Chapter 7

The Clocks of Fate

“If I were to die…I will..” I whispered, repeating the words that came out of Baekhyun’s mouth. “Give my clock to you.” I don’t know why he would think like that. We try to give our patients so much hope, so they can do their best to survive and make it. It breaks my heart, when a patient is talking to me as if they gave up on life. Baekhyun, is becoming a special person for me, I don’t know why though.

I twirled the pen I had in my hand, thinking about what I should do. With the pen in my left hand, I picked up my cell phone with the other. “Hello?”

“Hello? Haneul-ah? Is everything alright?”

“Hi, Dr. Kim. It’s about Baekhyun… but I think he’s starting to give up.” I looked down to the clipboard with Baekhyun’s profile. “I think I’m going to take Baekhyun out. He’s stable, I believe, for the time being at least. If anything happens, I’ll contact you right away.”

“Well, this is very common for patients to give up when they are at this stage. Just let him know that he’s not alone. You know the drill, Haneul-ah. I trust you.” Suho replied, making me at ease.

“Thanks. I’ll do my best.” I slightly chuckled. “I will go see Baekhyun now. Once again, thank you Dr. Kim.”

“It’s not Dr. Kim, remember?”

I sighed playfully, “Yes, Suho oppa.” I emphasized the word ‘oppa’. “Bye, oppa.”

“Bye Haneul-ah.” I hung the phone up and got up from my seat, walking towards the door. I started heading my way over to Baekyun’s room. My heart was beating fast, I have no idea why though. Standing in front of the door of my patient’s room, I looked into the room. There he was, looking at the clock that was before him, holding it in his hand.

I slid the door open, “Hi Baekhyun.” I peeped my head into the room and saw his smile. The clock was set aside.

“Hi Nurse. Are we going to start our session now?” He asked. I shook my head.

“Not this time, let’s go out. Just you and I, anywhere you wanna go, I’m prepared.” I smiled. He obviously didn’t expect this kind of reply as he looked down. I caught a glimpse of him blushing.

“Really? Anywhere? Just you and me…” He looked down again. “I wanna go outside of the hospital. Anywhere is fine, just out of here. Will you.. take me outside please…” I nodded firmly, assuring him that anywhere is fine.

“Of course, do you have anywhere in particular where you want to go?” I asked. He shook his head slowly.

“Wait, as a matter of fact, I want to go… home. To my aunt’s house, to be exact. You can take me to other places, if it’s okay with you.” He gave me his eye smile, which were barely visible. I walked closer to his bed and helped him up. “It’s okay, I can do this by myself. I’m not a baby.”

I backed up so he felt more independent. He picked up his beanie that was on the table in front and covered it with his head. While he was applying make-up on himself, I patiently waited for him. The eye-liner made his eyes stand out. The way he spread his BB Cream on his face was somewhat interesting as well. In the end, he looked gorgeous, like, ing gorgeous.

“I’m ready, let’s go.” He smiled brightly. *I guess this was a good idea.* I thought to myself. He was walking ahead of me. He was walking faster as I got closer to him. We walked out of the hospital doors, there, Baekhyun stopped. He stopped and looked around his surroundings. “Nurse, you have no idea how happy I am. Like, usually when we go for walks around the hospital, it’s refreshing and all but this feeling is indescribable.”

“I’m glad you feel that way.” I softly said. “Can you lead the way to your Aunt’s? I don’t know where it is.” I sheepishly said. “I also have a place in mind we might be able to go after the visit.”

“Awesome, I can’t wait.” He giggled cutely, “It’s really close from here.” The air was cold, so I shivered. Baekhyun noticed that and came closer. “Are you cold?” He asked. I shook my head.

“No, I’m fine.” I shivered once again due to a heavy gust of wind. “.” I muttered. I heard Baekhyun chuckle. When I looked up, Baekhyun was already taking off his coat and handing it to me.

“Where this. It’s warm so yeah. It’ll keep you warm too.”

“No, you have to wear it. It’s cold and you can’t get sick. I’m fine, I can manage.” He looked at me and instead of wearing the coat like I told him to, he placed his coat on my shoulders. Slowly putting my arms through the sleeves. “Thank you.” I said. He nodded and smiled in satisfaction. Before I realized it, he said we have arrived.

“We’re here.” I looked up and saw the apartment. I smiled, wanting to go inside already.

“Okay, well? What are you waiting for? Lead the way~” I playfully said.