Far Away

In Another Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Two

 

Four years ago...

 

Eunji and Baekhyun have been dating for three years already. How did a simple medical student met a promising idol trainee? It is through her sunbae in the medical school, Xi Luhan, who is Baekhyun’s childhood friend. They met when Eunji five months after she broke up with her cheating boyfriend.

 

It has been three months since Byun Baekhyun, Eunji’s fiancé, left for his world tour after releasing his album entitled “What is Love?” Baekhyun is a famous idol under SM Entertainment who debuted two years ago. From the moment he released his first single and music video, his popularity went skyrocket worldwide making him the most promising rookie of the year. So it’s not surprising that he would be on a world tour. Eunji is proud that tickets to his concerts are sold out in less than 30 seconds, at the same this made her lonely because she won’t be able to meet him for a long time.

 

Just like a normal day since Baekhyun left, Eunji and Baekhyun’s friends take turns on who will be with her during the days she’s not in the hospital for her internship. It was Baekhyun’s idea to make their friends spend their time with Eunji everytime he’s out on tour or when he’s busy to avoid making her lonely. Today, it is Sehun’s turn to spend his time with her. Usually, he likes spending time with his bestfriend, but Baekhyun’s long absence made him resent being with her because she’s often grumpy, which resulted in her ordering him around or always hitting him or sometimes she’ll just cry. Her mood swings is torturous for him. At the same time, he could not just leave her alone because she is like a little sister to him.

 

“Eunji-ah, what’s taking you so long in the bathroom?” Sehun shouted from the kitchen, he is cleaning the dishes after their breakfast. When she did not respond, he walked towards the bathroom and saw Eunji pale and vomiting.

 

“Hey, are you okay? Uh, was my food tasted that bad that you actually have to vomit?” Sehun awkwardly asked, feeling bad that he cooked instead of eating out or ordering for food. Most of the time, he is quite proud of his cooking skills because that has always been his passion, but today is an exemption. He knew that his taste buds are not on their best condition because he has a cold.

 

Eunji shook her head and looked at him after she flushed the toilet.

 

“It’s good, as always, Sehunnie. It’s just… recently I am having morning sickness.” She said and sighed, a worried look is in her face as she uttered those words. She left the bathroom and went to the living room to have a seat, while Sehun went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. For a couple of minutes, nobody dared to talk. Eunji is feeling nervous because her morning sickness has been going on for weeks already. Sehun doesn’t know how to react.

 

Morning sickness?

 

Sehun is trying to remain calm. She is not possibly pregnant, right? After all, her boyfriend left three months ago and will not be back for six months. He looked at her to check her tummy; there is no baby bump either. So…why?

 

"Did you do it with him before he left?” Sehun broke the silence and asked her. Blood rushed to her whole face and ears. Eunji looked like an innocent girl who was shown a video for the first time. Sehun raised an eyebrow at her expression and she slowly looked at him.

 

“OH SEHUN!!! Pabo! Pabo! I know that we’re bestfriends and sometimes we talk about those things, but this is embarrassing!” Her reaction is enough for Sehun to know the answer.  He did not say anything and just nodded his head in understanding. He turned the TV on. After a few seconds, she started to hit Sehun with throw people and giggling, probably remembering how she and Baekhyun spent their last night together before he left.

 

“Yah! Why do you have to get so violent?” Sehun asked her, at the same time, defended himself from her attacks. That went on for ten minutes until she got tired hitting him. Sehun shook his head, well at least, she’s not being grumpy.

 

They spent twenty minutes in peace while watching her favourite movie Genius Babies. Suddenly, Eunji started pulling the sleeves of Sehun’s shirt.

 

“For Pete’s sake, Eunji-ah, would you let me watch in peace?!” He growled and turned to her. He immediately regretted shouting at her, when he saw tears in her eyes. Worry immediately spread to his face, and he hugged her.

 

"Sehunnie, what if I'm pregnant? It’s been three months since I last have my period." She muttered. Her voice is laced with fear and uncertainty. Having a baby is not yet in her plans, she is still young. She’s not even a doctor, yet. And Baekhyun, he’s a rising star, a baby would probably ruin his career.

 

"I don't know." he said nonchalantly, with his usual stoic expression, but deep inside, he is worried. He knows that Eunji and Baekhyun's relationship is a secret, and he doesn't know what will happen to his best friend if the public found out about their relationship, or worse, if she's pregnant. He doesn't even trust Baekhyun yet. In his eyes, Baekhyun is an immature guy who is not man enough to show Eunji to the world. He detests him for making their relationship a secret, his bestfriend does not deserved to be hidden. She deserves to be showed off.

 

The two of them remained silent. Eunji was crying her eyes out. She is not ready for this kind of life, but most of all, she was crying because of the fear that Baekhyun might leave her if her speculations were true. It’s not just she thinks that Baekhyun is that kind of guy who would leave after knocking her out, but they are still so young, and she’s not yet prepared to be a mother.

 

"OH SEHUN!" Eunji shouted, which woke Sehun up from his thought. He looked away from her because he cannot take it to see her sad and unsecured. Since they were kids, he had always protected her from people who hurt her. He remembered in highschool, he beat up her suitor when he found out that the guy was courting her to get back to him (because the guy’s girlfriend was his current buddy that time). He also beat up her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her and he used his connections to make sure that the girl who her ex was screwing would never get a job in South Korea and Japan.

 

"What?" Sehun replied and sighed. He doesn’t know what to do. If ever she’s really pregnant, would her immature boyfriend take responsibility?

 

"Buy me a pregnancy test kit." She said after wiping her tears. She smiled slightly, probably acting strong to avoid making Sehun worried.

 

"No." Sehun answered looking at his bestfriend incredulously. Who on their right mind would make a handsome and single guy buy a pregnancy kit? Certainly not him, no matter how much he loves her (like a sister), he would never do it.

 

"Pretty please, for your beloved little sister." she said doing the buing buing gesture. He sighed in defeat and stood up, muttering incoherent words in the process. Words like how stupid and unfair this is, and he is a handsome single man! 

 

"And chocolate mint flavoured ice cream too! Be back in 10 minutes, ‘kay?" she shouted before returning her attention to the movie, while he absentmindedly nodded. Not really hearing the ice cream part.

 

 

Two hours after..

 

The apartment door opened, revealing two handsome guys who are both obviously happy, but the girl on the other side was far from amused at them. She has been waiting for Sehun for a long time, how long does it take to buy a single pregnancy kit and ice cream in the mart?

Sehun looked at her with his usual face, while Luhan smiled at her. The two of them met in the elevator because Luhan was about to visit them to make sure that Eunji is not killing Sehun. They were shocked when they saw her looking at them irritably, with her eyebrows raised and her arms crossed. Luhan looked confused at her expression, while Sehun gulped knowing that she is annoyed because it took him quite a while.

 

"Eunji-ah, Luhan oppa brought your favourite chocolate bubble milk tea.” Luhan said charmingly and gave her the plastic cup of bubble tea, but Eunji just stared at the cup.

 

"Where is my ice cream?" Eunji asked and raised her eyebrow. Luhan laughed nervously and nudged Sehun, but he just looked at him and walked past the irritated girl.

 

"I'll buy your ice cream Eunji-ah." Luhan offered because he does not want to further annoy her. Eunji immediately lighted up with what he said and told her that she wants a chocolate mint ice cream and a box of chocopie.  Luhan laughed at how fast her mood can change and patted her head.

 

“Oppa will be back, Eunji-ah. Be good to Sehun and drink your bubble tea.” Luhan said before leaving and she nodded her head obediently. This is the reason why she is really fond of Luhan, he always does the things she like and buy her the foods she wants, unlike Sehun who often ignores her cravings.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter