04 || Changed

Backstage Couple

The reality hits them, the fact that they both may have moved on.

Jieun was shocked to see him, her heart skips a beat. It wasn’t something caused by love, first love or anything that caused affection – at least she chooses to put it that way. However, it wasn’t exactly true, half of them are lies. It was simply the thing caused by the distant, the pain. Two years, it’s all it took for both of them to move on.

At first, the fact that they once again encounter each other was shocking to her. The pain that slowly engulf her was bearable, as it is mixed with a slight excitement. All of it was bearable, the anxiety, the nervousness – she wanted to know whether he’s doing well. But then her eyes met hers. It darted, landing perfectly on her perfect figure – Bae Suzy.

Two years... it’s all it took for the woman to take the particular spot inside his heart, the spot that supposed to belong to the one and only Lee Ji Eun – a special part. Yet that woman managed to take it away, stealing it from the right owner, who has done nothing but left without a word. Jieun, even she has moved on, the fact that he is indeed still special was undeniable. He still own that spot, the particular spot inside her heart that no one could take.

She was linking her arms with his, smiling sweetly while facing him. She flirts around, calling his name in sweet yet flirty tone. He didn’t even bother to shove her off him or simply shrugged, unlike the old days. He just stayed with the old-cold-aura, surrounding him. Did he like it? They might have kissed already. It made her wonder a lot and sure it hurts.

Jieun wanted to force a smile or at least fake a laugh. An awkward laugh would be more than enough, so she could excuses herself and ran away from reality. She must make her heart to stop hurting and ended all the pain, even if running away is the ultimate answer. She could act as if that man is only a stranger, she pass by in coincidence. It hurts, as much as it isn’t supposed to. It hurts.

As much as she wanted to run away, her heart has been waiting for too long. She can’t take her eyes off him, so does he. The brown orbs that once again met his dark orbs. Once again, just like the old days, just like when they first met and fall in love, she wanted to dive it to its depth and touch its bottom if it have one. And just like that day, she was mesmerized by his gaze and it would be a lie if he has ever said the opposite.

The silence was thrilling, even the INFINITE who usually turn extremely noisy as they are a bunch of prankster, turn to pure silence when they saw the two meeting each other for the first time in two years. They indeed know that the two are still in love, but the fact both of them have decided to move on and may have move on is a bigger trouble. No one can break the silence, even Suzy turn helpless as she stood frozen by Myungsoo side.

***

Myungsoo could feel the slight pang inside his heart, banging his chest hard, as it slowly grows to engulf him as the ultimate goal. This year, he hopes for her return, only to find her return rather shocking and unpleasant. He wasn’t ready to see her, both his heart and brain. They weren’t prepared at all; it was a mistake hoping for her return, wishing for her return. In the end of the day, he isn’t ready, and now… She’s back.

It was fine to see her returning, just to see her jumping around from a far. If they ever encounter each other, it would hurt to leave, but it will do. He would leave without a word, as they remain stranger. He would let the time to take control, for the broken pieces to be healed, and for them to get back together. He would let the time build they relationship back. Knowing she has returned and they remain stranger would hurt, but maybe not to this extent.

What hurt him the most was the phone call. He heard it all, because she looked too much like Jieun – she is indeed Lee Ji Eun – he decided to eavesdrop much to his unpleasant feeling. And it wasn’t a bad decision, although it hurts, it better than being blind and stupid, knowing nothing at all. He might get hurt even more, because by then he would have let himself fall all over her again, only to be broken

The phone call is indeed from a man. He could hear him; he has deeper voice compared to Myungsoo. He’s rather manly and seemingly cool, judging from his voice. Suddenly, Myungsoo felt as if he didn’t deserve the title man. It feels like he’s nothing compared to that man. He just loses all of his confidence, in a blink of an eye.

The caller seems to be caring. He cares a lot about Jieun and Jieun seems to care a lot about him. She cooks for him, that’s all that matter. She rarely cooks for stranger, even he rarely taste her dishes. They asked for each other condition, worrying over each other health, and also taking care of each other. They show lots of action through words and actions, as if they’ve been together for quite some time. They may have been engaged.

And the thing that hurt him the most was her satisfied smile. She looked so happy after the phone call, staring at the phone as if it’s some kind of gold. She seems to be happy after receiving it. He wonders why he hasn’t managed to make her that happy in the old days. It made him wonder if he’s lacking that much.

Her smile disappears when her gaze darted to him. It didn’t turn to a frown but a poker face. She didn’t smile nor frown, pain reflected from her expression. Yes, she’s very shocked, just like how his heart stops beating out of the blue. Hello there, we meet again.

***

“Unnie!!” It was Pil Suk who suddenly breaks the thrilling silence.

She has caught a glimpse of her sister, Lee Ji Eun. She has been missing her with all her soul, that one sister that suddenly left her with a simple goodbye, without a warning. She rarely come in contact with her, since that sister decided to change all of her contacts number, email address, and all of it. She could talk to her, if Jieun ever decided to call her. That’s all and lately, Jieun has been too busy to do it. She rarely called her and Pil Suk misses her a lot.

It wasn’t her first time, wishing that Jieun would return and each time they talk, she would beg for her return. Jieun has been refusing for what feels like ages, with various reasons, from school, finance, to nonsense. Pil Suk could actually understand her true reason, she wanted to adjust a bit more, she wanted to enjoy the moments a bit more before returning to Korea and stop running away from reality. Pil Suk wonders… when did she turn that mature to understand Jieun?

She was indeed surprised, to catch her sister figure at school. She didn’t know her wish would come true this year, today, on a very special day. She didn’t know her sister would return, she doubted she would ever return. She was extremely happy, forgetting all the pressures and situation. The moment she catches Jieun’s figure, she ran to her, barging her like mad, and pulled her to a hug. Her tears just stormed down without any warning.

What she did breaks the silence. Jieun was bewildered and shocked, she stumble backwards when Pil Suk ran to her and bump their body together. Jieun take her eyes off Myungsoo, and soon the chaos started. Pil Suk was sobbing, hugging her tightly, and putting extra force on the hugs that Jieun almost get squashed by it. The INFINITE started to yell back and forth, together with Jiyeon as Jieun started to stumble.

“Unnie! Unnie! Why don’t you tell me? I miss you a lot. Unnie! Don’t go! Unnie-ah, Jieun unnie!” She sobbed.

“Pil Suk! Pil Sukkie! Pil Suk! Dongsaeng~!” the seven of them sang, one after another.

“Unnie! Unnie!” Her hugs push Jieun backward that she stumbles backward.

“Pil Suk! The high-heels!” the seven of them yelled in unison.

It was Kim Myungsoo, her savior. It must be his instinct that has been taking over his body. Before her managed to hit the ground hard, he shoves Suzy off him and walked to her. In one single movement, he pulled Jieun’s hand, her milky white and soft skin finally comes in contact with his. His heart jumps around, but now he wanted to protect her. The instinct, it still existed. He gently pulled her hand and let her stood nicely by his side, he didn’t let go of her hand, they were so close – they almost hugs.

“Gosh, unnie! I’m so sorry! I- I…”

“N- No. No, it’s fine.” Jieun stutters, her face was facing his chest, and her hands inside his grasp.

It’s too cliché to be real life, but well, it happen. She didn’t live in somewhat dramas, melodramas, fairy tale, or wherever the place is called – where happy endings existed. She didn’t live in such a place but in reality where everything is bitter – at least she thought so. But now, she’s inside his embrace, her petite hand inside his grasp, and truly she can’t believe it at all.

The gap was too close and her heart was jumping around without her who’s supposed to be able to control its beat. She hates it, how it just jumps around inside her chest, how her chest suddenly turn heavy. She was heating up, her hand inside his grasp somehow felt perfect. Her petite body wrapped inside his arms, seems to feel secure and safe. She misses him and now… it’s feeling uncomfortable. Somehow, it feels weird. Her left hand on his chest, she can’t feel anything except her own enormous heartbeat. She fears he might hear it out, her loud heart beat. Her nose, too, it could smell his scent. The scent she misses the most.

She let her gazes fall to the ground, looking down. She wasn’t daring enough to look up and meet his gaze. Her heart might skip beautiful beats by then and it will be too late to turn back. She didn’t want to look up, she didn’t want to see his features, and she didn’t want to drown herself inside his dark orbs. As much as her heart wanted it, her brain keeps on refusing with all its will. Right now, she can’t even think properly. She wanted to let go, yet wanting to stay.

***

Myungsoo was scared, more than anything else in the world. Seeing her safe inside his embrace was somehow painful. She’s safe, she didn’t get hurt because of those stupid heels, yet he didn’t feel happy at all. He fails to feel contented. She’s in his embrace, yet something is lacking. The real feeling behind the embrace was lacking. They could no longer tell each other thoughts like the old days, they have changed.

He was looking down, watching her features. It felt so perfect, her inside his embrace. Her petite figure seems to be made to fit his embrace perfectly. She was warm and it made him feel alright, despite the anxiety that keeps engulfing him. Her hand inside his grasp, it is what he ever wished for. Her small hands fit his grip perfectly, no flaw could be found between the two, except the fact that their heart wasn’t made for each other.

His heart was jumping around, his ears was turning red. Her hand on his chest make it feels lighter yet somehow scary. Will she heard his heartbeat, did she feel it? Just like the way he confessed, he wanted her to hear his heart beat, yet a part of him refuses to do so. His heart and brain, aren’t in sync, they’re in agony. It left him confused. And now, they’re so close that he could smell her faint scent of fresh peach. The scent he misses the most, as if she hasn’t changed the slightest bit.

He should’ve let go, loosening his embrace, and letting her go get some space. He should’ve let go of her the moment she managed to regain her balance. But now, he just can’t. Instead of loosening, his arms was slowly wrapped around her waist, hugging her closer and closer, tighter and tighter, as if there’s no tomorrow. He wanted her to look up and meet his eyes, yet she’s refusing to do so. He truly wanted to capture her lips.

The INFINITE just turn tense, even Pil Suk stayed silent watching how the two finally come so close. They were actually surprised when Myungsoo suddenly grab her and pulled her to a hug. Their eyes just widen like they would pop up soon. And again, the silence was thrilling as the atmosphere started to get lack of air, and ended up being hard to breathe. They were all suffocating, worrying over the two and their relationship.

….

….

“Could you please let go?” Jieun eventually speaks up.

He should have, but he didn’t want to. But now that she asked him to let go, he has lost the right to keep her inside his embrace. It wasn’t the old days, when he has every reason to hug her even longer. He let go and every time he let go, he regretted it. Something inside him suddenly felt hollow, empty, and dark. She still own that particular spot, something even Suzy can’t steal away.

Jieun took a step back, as she turn her back against him. She fakes a smile, as her approach the bewildered Pil Suk. She patted her head, just like how a sister would do. Her love for her has yet to decrease even after two long years. The sibling’s love, their warm love that has been lacking of affectionate action could finally be seen. Pil Suk hugs her sister back, sobbing. She keeps whining about Jieun, who rarely called her and never comeback for two years.

“I miss you, too. You grow up, you got prettier. I’m so proud to be your sister.”

“Unnie, you’re not leaving again, are you?”

“I will stay, not for long. But I’ll promise we’ll do whatever you wanted to do.”

“Unnie, I didn’t want you to leave.”

“Uhh, Pil Suk. I’m sorry, I have a phone call.” Again, the moments were broken apart by the phone call.

***

Myungsoo decided to follow Jieun, an attempt to eavesdrop her conversation. Jieun hurriedly excuses herself just now and dashes off somewhere, as if her phone call is a secret and she would like to get some space. She deserves that space and privacy, but today Myungsoo won’t be giving any space for her. He would like to know, even it means by crossing the line.

It clear, to him, how the caller would be her new boyfriend. He’s sure she’s got a new boyfriend. A beautiful girl like her could get hook up with any other boy in a blink of an eye. She may not be that type of girls, but still, he’s sure she’s got another boyfriend to replace him. She hasn’t changed, not for the slightest bit; she just dashed to the backyard, just like the old days. But honestly, does she change? Or does she not?

Myungsoo take a good look at her figures and features, her traits, comparing it to the old Jieun he used to know. Indeed, people changed, even she changed. It was a little insignificant changes, happens inside her. The way she dressed, she never wears high heels before, yet now she’s wearing once. She took a great care of her appearance, unlike the old days. She’s a light make-up on, unlike the old days when she loved to appear bare faced.

The way she talked too, has changed. Her tone is still that much soft, friendly, and angelic-like. However, she was being too friendly, she’s being easy-going. She doesn’t build that barrier, something people could feel when they’re around her. She has broken down that barrier, letting herself to open up a bit more to the world. She has gain much more confidence by years, maybe being onboard has changed that personality of her.

“I told you, I’ve landed safely in Korea. You don’t have to worry. Now get up and go to work, you’re going to be late!”

“Okay, okay. You could just search it inside my room; we used to put it there right? Don’t forget to eat your breakfast, and stop lazing around.”

“No! You’re silly. Set you’re alarm clock, although I’ve set it, but just rechecked it. I’ll call you at night, when you’re about to have dinner, okay? Take care.”

Again, that satisfied smile was hurting him a lot. She ended the phone call after another half an hour. Myungsoo was listening to every bit of it and he realizes they may have even been married! What’s with the room, the word we, the dinner, the breakfast, the alarm clock, the work, the cooking, the take care… he doesn’t like it at all. She cares about him too much. He wonders why she hasn’t been that much caring toward him.

He cleared his throat, slowly approaching her. Sure, she has been noticing her presence ever since he started to follow her around. They may have grown apart but that doesn’t mean she has lost her ability to sense him. He’s the person she loved after all; she can’t lose it even after years. His scent still lingers in her cute nose, as it gets stronger as he approaches her slowly.

Stranger.

She looked up to meet his eyes, only to find another chain of thrilling silence. No word escapes their lips, only long stares to each other eyes. He walks closer and closer, closing the distance. He was thinking about something, his thoughts wondering around, wondering about things he should say and shouldn’t say. They don’t know that much about each other, not anymore. The only thing they could feel was each other presence, a person presence never changed after all.

“Hi, I’m Kim Myungsoo.” His lips suddenly spill out unnecessary introduction as the word stranger keeps on spinning around his head.

“Hi, I’m Lee Ji Eun.” She shook his hand, knowing the true meaning behind it. He’s acknowledging it, how the two are only stranger.

“So… who is he?” Myungsoo mustered up his courage to ask the question.

“We’re just strangers, aren’t we?” Jieun replied, keeping her distant as her words has hurt him.

“True.”

“Suzy… where’s she? I heard she’s happy when I left. How’s your relationship with her?”

“We’re just strangers, aren’t we? No need to in.” Myungsoo coldly replied, in attempt to hurt her even more.

“True, I guess.” She bit her lips.

“You haven’t changed at all, Jieun. In the span of two years, you haven’t changes at all. You only grows prettier, your hair grows longer, you grows taller. That’s all, nothing really changes about you.”

“Do we… even know each other? For you to say something like that… People do change.”

“But not you.”

“When did we become such a thing?”

“Did the word we still existed? Because the word us has come to extinction a long time ago.”

“I guess not. The two word extinct together.”

“Could we rebuild them?”

“As strangers? I don’t know who you are and you… don’t know who I am. We’re just strangers.”

“Hey, because I’m a stranger, why don’t I show you around? Count me as a kind one and I’ll show you around. I bet you haven’t had the chance to stroll around and take a walk.”

“I don’t mind.”

“But that man…”

“Strangers.”

He remains silent, as she tried to keep her distant. Both of them, they’re hurting one another to prevent themselves from getting hurt. They would hate to suffer the pain, the hurting feelings that have been engulfing them for ages that took years to heal. The scars were still freshly written inside their hearts, and now, they’re hurting one another to prevent the scars from reopening. Yet the medicine of it would only be found, once the scars reopened and bleed.

We’re just strangers, aren’t we?

You have changed and I have changed, we no longer know each other.


Author Note

Hello, there. I think this is a bit draggy and boring but well I made it to be slow. I'm being gloomy these days that angst fit me better, but I can't write my others stories except this one. So, well, hope you will feel contented with this chapter, as it will be quite sometime before I updated again. I'll be working on my other stories for a while. I wrote too much kekeke.. Comments and subscribe! Thank you!