11 || Pathway II

Backstage Couple

Kim Myungsoo knows Lee Ji Eun won’t be appearing anytime soon, since Park Jiyeon had finally returns. It’s been a while since all of them could gather up and meet up, especially the two best friends who have been separated for three long years. Myungsoo knows she’d prefer having a girl day-out rather than being trapped to a date with him and today, she will be loosening herself to hang out with Jiyeon. There are only two people in the world that could transform the upright young lady to a rather easy going one, Park Jiyeon and Nam Woohyun.

No matter how much the tingling sounds of the bell echoed, the young lady won’t be appearing anytime soon. Myungsoo could only smile, knowing she must be having so much fun by now, while he have to worked hard, singing to entertain the customers. The INFINITE were having their rehearsals, trying to make their voices in sync, memorizing the songs, while Hoya was busy dancing around. The boys were as messy as ever, not to mention, they usually turns to a bunch of childish guys.

And now, after a small performance, the seven of them were forced to sit face-to-face to a stranger. He looked rather young, maybe around mid 30s; rather than dressing himself up in a nice expensive suit, he was dressed in a casual cheap-looking shirt and slip in a pair of denim jeans. His looks were unconvincing, he looks like a rather casual man that would be found at the streets, yet he was holding a file that would guarantee the seven of them a bright future. Yet the seven of them was slightly unconvinced, he could be another swindler because these days they aren’t even something rare.

“I see, the seven of you are quite talented. Have you ever thought about becoming a singer? I could let you feel how it is to sing on stage, where every eye stares at you.” The man spoke, placing the thick document on the table.

“You, what is your name?” He points at Myungsoo.

“Kim Myungsoo.”

“You could be our visuals.”

“How about you?”

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“And you?”

“Nam Woohyun.”

“The seven of you should just sign the contract and I’ll let you become stars. Isn’t the deal sounded great?”

***

Lee Ji Eun was having fun with her best friend before her phone vibrated; signaling some business would soon filled her free time. She groaned, as it keeps on ringing, as she stared with a pitiful gaze to Jiyeon. Jiyeon could only nod, knowing it could have been some kind of an urgent matter, and it was perfectly true. Lee Ji Eun, the woman with a bright future, will have to excuses herself and run for another urgent matter.

“You have to go, right?” Jiyeon smiled.

“Yeah. It’s ready, the boutique. I’ll have to take care of it.”

“Go! I’ll wish you luck! I’ll write an article about it, who knows it might become popular because of me!”

“Thank you, Jiyeon!”

“Don’t even mention it! You owe me lunch!”

It took her a fifteen minutes trip, taking a subway train before arriving at the boutique, located somewhere in Gangnam. She felt bad for leaving Park Jiyeon, but she knows even her best friend would have to leave soon after receiving a job offer in one of Korea’s top daily magazine. It was a small shop that she has decided to rent for the time being, as she’d start her career at her hometown.

Her personal assistant and also maid, Mrs. Kwon, was already standing there with a man. He was dressed in a suit, classifying himself as an elite level worker with some others who are no other than the interior designers and their staff. Jieun fixed herself, as she let a sigh of relief, it was a good thing she wear a dress or else she might be in trouble.

“Ms. Lee! You’re just on time!” Mrs. Kwon greeted, introducing the man beside her.

The two bowed to each other, greeting each other politely. In the word of those who had known what business means, greeting shall only be polite and remain unfriendly. It was rare to received a warm greeting from a business partner, but Lee Ji Eun could have changed the man mindset. She greeted him brightly, despite his cold greetings.

“Shall we get started?”

“Sure. Since this will have to be finished in two weeks, let’s get to work.”

***

The atmosphere turns lonely once Lee Jieun decided to leave; Park Jiyeon was just walking around the streets. She regrets yelling at Seungho, as she forces him to leave and ended up being alone at the crowded streets. People turns busy and even changes as time passes by and Lee Ji Eun may have become the busiest among them all, as she has finally found a job.

However, it didn’t take long until her phone rings, after a fifteen minutes wondering around the street of Hongdae. A smile quickly curls her lips up, as she told the caller that she’d be there immediately. In the end of the day, all of them manage to get some work, as they become an adult, ready to enter the society. She had become a journalist, maybe with the same bright future as Lee Ji Eun. Well, she had just begun her career.

It was quite far away from Hongdae, around the heart of Seoul where tall buildings cover the sky. It was one of the busiest districts in Seoul, where everything is filled with paper works and rings of the phone. Jiyeon arrived in one of the tallest building, as she entered it with pride. She had a satisfied smile on her face.

“Park Jiyeon-ssi, it’s nice meeting you. You could start working immediately, as the head of the gossip column. I’m looking forward to see your future works.”

“I’ll do my best.”

The room was filled with paper works and documents, the computers that seem to be working hard days and night. Almost everyone seems to be busy, some with their phone that can’t stop ringing, some typing countless words, some getting ready for the interviews; everyone was much focused on their works. Their computer screen was filled with various documents.

Park Jiyeon entered her own private working room, it was nice and tidy, rather than listening to the commotion out there, she could work in peace. She took out her laptop, placing it gently on top of her new desk. She smirked, as she found the phone, being very quiet and rather calm. She harshly took the phone, pressing a few buttons.

“Hey, do you have some interesting news around?”

***

Indeed, the day has become rather tiring and tight with their own busy schedules, as each and every one of them has decided to take a different pathway. Lee Ji Eun was finally on her way home, after another 10 hours of working, designing new clothes and new designs for her new boutique. Not to mention, she have been working on field for two hours, under the rainy weather to make sure her boutique would come out beautifully. She designs almost everything, from A to Z.

She hasn’t had the time to call Myungsoo and she knows he’d be pouting all day long once they could meet each other. Park Jiyeon, too, hasn’t given her any latest news after being left alone earlier. She, too, hasn’t heard any news from neither of the two. It was unusual of Myungsoo, to have not called her at this hour. He usually called or at least texted her, especially when she had just disappeared without a word. She sighs; her legs almost gave up on her, as she took her way back home. It was a long-tiring trip since she misses the last bus that would depart to the district near her home, thankfully it only took her half an hour walk to arrive. She was feeling limb, barely able to walk anymore, as she finally arrived at the front door.

The weather was freezing cold; the wind that blows gently was unbelievably cold. It made her shudders. It was about to rain soon, as the full-moon was missing behind the clouds. She could feel the raindrops, falling on top of her head, slowly getting herself wet. She shudders as the wind started to blow harsher, hugging her own body to warm herself up.

She bit her lower lips, as the atmosphere suddenly turn heavy. Her vision was slightly blurry with her head spinning around. She was dizzy that suddenly it turns hard to walk straight and ended up swaying around. Her heels was slowly killing her, she could get an injured ankle because of it. Her breath turns uneasy and heavy, she once again sighs. It was her symptoms, if she ever got too tired, yet it amused her how worse it has turned over the past few weeks.

Her body was slowly shaking as she run her fingertips through the bell at the front door. As the main gate opens, Jieun quickly step inside to warm herself up. It didn’t take long before the door open. The maids quickly opened it for her as they all gasp seeing how pale she looked. They quickly brought a blanket to her, helping her to warm herself up as some of them quickly went to the kitchen to make some hot tea for the lady.

But then, her vision turn pitch black and her body turn limb. She could not feel any energy, and the last thing she could remember was the screams of the maids, calling out her name.

***

The INFINITE were having a serious discussion back in Kim Myungsoo’s house. They were blown out of their mine because the mind-blowing offer they had just received. It was somehow unbelievable, not to mention their decision would have to depend on each and every one of them. They wasn’t individually offered but rather offered as a group. It was a heart-thumping moment, they were so nervous and it seems it blows their mind at the perfect time.

They could have been swindled, at least the three of them – Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woohyun, and Kim Myungsoo – believed so. However, the other naïve members were a bit too optimistic, especially the dork Lee Sungyeol and the little boy Lee Sungyeol. Hoya was day dreaming; thinking hard about what it would feel to dance on stage while wise man Dongwoo stayed calm about the matter. The seven of them were so deep in thoughts, thinking whether to slip off the chance or take it, yet they will have to convince Kim Myungsoo.

“We could have been swindled, you know.”

Judging from how the man looks, they supposed he is indeed a swindler. He wasn’t dressed up properly, wearing only cheap casual clothes. His words too, it wasn’t that much convincing and his looks somewhat… it was too ordinary. He looks like an ordinary man that would be found by the streets. He could be a swindler, needing immediate money, yet as the saying goes, don’t judge a book by its cover.

“But this too… could be our best chance.”

They were once again deep in their thoughts; no one was daring enough to open their mouth. Sunggyu shut both his eyes closed, knowing sooner or later, he’d be the one having to convince Kim Myungsoo to take the chance. He took out a small card from his pocket, something the man has given to him earlier. An address and phone number was written on it, together with the company name. They could went out to check it out, at least if all of them agreed.

“They offer us as a group, not individually. Even if we could start off our career individually, I don’t want it. If we all agreed, let’s check it out and stayed as a group.”

They all glances to one another, knowing the swindled problem isn’t that much big. They were all well-educated, the graduates of Korea top scholars. They know how to differ people and some of them even mastered the education of politics and laws. They could easily charge him, if he is truly a swindler, yet the main problem is convincing Kim Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo. They all stare at him.

“What do you think, L?”

He grimaced, knowing they had left a huge burden on him, as their decision would have to depend on him. They all know he loves photography more than anything; it wasn’t his dream either to stand on stage and perform. He never wishes for such a thing, but would be pleased to be able to try it out. However, it wasn’t an option to give up his dreams as photographer as a singer. He had the slight dream of it, but not to that extent. Among them all, he was the only one different, who might take a different path from the rest of them.

“I don’t think it is nice to put such a burden on him. We can all decide on our own path. What’s the point of forcing one another?”

“Then, why don’t we just break up? We become a group thanks to our similarity. Have you forgotten it, Jang Dongwoo? Remember back then in high school? Our reason to stay together.”

“Lee Sungyeol, watch your words!”

“So what do you think, L?”

He grimaced again, cringing at the sight of it. They were all forcing him, even the wise Dongwoo, despite his words; he was looking at him with such a hopeful gaze. He would like to try it, yet he would not give up on his dream and hobby. He knows entering a place won’t be as easy as exiting it. Yet it would be selfish of him, to let down his team mates and crush their dream just because of his decision.

“I –“

The six of them cringes, when his phone suddenly rings, causing their discussion to be cut out. They almost convinced him; even Sunggyu couldn’t hide his anger and curses under his breath. Sungyeol grunted while Hoya groaned. Sungjong sighs, pouting while cursing at himself. Woohyun punches the wall next to him, rolling his eyes as some of his dislike toward the man rises once more. Myungsoo excuses himself to receive the phone call.

“Mrs. Kwon, is something wrong?”

“I’m… I guess so. Is there something wrong? If it’s urgent maybe…”

“I’ll be there soon.”

His team mates grimaced but soon turn serious when he put on a serious expression and a deep gaze. He grunted, standing up and leaving without a word. He slammed the door closed, yet they could find the traces of his anxiousness. He looked rather scared, fearing something bad might happen. However, all of them was annoyed, until the words come out, filling the missing pieces.

Lee Ji Eun collapses.

***

There is no such thing as rest for journalist, if an urgent and hot topics come, they would have to come to office at anytime to write an article. Laptop is something necessary and the internet has become their life, pen and some notes to scribble on is more important than their life. Park Jiyeon has ended her first day of work with much trouble. It was indeed a busy day.

She was greeted by her boyfriend once she went back home. He was still dressed in a pair of denim jeans and a v-neck shirt. She knows it; he was having a photo shoot earlier this morning. Being a model he is, sometimes he has become an important topic for journalist. It wasn’t only once or twice that she needed to save him from scandals, causing her more trouble at the office.

She was having a long tiring day, heading for the nice and peaceful rest on her king-sized bed, when her phone suddenly rings. She jumps in, hoping it won’t be some kind of breaking news, which needs her immediate presence. She grunted, flipping herself on the bed, before harshly grabbing her phone and curses it.

“Hello,” it wasn’t a very friendly tone.

“Oh God, I’ll be there, soon.”

Lee Ji Eun collapses.