Chapter 3

The Clocks of Fate
 “It can’t be…” Baekhyun whispered to himself.

“What?”

“I mean…my grandfather told me that-“ Then all of a sudden, Baekhyun started groaning in pain, clutching his head.

“Baekhyun-sshi? Baekhyun-sshi? Are you alright?” I started panicking. I went out of the room and looked for Doctor Kim. When I finally caught him walking to another patient’s room, I started running. “Doctor! Its Baekhyun!”

 Dr. Kim turned around, surprised. “Well hello Nurse Haneul.”

“Doctor, I’m sorry but we don't have time for this, something is wrong with Baekhyun. We have to hurry!” We arrived in his room and there were already other nurses in there, trying to calm him down.

Dr. Kim rushed over to him and examined him. “I assumed this would happen. We need to get him to do a CT scan right now.” He said. “Baekhyun? We are going to move you right now to an examination room. Nurse Haneul, you know what to do, contact his guardian right now.’’ I nodded in response and went over to the receptionist.

 “I need to borrow the phone right now. “ The receptionist nodded and quickly handed the phone, realizing that it was an emergency.

After a few rings, Mrs. Kim answered. “ Hello?”

“Hi, Mrs. Kim. You need to get to the hospital now. Something happened to Baekhyun and the doctor needs to talk to you. Please come immediately.”

“What? Okay, I understand. I will be right there.” I could already hear from the background that she was starting her car. “I’ll see you at the hospital.” She said and hung up.

I ran over to the CT scanning room. When I entered the room, Baekhyun seemed to have calmed down and was already being scanned. Dr. Kim was watching him attentively and next to him was another doctor that was running the CT scan. “Um, doctor. I have called his aunt and she is driving here as we speak. How is he?” I asked, worried.

 “Well, looking at the results, there seems to be nothing wrong. I believe that the cause of the extreme pain was because he hit his head in the accident. Can you get me his profile please?” I gave him the folder and Dr. Kim looked through it. “Ah I see. I remember. He had a three-hour surgery for his head and his broken arm. Doctor Lee, can you scan the back of his head?” He asked and Doctor Lee nodded.

 Few minutes later, the results came out and Dr. Kim observed it. “Okay, here it is. It appears that looking here, Baekhyun has traumatic brain injury. We’ll need to examine him more on that. Let’s get him out of here and back to his room then. Thank you, Doctor Lee, for assisting us. “ Dr. Kim bowed. I also bowed and went to the CT scanner to get Baekhyun out.

“How are you feeling?” I asked him.

“I’m fine now. Did you call my aunt?”

“Yes, I did.” I told him. All of a sudden, it became quiet. He broke the silence.

“Something is wrong with me right? Don’t lie to me. I’m sure that the severe headache from earlier isn’t normal. I’m causing trouble for my aunt and uncle again…they’re probably having a really hard time because of me. “

“I’m sure they don't feel like that Baekhyun. They really do love you. Come on, your aunt and uncle must be really anxious to see you. “

 At Baekhyun’s room, I found Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim waiting. They stood up abruptly and Mrs. Kim walked to hug Baekhyun. It was a really touching sight. “I was so worried for you. Are you okay? Is he okay, Nurse Haneul?” Mrs. Kim asked.

“The doctor will be coming in a short while to discuss about his condition.” I slightly bowed.

“Mr. and Mrs. Kim? I need to talk with you about Baekhyun. Nurse Haneul, him to his room please.” It was Dr. Kim.

 - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - - --- -- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - ---  --  -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  --

 

We went inside the room and Baekhyun lay down on the bed. “Are you going to tell me what’s wrong with my body?” All of a sudden, I became nervous. I didn't want to be the one to break the news to him but he had the right to know. “Well?” he said.

 

I in the air and said, “You have a condition known as Traumatic Brain Injury or TBI. It is common in people who hit their head really hard such as in accidents, military combat excreta. Your brain is damaged and we don’t know the extent of the damage. We need to examine you further.”

“Brain damage huh?” Baekhyun said to himself. The reaction he had was surprising. He didn't seem depressed or angry; instead, he showed no emotion.

A knock was heard and his aunt and uncle came in with Dr. Kim. His aunt and uncle seemed upset.” Nurse Haneul, would you leave the room for a second? We need to talk with Baekhyun.” Dr. Kim said.

“Of cour-“

“She can stay here. She’s been taking care of me for three years right? Nurse Haneul, please stay here.” Baekhyun interrupted. “Uh okay then, regarding your condition, you will need to stay in the hospital a little bit longer than we thought. Your aunt and uncle have given perrmission to examine you more. Will that be fine with you Baekhyun?”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun replied..

 

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After the discussion with Baekhyun’s aunt and uncle, I went to Lu Han’s room, to tell him he will be discharged from the hospital later today. As I walk there, looking at the status of other patients, I bumped into someone.

“I’m so sorry-“ I bowed down and I heard a chuckle. “You don’t always have to be so formal, Haneul-ah.

“Oh, Dr. Kim.”

“What did I say about you calling me Dr. Kim? You should call me Oppa or Joonmyun. We’ve been working with each other for a long time right?”

“Yes…Joonmyun Oppa.” I said, blushing.

He smiled and said, “Oh yeah, Haneul-ah, you will be the only one taking care of Baekhyun from now on. From providing him daily breakfast to therapy sessions. That was a request from his aunt and uncle. They seem to like you a lot.”

“Roger that, oppa.” I said. I went on my way, smiling.

 


Well, another update for all of you lovely subscirbers~ Thank you guys so much for subscibing to this story. Did you know there's arleady 22 subscribers?? Can't beleive it! Continue to give us support and we will update as much as we can.