12

Backstage Couple

Myungsoo sat next to the sleeping Jieun, looking peaceful yet dreadfully tired. He was worried when he heard she collapses, it is rare of her to be collapsing easily. She must be very tired and seeing how pale she is, days must have been tough to her. The smell of alcohol and drugs found it ways to the man nose, it was uncomfortable, and somehow he doesn’t like hospitals.

Her skin was very pale, her lip was dried and slowly turning slightly purple. Her fingertips were cold and her hair was messy. There was a bruise around her ankle, signaling it would be hard for her to walk for the next few days, thanks to her new habits of wearing heels while constantly falling on them. Myungsoo sighs, looking at her worriedly. The doctor has yet to give any confirmation about her current condition; he only said he’d be fine as he took Mrs. Kwon for a more serious talk.

They couldn’t even dig any information about her disease from Mrs. Kwon. She told them that she collapses right after entering the door. Jiyeon was sitting at the other end of the bed, while the INFINITE decided to wait outside. Myungsoo knows things won’t be great between the INFINITE and Jieun once she woke up, they’re blaming her for cutting off their serious discussion.

“Is Noona okay?” Sungjong asked, after Myungsoo exited the room.

“She’s still sleeping. Let’s not disturbed her. The doctor said he’ll be fine.”

“She isn’t suffering from a dangerous disease, right?” Hoya bit his lower lips.

“I don’t know. The doctor hasn’t said anything.”

“She rarely collapses. Can I see her? I just wanted to check on her.” Woohyun requested, earning a nod from Myungsoo.

“But… don’t you think her timing is great? It feels like she’s trying to prevent us from convincing you.”

“Lee Sungyeol, what’s wrong with you?”

“Well, we can’t blame her but still… her timing is great.”

“So you’re all blaming her, even her own new-found best friend is blaming her.”

“I don’t think Ms. Lee would be happy to see all of you fighting once she woke up. Why don’t all of you go home and take some rest? I’ll take care of her.” Mrs. Kwon appeared, stopping the childish boys from fighting.

They all nervously rubbed the back of their heads, guilty for being childish and rather selfish. Myungsoo glares at each and every one of them, shooting daggers as they all triggers the cold man angers. They sheepishly smiled, although Sungyeol was being hot-headed, rolling his eyes before the elders. Mrs. Kwon could only chuckle, as the boys started to question her condition.

“The doctor said she’ll be fine. She needed some extra rest and attentive care. She overworks herself. She’s suffering from anemia, a quite acute one.”

The door slides open before the boys could even respond to it. Woohyun plopped out behind the door, whispering that she has finally woken up. The seven of them almost immediately stands up, ready to barge in the door, but Woohyun asked them to come one by one. Myungsoo started to walk to the door, yet isn’t fast enough compared to the running Sungjong. He rolled his eyes as Woohyun shut the door open, as soon as Sungjong entered.

“Noona!” they could hear Sungjong voice, even from the outside.

***

“Hey,” Myungsoo greeted the pale-looking lady, lying lifelessly on the bed.

“Hey,”

“Are you feeling better?”

“I used to be stronger though.”

“I told you, you should eat up! Who told you to go out there today? Especially when it all rains and windy.”

“I know. I know. You sounded like my grandma right now. No, uh, even Mrs. Kwon scolded me just now.”

“Yeah, you deserve it.”

“Sungjong, too, scolded me,”

“Seven boys are getting in the line, you know, taking turns to scold you.”

“You’re mean,”

“You’re stupid.”

“What would you become if I’m stupid?”

“Smarter than Woohyun?”

“I think I’ll get sick from talking to you.”

“Meanie. Now, now, why don’t you rest? I’ll tell the boys you are sleeping.”

Myungsoo sat next to the lady, after a few minutes of quarreling. The boys were chuckling, holding back their laughter. The couple fights a lot, not to mention, their quarrels are undeniably funny. Sometimes, they would be eavesdropping, whenever Jieun and Myungsoo started to quarrel. Even Dongwoo had a record of it, sometimes they just played it out to tease the cold-looking man.

He took his earphone out, giving Jieun an earpiece and helps her to put it on. He brushes his cold fingertips against her hair, placing his hands on her forehead to check on her temperature. He smiled, playing the soft music to put her to sleep. He held her hand, as she slowly shut both her eyes closed and drifted off to dreamland. She had a beautiful faint smile, even in her sleep.

***

Kim Myungsoo was deep in his thoughts. His eyebrows were twitching, once in a while creating a faint wrinkle on his forehead. He furrowed his eyebrows, narrowing his gaze to the small blank space at the corner of the room – deepening his thoughts. Once again, the sigh escape his lips, the casual sighs that signal his tired and depressed brain. He may have been thinking for too much, pushing himself to the edge. Frustrated, he got up and storm all the way down to grab some refreshment.

His refrigerator, fortunately, has more than enough things to contain him. With one swift movement, he swung the huge gray-colored door open. The cooling air greeted him, cooling his body and soul. It calms him, as his eyes scan for much refreshment and some snacks to get his mind straight. From mineral water to cola, soju, wine, and everything that might calm him, he found none would help. Rather than feeling his stomach with something healthy, he grabbed a can of soda. He quickly clicked it open as some of the liquid bursts up and ended up spilling out of the can.

He quickly gulp down the liquid. The sensation filled his mouth, ticking his tongue. He run his finger through his black hair, ruffling it in frustration. He would be pleased to have Jieun right now. Her only presence could ease him. He could share his thoughts freely, without being under any type of pressure. But now, she’s lying sick on the cold dreadly stinks hospital bed. It’s another worrisome thins that he need to worry about. He didn’t even plan to go home, if only that girl would stop being stubborn – insisting him to go home.

Would it worth it?

The thought pass through his mind. Would he give up his dream for something he didn’t even sure about? It doesn’t make sense. He has quite a future right now; he graduated from one of the best universities, pursuing his dream and also personal hobbies. He didn’t have any job right now, but he’s sure he could found one soon enough. Yet being an idol, signing up the contract, it didn’t promise him any brighter future. He could be successful, yet he could be a complete flunk. There’s no guarantee of being successful, it’s not that much different with his situation right now. Signing the contract might leads to regret and waste of time.

Damn, it’s just too complicated! He ruffled his hair and tossed the empty can to the bin next to him. The sigh escapes his lips and his fatigue overwhelmed him. He collapses to the couch, closing his eyes, trying to sleep. But failed. Tonight, it will be a long lonely night.

***

Lee Ji Eun woke in the middle of the night. Her heart was racing, faster than the running horses. She was sweating and both her eyes were wide open. Her breathing was uneven. Both her hands clutch the side of the bed, gripping it tightly. It took her a minute to calm herself down. It was a nightmare. She has no memories of what it was, but it was scary enough to make her lose herself control. It’s been a while since she has nightmares and it doesn’t feel great.

She glances at the clock, 2 in the morning. It was too early for her to wake up, especially when she was in no condition to stay up late or wake up early. She glances at the chair next to her, only to find the spot empty. Her face turns from pale to uneasy, as she found the spots empty. He’s home and safe, she knows it, yet it still bothers her.

She remembers how he holds her hand so warmly and so tightly, as she drifted off to dreamland. He insisted to stay, but she asked him to go home and rest. She knows he needed it, his expression doesn’t seem to be good. It wasn’t the only thing he needs, she knows him well enough to read his mind. He needed her, he wanted to hold on to her, it was the first time he ever grabbed her hand so tightly.

He was very uneasy, she could see it. His expression doesn’t seem good. His gaze keeps turning blank and he keeps drowning himself inside his silent thought. He told her none of it, as he didn’t want to be a burden to her, especially when she’s lying sick in the hospital bed. Once in a while, Jieun find the man lost in his thoughts, narrowing his gaze to an empty bed, with eyebrows twitching. He bit his lower lips from time to time, his upper lips, and Jieun would watch silently. He was indeed in an agony, he was lost, not knowing what to do and Jieun has lost her right to interfere his life.

Is he sleeping well?

She wanted to know if he was at ease. She wanted to ease him but she knows she was incapable of it. She would only trouble him even more. If she called, he would immediately wake up, unable to sleep for the rest of the night. He would be worried because she sounded very weak and anxious. If she didn’t called, she fears he might be anxious, scared, and in an agony, not knowing what to do. She fears he might have troubled going to sleep. Myungsoo rarely shows an uneasy expression and that made her uneasy too.

She grabbed her phone and stares at it. It was his pictures, unclear whether he’s smirking or faintly smiled. He looks handsome there and Jieun found herself staring blankly at it. It wasn’t the stares of admiration but an anxious one. She was wondering around about him. She rarely worried about him, since she knows he’s old enough to take care of himself yet at times like this… how she hope she could do something.

***

The sun rays penetrate through the white-colored curtain, painting the white walls with the slightly yellowish colors. It was bright, brighter than how it used to be a few days ago. The warmth slowly wrapped her gently, bringing the pale girl to a more comfortable sleep. She was still sleeping soundlessly, after staying awake for quite a few hours earlier. Her lip wasn’t as pink as how it used to be, it was plump. Her skin tone was paler than usual and she looked weak.

The door slide open, the creaking sound of it wakes the lady. The sudden blinding light made her vision turn blurry before it darkens to a complete pitch black. She squint her eyes and put her palm over her eyes, before opening it once more as she adjusted it to the bright sun rays. An old woman plopped out; she comes out from the door while bringing a huge box. She greeted her warmly; with her casual mother-like good morning that calms the sick lady. She smiled back at her.

She didn’t even have to ask, for the lady to know her thoughts. She quickly smiled at her, putting the box down next to her. She took a step back to face her, before words started to escape her lips.

“This is a delivery from young master Kim. He was just here, but… he left after seeing you asleep.” She explained and bowed down, excusing herself from the room.

It made her uneasy, despite the fact that she should’ve been happy that Myungsoo would send a package to her. But she was very uneasy; she furrowed both her eyebrows and narrowed her gaze to the package. It was quite big, yet very light. It made her wonder what he had sent her, hopefully it won’t be a sign of something bad. She tried to get up and sit, and cringes at the sudden dizziness that fill her.

Slowly, she took the light package and settled it on her lap. Her fingers carefully trace the outline of the package, examining it. Paper cranes. It was filled with numerous colorful paper cranes that Jieun gasped at the beauty of it. It was colorful and indeed very pretty. It made her heart beat faster, yet it was beating in fear and anxiety. She should’ve been happy, it was a thousand crane, something Myungsoo made to wish her a full and quick recovery. Yet she knows behind it, lies a hidden meaning. He wasn’t able to sleep last night, that’s why he spent it making thousand cranes.