F O U R

C O L L I D E

 

The girls passed under a banner that read "Welcome, New Students!" as they entered Jungsang High.
 
"This new uniform is itchy." Soomi fidgeted with her pressed, white shirt. Haerim adjusted the collar.
 
"Better?" She asked. Soomi nodded and fell into step alongside Jinri.
 
"This school is huge." Minkyung spun around in circles in the middle of the lobby. "So much room to cause trouble."
 
The girls giggled.
 
"Not on my watch."
 
The girls held their breath as they were greeted by their new dean. He was a cranky, squat man. It looked like he hadn't smiled in a long time.
 
"What she means, sir." Heijung said airily. "Is there is so much open space for the mind to roam and discover the endless knowledge that your fine institution has so generously offered us the opportunity of learning."
 
Minkyung nodded. The dean adjusted his tie and went on his way.
 
"Come on." Haerim grabbed each of their hands. "We've got to get to class."
 
They were soon surrounded by hundreds of other students. They only recognized a few faces from their old school. Most were strangers, eyeing them with cautious interest.
 
Soomi pointed at a group of five boys that were traveling in the opposite direction toward them.
 
"Rimmie, isn't that the guy from the other night?" Soomi pointed at the one in front.
 
"No." She said flatly.
 
"Yes it is." Minkyung shook her arm. "Who are they?"
 
"That's Eye Candy. They recently lost their leader. Pay your respects, girls." Haerim said as the group of boys approached them in the hallway. "We are very sorry for your loss. Byung Hee will always be in your hearts."
 
All five girls bowed in unison before continuing on their way to class. The members of Eye Candy watched as they passed.
 
"What was that?" Hajin asked, wide-eyed.
 
"That." Jihyuk started. "Was CherriBomb."
 
"Should we be afraid?" Kyungjong stood up on his toes to try to see the girls in the disappearing crowd. Hyunsoo's eyes followed them and he shook his head. Jihyuk looked at Do-il for reassurance and kept going forward.
 
"Very."
 
"Who are they?" Hajin asked, eyeing up the tallest one. She stood beside the smallest one and looked like she probably wasn't in a good mood.
 
"That is none of your concern." Jihyuk stated before he, Hyunsoo, and Do-il headed to their next class.
 
"None of our concern?" Kyungjong spat, leaning against a wall.  "Well now I'm concerned!"
 
Hajin rubbed his chin, watching the girls as they huddled around a locker.
 
"My main concern is how they know who we are."
 
"Jo Deo-mi!" Jung Maru called the girl over. She adjusted her glasses. "What can you tell me about the new girls?"
 
Deo-mi pursed her lips and she squinted toward the group. "Those are Yangpa's girls. They're a band called CherriBomb." 
 
Hajin's interest peaked and he joined Kyungjong against the wall to listen in on the conversation.
 
"That's Ahn Soomi, the most cherished and angelic and Hwang Heijung, she knows more than any of us ever will." Park Pyo Joo joined the pair, listening intently.
 
"What about that one?" Be gestured toward the one Hajin had been watching.
 
"Kim Jinri- tall, dark, and completely unattainable." Deo-mi shook her head. "You'd have to be an idiot to try."
 
Pyo Joo just narrowed his eyes.
 
"And the other two?" Maru raised his eyebrows without really portraying any emotion.
 
"Oh yeah." She continued. "Oh Minkyung, the right hand. The girl on fire. Last but not least, Yang Haerim- the leader. A force of nature; she's hardly even human. Nobody gets away with anything around her."
 
"Should we tell Seunghoon?" Pyo Joo asked.
 
"He'll find out soon enough." Maru shrugged.
 
"Kim Jinri, eh?" Hajin bit his lip. "She's a textbook goddess."
 
"Did you not hear 'nobody gets away with anything'?" Kyungjong stuttered.
 
"With Haerim around." Hajin nodded, watching as the girls split up for class. "I'll just have to talk to her when they're not together."
 
"That didn't sound creepy or anything." Kyungjong said sarcastically, rolling his eyes as his friend's eyes followed Jinri as she and Soomi disappeared into the horde of students.