
"What do you want?" Jihyuk scoffed.
 
"I just wanted to say thanks for the other night." Haerim winked and the entire class fell silent. Jihyuk blinked harshly, several times. "Well I'm bored."
 
Haerim shrugged and got up, heading for the door. "Stay in school kiddies!"
 
"She left." Minkyung gaped. "She ditched class."
 
"And us." Heijung added with little enthusiasm. Minkyung pouted.
 
"What was she thanking you for the other night?" Hyunsoo nudged Jihyuk's arm.
 
"Nothing." He stood up and started for the door. He pointed out Minkyung and Heijung as he passed. "You two keep your mouths shut."
 
Heijung pantomimed locking her lips and throwing away the key with a bored expression. Minkyung just scoffed. "How rude."
 
He shook his head and left the room.
 
"Yah, Yang Haerim!" Jihyuk cupped his hands around his mouth. Ahead of him, Haerim stopped and her heel. She folded her arms over her chest as she waited for him to catch up.
 
His eyes traveled over her figure. Aside from the other night, it had been a while.
 
"Will you knock it off, you creep?" She scoffed and rolled her eyes
 
"When did you get back?" Jihyuk's eyes narrowed as he demanded an answer.
 
"Pretty soon after I left." She said, her eyes dropping to the floor. "Something happened.
 
Jihyuk nodded slowly.
 
"And I'm not going to talk about it!" She started to stomp off. Jihyuk grabbed her arm.
 
She glared at his hand as he gripped onto her uniform blazer before wrenching it away. She continued down the hallway without looking back.
 
Jihyuk shook his head and went back to wait for his friends at the end of class.
 
The bell rang and students began to pour into the halls. Hyunsoo barreled past Jihyuk. Hajin came up beside him.
 
"What's going on with your secret girlfriend?"
 
"She's not my girlfriend." Jihyuk snorted.
 
"Liar." Hajin attempted a straight face but erupted into giggles.
 
"What's up with him?" Jihyuk gestured in the direction in which Hyunsoo disappeared.
 
"No idea." Hajin shrugged. "After you left he kept looking between the new girls, the clock, and the door. He was up the second the bell rang."
 
"I wonder what the hell has gotten into everyone around here." He pursed his lips.
 
"Hey, Kwon Jihyuk." Heijung caught up to him quickly with her long strides. Minkyung was directly beside her. "Where'd Haerimmie go?"
 
"How should I know?" He replied. "Is something going on with her parents? She seems strange."
 
The pair of girls looked at each other and then back up at Jihyuk.
 
"Haerim's parents died years ago." Minkyung said softly. She put her head down and melted into the sea of students. Jihyuk was in shock.
 
"Tall dopey kid." Heijung nodded.
 
"Hajin." He grinned and bowed.
 
"Yeah, tall dopey kid." Heijung's eyelids twitched. "Where is the nearest roof entrance?"
 
"The service stairs down the hall and to the right." Hajin blinked in disbelief and Heijung disappeared.
 
"These Yangpa girls aren't what you expected, are they?" Jihyuk asked, smirking.