Chapter 1

The Clocks of Fate

 

February 12th, 2010

 

“MOVE OUT OF THE WAY! CRITICAL PATIENT COMING THROUGH! MOVE!”

 

 It was 9:15 p.m.  I was rushing over to the operation room with the other doctors. One of the paramedics handed me a clipboard, I flipped the page and  looked at the health status of the patient.

 

Name: Byun Baekhyun

: Male

Age: around 18

Weight: 58 kg

Height: 174 cm

Health Problems: none.

Health Status: CRITICAL

 

“Doctor, here is the profile of the patient. He got into a car crash in Bucheon  with another person. His car flipped over. His arm is broken and he has a huge gash behind his head. He has hit his head and is now unconsious.” One of the nurses said while pushing the gurney.

“Alright. Let’s quickly get him to the operation room.” I replied.

 

TWO HOURS LATER

 

 

“Who are the relatives of Byun Baekhyun?” I called out.

“Here,” It was a woman in her mid-40s and her husband. “I’m his aunt. How is my nephew doing? Is he alright?”

My least favorite part of my job was giving out these kinds of bad news. “Ma’am…I’m sorry to inform you but as of right now he has fell into a coma. I’m sorry.”

 

“What?! No. He can’t be. No. He was fine just few hours ago. Why? NO! You’re lying right? You must be. Tell me the truth! TELL US! “ She sobbed frantically. I bowed deeply and stayed still. Her husband pulled her into his arms.

 

I walked away from them, upset that this had to happen to them. I went to check on the patient.  I really hate when things like this happen and sometimes I would even get depressed because of these incidents. I enjoy my job but at the same time I hate it. Having this job is a way for me to help people recover and help people but sometimes these unfortunate accidents occur where I can't do anything.

 

I went inside the room where the patient, Byun Baekhyun, was staying. The beeping sound of the monitor could be heard.  I walked over to him and kneeled down. He was really handsome even though he had a few scratches on his face and his head was bandaged. I was carefully observing him for any more scratches and scars but something about him bothered me. In the operation room, I noticed he was holding an object in his right hand.

I slowly unfolded his hand and found that it was a small clock. It was ticking but when I grabbed it, it suddenly stopped. After a moment the clock started ticking again. I looked at the clock and pulled out mine which was in my pocket. I looked back and forth comparing my clock to his. The design was the same, the size was exact, the structure was also the same. I always kept my clock with me, everywhere I went. I  had my clock ever since I was born, it was a present from my grandfather. A knock was heard from the door, I shoved both the clocks in my pocket and called, "It's open~"

 

 

Current Time: February 12th, 2013

 

I was beside Byun Baekhyun again. As of today, it has been three years since the accident and Baekhyun is still in a coma. He’s currently on life support  so we still don’t know when he’ll wake up. I have been looking after him for three years. Sometimes I would talk to him even though he was asleep. I took his clock out and mine as well. A week after his accident, his clock stopped ticking. I brought it to several shops to get it fixed but the people at these shops couldn't fix it because of the same reason, they couldn’t get it to open. I thought it was strange for his to not work and for mine to still work.

 

The door slid open behind me and I quickly shoved the two clocks inside my pocket. “Hello, Nurse Haneul. Thank you for always taking care of my nephew.” It was his aunt, carrying a bouquet of flowers. His aunt usually visited on the weekends since she had to work to pay off the expensive hospital bills. She sat next to me and sighed.  Mrs. Kim has gotten wrinkles on her face because of the stress that would build up since Baekhyun had gotten into a coma.

 

“It’s nothing. How are you today?” I asked.

I have grown closer to Bakehyun’s aunt and uncle as time passed by. “I’m good but lately work has been hectic.” She said.

“ Don't overwork yourself, Mrs. Kim. It’s not good for your health.  Where’s your husband today?”  I asked.

“ Ah. He’s working today. The hospital bills are getting more expensive nowadays that he has to work on the weekends now.”

“ I see…I wish I could do something. “ I told her.

“You’ve done enough child. How is he?”

 Like usual I answered, “We’re not sure. He seems fine but we’re not really sure when he’ll wake up.” Mrs. Kim sighed. She grabbed his hand and kissed the back of it.

 “Baekhyunnie, you have to wake up okay? I know it’s been tough for you but you have to wake up for your aunt, uncle and Nurse Haneul okay? Auntie has to go now. I’ll be back soon.”  She turned to me and said, “Do you mind putting these flowers in a vase, Nurse Haneul? I have to go now but I’ll be back next week.”

“Of course. “ I replied.  “Thank you. Goodbye now. Call me if something happens.” She said and left.  I turned towards Baekhyun and sat back down. Suddenly his hand twitched. I quickly went beside him. “Baekyun? Baekhyun? Are you waking up? Can you hear me? Move your hand if you can hear me. “

I pulled out his clock and placed it back in his hands. I was looking out for any sudden movements, that’s when it happened. The clock that stopped working three years ago started ticking once more.

 

 


 

WOW! Just with the foreword we already got 4 subscribers!! Thank you so much! The first chapter is updated, we hope you like it.
 

COMMENT, SUBSCSRIBE, AND UPVOTE!