16

Backstage Couple

Lee Ji Eun returns is something Myungsoo has been waiting for ages. He wasn’t a beginner, not anymore. Vocal training and not to mention, the dance training have been hard. They have to attend acting lessons twice a week and attend college almost every evening. Myungsoo was attending college all over again, Seoul Academy of Music and Arts.

It wasn’t a leisure day, but a rater busy one. Myungsoo hasn’t had a break since the sun rises in the morning. Even until now, he was still busy memorizing the lines for tomorrow’s play. Another part of him was waiting for her to drop by and visit, yet it has been days since her return and she hasn’t even called him.

They had a lot of things to tell and explain. He has to explain his own reason for breaking his promise – leaving her calls unanswered and her texts that he rarely replied. She, too, needs to explain why she didn’t call him every day, rarely texting him, and not even returning for the past 12 months. But maybe the two of them only needed one thing, each other presence. Myungsoo would like to take her out on a date.

As a rusty old house, it didn’t have a bell but countless knocks on the door always bothers him. It was late at night, when the knock bothers him and Myungsoo was the only one who’s awake. And there she was, shining brightly as always.

Jieun gasped, when he wrapped both his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. He was squeezing her without saying a thing. His lips curve up to a smile as she melts in his arm. He rested his chin against her shoulder, inhaling her scent. She squeezes her body closer to his, resting her head against his warm chest.

“What’s taking you so long?”

“Work… I guess.”

“Hey, Jieun… I’m…”

“Do you think you need to explain those things? I’m not that kind of girl.”

“You really are the best.”

“Why don’t you take me on a night date?”

“A date? I forgot you owe me more than 20 dates. A kiss would pay half of them, though.” He leans closer.

“You wish.”

***

They were sharing the same coat, spreading it wide to cover both their bodies. It was cold and they were enjoying the scenery. They were walking up a hill after a fifteen minutes ride using the subway. The scenery was beautiful, watching the city glimmers in lights. They both settled on a wide grass field, with the sound of flowing river accompanying them.

“Have I turned too much? I think I miss you so much.”

“You are too much.”

“Since when did I turn this much? I should stop hanging around you 24/7.”

“Nah, you should. The cold looking Kim Myungsoo is all better than a dork.”

“Meanie Jieun turns meanier.”

“Myungsoo, remember when you told me you wanted to sing with me on stage?”

“Yeah, I wish I could… I mean… we could… someday.”

“I’m signing up.”

***

Happy news seems to spread rather fast, the whole INFINITE has acknowledged the fact that Lee ji Eun has signed up to be a trainee in another company. It is a pity though; they weren’t in the same company. It would be rare to see each other and their dorms are miles apart. Jieun would be leaving in a month, before becoming a trainee in another company. Honestly, she was killing some time as she wanted to take a short break from the fashion industry. In a year or two, she’d quit.

The INFINITE, in the other hand, has had their own schedules to attend some shows to gain popularity. Some will be on advertisement and some as models. Some were offered small roles on small screens and MVs while others will be busy being background dancer. Slowly, they were given less freedom as their debut date slowly comes near. It hasn’t been set yet, but their CEO has made sure it won’t be that much longer.

Kim Myungsoo, who has been set as the face of the group, would start appearing in MVs and television. There are times when you’d find him in the magazines, being models for some brand. The cute little maknae would be appearing in small screen too, taking offers for advertisement. And among all, Nam Woohyun has hit the jackpot that made the INFINITE stares in envy at him. He would be working as a model with Lee Ji Eun for the next few months.

It was the first morning, when all of them would be busy doing their business. Hoya and Dongwoo have left early for preparation and rehearsal, while others were busy doing their own preparation. Woohyun were being leisure, as usual, knowing working with his best friend has given him quite some advantage, while Kim Myungsoo was busy remembering his line and going through his acting lessons. It was once, when Woohyun caught the younger boy glaring at him.

Woohyun could only chuckles, seeing how Myungsoo being so obsessed. He was glaring at him ever since he realizes Woohyun would be the one working with Jieun. He has given him countless warning that soon he shrugged off and ignores all of them. He found it pointless to take his warning seriously. He was a stubborn guy after all.

***

“Good work everyone!” Woohyun cheerfully exclaimed, as his photo shoot ended nicely.

Jieun chuckled, seeing how her best friend has yet to grow up over the past few years; instead he had become even more childish. It was a long and tiring day, but it was fun. Jieun managed to enjoy her first photo shoot back in Korea, and having Woohyun as a male model was nice. After all, working with a friend is a nicest thing one could ever feel.

The staffs were tidying their stuff, and Jieun too was busy setting things right after the photo shoot. She needs to discuss things with the editor afterwards, not to mention she needs to attend another meeting for it. She will be taking a break from the fashion industry soon, and no one has known about it. It’s going to be a big issue later on, to lose someone like her.

“Lee Ji Eun, don’t you think you’re being too soft on me? Just because I’m a rookie, doesn’t mean you should look down on me.” Woohyun pouted, as they both exited the studio.

“You want me to go harsher on you?”

“Yeah, you’re being too kind.”

“Okay then. Nam Woohyun, listen up! Your facial expression was the worst; it looked blank, as if you’re confused. You’re not supposed to look that way; you should be able to fit the theme perfectly! Secondly, you look way to nervous! Thankfully, this photo shoot is something I held, if not, I wonder what will happen to you. And then, you lack the sparks! There was no chemistry at all; I think we will be fine since we’re comfortable with each other, but Nam Woohyun!” Jieun acts as if she was angry.

“I shouldn’t have asked for it.” Woohyun ruffled his hair and sighs, the two then bursts laughing.

“But you did quite well just now. For rookie, you’re excellent. You just need to work on some stuff, and then you’ll be fine.”

“That’s nice. You know, I miss hanging out with you and Jiyeon too. You’re always taken by Myungsoo. Even this morning he was being grumpy because I hit the jackpot. He has to act for some MVs today.”

“The grumpy old man, I never know he could be that much obsessed.” Jieun giggled.

“Are you hungry? My stomach needs some food.”

“Sure. What do you want to eat? It’s my treat today.”

***

It was a tiring day for the INFINITE. Hoya and Dongwoo were both exhausted after dancing all day long. Sungjong was tired after filming some advertisement, not to mention he had done some embarrassing mistakes. Sunggyu was tired too, he has done a vocal training all day long. And Kim Myungsoo was badly worn-out, shooting MVs was quite nice, but appearing on broadcast station has become troublesome. His head feel as if it was about to explode, there were lots of camera and he found it scary. His heart was still thumping so badly, he was nervous. All of them collapse on the couch, and some chooses to lay on the floor since there was no empty space left.

Nam Woohyun was the only person who had yet returned, although it was late already. Myungsoo was slightly worried about it, since he knows Woohyun must be hanging out with Jieun after the shoot. It was half past nine, almost ten o’clock, yet he had yet to return. But worrying about Woohyun was something they could think of later; firstly they need to fill their stomach with some food.

“I’m hungry! Sungjong cook some food for me!” Sungyeol yelled, he was exhausted after photo shoot.

“Hyung, why don’t you cook it on your own? I’m tired too!”

“You’re just shooting some advertisement and you’re tired? You must be kidding me! I was dancing all day long!” Hoya whined.

“Someone just do it! Just cook ramyun or cut some food, at least something edible! I don’t care as long as it is edible.” Sunggyu yelled.

“Meanie hyung.” Sunjong was whining, but finally gave up.

The INFINITE were tossing and turning on the floor, searching for something that may heal their worn-out soul. It was their first time, they were nervous and it worn them out. As they were tossing and turning around, the bell rings and the door quickly swung open, and Woohyun cheerfully popped out, causing the INFINITE to frown. How could he be so cheerful when the others are dead tired?

“I’m home!” Again, his cheerful tone was annoying. “And I brought chicken!”

The INFINITE quickly stood up, shooting empty gazes at him. He has three yellow bags with him and the smell of the chicken was so tempting. They were on their diet for over six months know; they need to continue it a bit longer before tasting such a delicacy. But who cares? They’re dead hungry by now and some chicken won’t kill right?

“You’re late! You should’ve come sooner! We’re dead hungry! Now, just give us the chicken.” Sunggyu yelled, lecturing the younger one.

“Uh… I was hanging out with Jieun, she treat me for a dinner. Sorry.” Woohyun rolled his eyes then grinned, slightly guilty.

“Nam Woohyun, I told you not to get close to her! You’re going to get it tonight!” Myungsoo whined.

“Stop being overprotective, Kim Myungsoo!” Jieun giggled, silently popping out, startling the INFINITE.

They all stares at the petite figure, it has been weeks without seeing her. Myungsoo was startled. He wonders if she has gone even skinnier. Even Woohyun small figure could hide her figure well. They weren’t even aware of her presence. She looked tired though, slightly worn-out and Myungsoo know she hasn’t been sleeping well – her eye bags were quite scary. Nevertheless, he was happy to see her again.

“Oh my…. I just tidied this place not too long ago, and look at this mess! Boys are complicated.” She gasped; the place was very messy indeed.

“That’s why you need to come over often. I said it before, it lacks a woman touch.” Woohyun winkled, secretly flirting with her to tease Myungsoo.

“Okay, okay, let’s just eat shall we?” Jieun chuckled, lightly hitting her best friend chest, which made her boyfriend glares at him.

***

“The love birds are missing again,” Sungjong silently murmurs, as he continued to eat.

“How’s the photo shoot?” Myungsoo asked, satisfied that they could have a moment for two.

“It was nice, Woohyun did great too.” Jieun chuckled, knowing he might bursts in jealousy again. “And yours? You look very tired just now.”

“I think I might get a stage fright, you know. Suddenly, going on broadcast seems scary. The cameras seem as if they’re after you, wanting to eat you or something. But the MV turned out very nice.” Myungsoo smiled, ruffling her hair.

“You’ll be okay. You know, you’re the coolest person in the world. What could go wrong?” Jieun poked his cheek.

“Now, can you say that again?”

“Tsk, such a masochist.” Jieun rolled her eyes.

“I miss you,”

“I miss you, too.”

He took her hand, holding her small hands with fingers interlaced. It was a leisure stroll along the night sky. It was pitch black though, with a single moon hanging up high. It made Jieun wonders if it’s lonely. It reminds her of the starry night sky the two used to share back in the old days. Suddenly, she missed those days a lot. They rarely have time for each other.

No one talks, just the pure silence yet with the soft feeling of romance up in the air. She wonders how long could this continue, or if it would ends shortly. The thoughts seem scary that she has to shake her head multiples time, getting it out of her head. She was being pessimistic today, and truthfully it was bad enough. She easily got depressed these days.

“You’re being too quiet.” Myungsoo slips her hands to his jacket, her fingers were freezing cold.

“I’m always quiet. You’re being quiet too.” Jieun leans closer to him, trying to feel his presence she had longed for.

“I don’t know what to say.”

“Neither do I.”

It was a nice atmosphere, a lovely one indeed. But the two are being slightly careful. It was too comfortable and too nice, that it slightly scared the two. It was when the two decided to silently wish upon something rather naïve and impossible – for time to stops.

Who knows how much longer they could be together, somehow it was breaking apart.

 


Author Note

Hello, there! It has been a long time, hasn't it? It's been too long since I last updated this story. Honestly, I was losing it. I'm trying to search for things that may inspired me, but rather than inspiring me to continue wiriting this, it inspired me to write another story. It's been too long that I have forgotten some of the plots, but managed to capture the main point. The little details that I have neglected, please bear for it a little longer. I wrote half of this chapter two months ago and the other half just this morning, it may not fit well so I'm sorry. I feel bad for not updating nicely. Yet despite being unable to update it for so long, I found my subbies almost piercing through the number 100. I'm very happy and thankful about it. Umm, tell me what you think! Thank you.