Chapter 8 - That Pain, That Answer

Dreamscape

 

At the sight of the unfamiliar girl, Nara felt something uncanny, her heart started to beat fast, she was nervous for no reason at all; it was woman’s intuition, I say. She eyed the girl from head to toe, she had long brown hair, her face was bright, and she was smiling warmly at her. She was dressed in a very simple fashion, it was simple, but it was elegant. Nara was thinking so hard about the girl’s identity; in her mind she tried hard to avoid thinking about the worst case scenario, but unfortunately, it had the opposite effect.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Bae Suzy imnida.” said the girl with a warm smile as she bowed back. But Nara was still in her own little Think-tank; she showed no response. “Yah, Kwon Ttochi, aren’t you going to introduce yourself?” Myungsoo said in a casual tone. “A-Ahh, I-I’m sorry. Kwon Nara imnida.” Nara replied in an unstable tone as she bowed back awkwardly. “Ttochi, she’s my girlfiend. Be good to her, okay?” Myungsoo added. “W-What?” Nara blurted in shock. “Yah, you still can’t hear things clearly? She’s my GIRLFRIEND.” Myungsoo replied with emphasis. It’s not that Nara didn’t hear what he said, it’s just that she can’t accept it, that she wished it was one of her auditory hallucinations; but apparently it’s not. It was the worst case scenario, it was what her intuition was telling her – she was not prepared for this.

“She’s the one I told you about, Ara’s childhood friend, my other little sister.” Myungsoo said to Suzy as he gestured towards Nara. This last sentence did the last push, and the words “little sister” echoed all over Nara’s being – it was coup de grâce.

Nara’s world collapsed; it was as if Zeus hurled his mighty lightning bolts to destroy all earth, as if Poseidon’s tidal waves and earthquakes devoured and trashed everything, as if Hades took and relished every single living soul, as if Atlas finally let go of the globe.

Ara was at the sidelines while all of this was happening. She felt sorry for Nara, for she knew Nara’s feelings for her oppa. Guilt was building up inside her, she wanted to hug her friend tight to relieve her from this misery, but she can’t move, no, she mustn’t; as she saw how hard Nara tried to hide her feelings from Myungsoo, she felt that this was Nara’s own battle. But still, she was feeling sorry more than ever, not that she was to blame, for she didn't know this would happen.

At that time, Nara felt a sharp throbbing pain on her chest and that she was now on the verge of tears. She mustered all her might and gathered her senses hastily. “Wow! Congratulations! And welcome back oppa! I’d love to stay for a while and chat, but I have school stuff to attend to. Ara, see you tomorrow. Goodbye Suzy unnie and Myungsoo oppa.” all this she said in without blinking. She bowed a deep bow and rushed outside without looking back, tears now flowing down from her precious eyes.

Moments later, she was at the swing by the park, her face buried in her hand; she was now sobbing furiously. “You were always just a little sister. He never saw you more than that. It was you who kept expecting when you’re not supposed to. You silly girl, it was you who threw yourself into the abyss of despair.” This was her thoughts as she continued to weep her wits out.

Nara felt a sudden tap on her shoulders and she cautiously looked up to see who it was. To her surprise, it was Myungsoo; if he’s the person Nara needed the most or least, only she can tell. “Why are you here? Why are you crying?” Myungsoo questioned the damsel in distress with a worried face. “A-Ah, as I was walking, something got in my eye” she replied while forcefully halting her sobs. “So, getting something on your eye, makes you sob that much, eh?” Myungsoo said as he reached in his pocket for his handkerchief and handed it to Nara. The girl took it and bowed her head in gratitude. “More importantly, why are you here?” Nara said as she looked to the ground, still unable to look at Myungsoo. “Well, I chased after a silly girl that said she was going to do some school stuff to tell her that she’s dressed too well to do those.” Myungsoo coolly stated with a soft chuckle. “How did you find me?” Nara added. “It was gut feel, to be honest.” Myungsoo replied shortly. Myungsoo sat at the other swing before an air of silence filled the park for minutes without any of them voicing out.

“I’m sorry, Nara.” Myungsoo mumbled almost as soft as a whisper. “S-Sorry for what?” Nara faced him and asked in confusion. “I know everything. I know your feelings.” he replied as he turned his head and looked into Nara’s eyes. “Did Ara tell you?” Nara asked. “No, I figured it out myself.” he answered. “How long have you known?” she added. “A long time” Myungsoo replied. Nara broke eye contact and stared at the scenery in front of her. “So, you’ve known all this time. I’m such a fool.” she stated as she smiled and laughed at her own silliness.

“Aren’t you happy for me?” Myungsoo asked out of the blue. The question caught Nara off guard. It was a question that she herself doesn’t know the answer. All that she wanted was Myungsoo’s happiness, and right now, she knows that he is happy. This was something to celebrate, yet here she is, weeping her eyes dry. Maybe, because she wanted to be the one to bring Myungsoo happiness, but at that time, she realized that it was nothing but a delusion; it was too much too ask. Yes, she should be contented as long as he is happy; it was what mattered most.

Tears started rolling down from her eyes once more, she turned her head to look at the man across her, and with all her effort she was able to smile and say the words:

“I am”