Chapter 6

The Clocks of Fate

 

“Nurse Haneul, Dr. Kim would like to talk to you.” said a nurse.
 
Haneul turned around towards the door and looked at Baekhyun for a few seconds. “I’ll be back, Baekhyun.” She told him and went out of the room.
 
When she was outside, Haneul asked the nurse, “Are you new here?” The supposed new nurse had a surprised expression. “Y-Yes. It’s actually my first day here. I’m Minyoung.”
 
“Well, Minyoung welcome. I’m Haneul. If you need anything or help, you can ask me.” Haneul smiled. Minyoung nodded, shyly. “I need to get going now. I’ll see you later, Minyoung.” Haneul said and walked off.
 
*******
 
“Doctor?” Haneul said as she opened the door, slowly. Suho was sitting at his desk, who seemed to be distressed about something. “Doctor?” Haneul repeated again.
 
“Ah, Haneul. Take a seat.” Suho told her. He had a serious expression on his face. “Is there something wrong? Wait, don’t tell me I’m getting fired.” Haneul was about to start panicking. She needed this job to survive. “No, of course not, you’re such a great nurse. Why would I want to fire you?” 
 
“Well, you seemed bothered and all serious than usual, so I thought...” She said, looking around his office. “Haneul, it’s about Baekhyun.” That caught her attention. Haneul looked straight at Suho and said, “What about him?”
 
“Byun Baekhyun has a severe case of traumatic brain injury. Having these kinds of seizures indicates that he has a severe case of TBI. We need to prescribe some medication for those seizures and also keep a real close eye on him as I said before.”
 
“What? Really? Is it that bad?” Haneul said. “Can’t we do anything?”
 
“It’s not that easy, Haneul. I have to study more on Baekhyun’s condition.“ Suho said.
 
All of a sudden, the door opened. “Doctor Kim, there is an emergency patient arriving in a few minutes. We need you.” It was Minyoung. She gave a smile to Haneul and awkwardly, Haneul smiled back.
 
“I’ll be there. Haneul, take care of Baekhyun. Keep a close eye on him.” Suho commanded her and all Haneul could do was nod.
 
*******
 
After the talk with Suho, Haneul went straight to Baekhyun’s room. When she entered the room, Baekhyun’s parents were present. Haneul bowed respectfully and they did the same. “I heard that our Baekhyun had a seizure. What’s wrong with him?” Mrs. Kim said. “I have…bad news to inform. Since the doctor is currently attending a critical patient in the emergency room, I will be delivering the news. Baekhyun, would you be alright with your aunt and uncle hearing this?” Baekhyun nodded. Haneul took a deep breath and began talking. “The doctor has informed that Baekhyun has a severe case of TBI, or otherwise known as, traumatic brain injury. To be simply put, it is brain damage, followed by other side effects such a seizures, headaches, sudden change in personality, etc. The seizure that Baekhyun had was quite long and he may experience more seizures in the future.”
 
Mrs. Kim clutched her head and Mr. Kim rushed to her side. “Dear? Are you alright?” Mrs. Kim began sobbing. “My Baekhyun! Why?! Why does he has to have-“She said in between sobs. Mr. Kim comforted her. Haneul felt her heart drop, watching Baekhyun’s aunt break down. She looked at Baekhyun and he had a poker face on but Haneul could read him easily. Baekhyun, although he had that expression on his face, he felt devastated inside. He suddenly felt like a burden to his loving aunt and uncle. Feeling Haneul staring at him, he looked at her.
 
“Is it life threatening, Nurse Haneul?” Mr. Kim spoke. “As of right now, if the seizures continue, it may become life threatening but we have already prescribed medications for him to reduce the amount of seizures he may have in the future. We will do anything we can to reduce the risk of his health deteriorating any further. Please keep in mind though, there are other side effects other than seizures. Change in personality, becoming mentally unstable, headaches and more, as I said before.” Haneul said.
 
*******
 
A few hours later, the visiting hours were finished and Baekhyun’s guardians went home, Haneul went to check on Baekhyun. It was 11:05 P.M. Haneul was exhausted, but she was also worried out of her mind for Baekhyun. Even though, they aren’t close, Haneul felt a special connection with Baekhyun. It was probably because of those matching clocks the two have.
 
She opened the door and went in, only to see that Baekhyun was still awake. He was staring out the hospital window, as he sat up in his bed. To Haneul, Baekhyun just seemed beautiful as the moonlight reflected against Baekhyun’s skin. She walked closer to Baekhyun and sat next to him. Finally noticing a presence next to him, he found Haneul there. “How are you able to be so professional about delivering bad news to patients?” It was an unexpected question from Baekhyun.
 
Haneul thought about it and said, “It’s my job. It’s part of it and I have to keep myself from breaking down also.” Baekhyun stared at her and turned towards the window again. An awkward silence, enveloped them. Not liking this silence, Haneul began talking. “You’re not going to sleep?” she asked.
 
Baekhyun shook his head. “What about you?”
 
“I-I came to check on you.” Haneul said and looked away. “You look tired, nurse.” Baekhyun pointed out.
 
“I am, a bit…Baekhyun, do you still have that clock with you?”
 
“Yeah I do, but I won’t be needing it anymore soon.” Baekhyun said and he stared at his hands.
 
“Why not?”
 
“I’m probably going to die, nurse. I feel so useless…I probably won’t be myself. If that happens, if I were to die, I’ll give my clock to you.”
 
____________________________________________
 
A longer chapter. 
Hope you readers enjoy! 
Comment, Subscribe, Upvote. 
 
-exocrazygirl, Crazy4BAP, kiki_loves_KARA