Chapter 10 - That Feeling, That Change

Dreamscape

 

Yoonjo gasped in surprise as a pair of arms held her from behind; it was warm and comforting. She turned around to take a peek, and to her surprise she saw Yooyoung. “Y-Yeobo… Why are you here?” she asked with a shaky voice. “Unnie… You don’t have to hide it from me. I know about it. I know everything…” Yooyoung replied. She was still dazed because of the image that she saw; she didn’t fully understand what the younger girl meant. “I know that you like Lime unnie – more than just a friend.” Yooyoung said, she was still panting from the chasedown that she did. Yoonjo was taken aback by Yooyoung’s last sentence: “W-What? Was I too obvious? Does that mean that Lime also knows?” she asked, and Yooyoung replied by shaking his head from left to right.

“How did you know?” her usual curiosity now kicking in. “I was always watching you.” Yooyoung replied, her cheeks flushing red as she did, it was the only answer she can give and she was hoping that it would not blow her cover. Suddenly, Yoonjo lunged forward, put her head on Yooyoung’s chest and started crying furiously. The younger girl didn’t know what to do, but she embraced Yoonjo as tight as she could – on impulse.

It was an extraordinary day for all the girls, but just like any other day; it would come to an end – no matter how special it was.

Lime woke up with a smile brighter than morning Sun. She immediately stood up and did her daily routine: stretching, tending her bed, and getting ready for school. At the breakfast table, Yooyoung noticed the smirk on Lime’s face. On their way too school, Yooyoung decided to ask: “Unnie, do you like Ara sunbae-nim?”. “W-What? What nonsense are you talking about?” she replied, she was surprised by the sudden question. “You’re smiling so brightly, I’ve never seen that smile before, unnie. Is it because of her?” with a stern voice, Yooyoung continued to interrogate her older sister. “How can it be because of her? Don’t be silly! I just had a good night’s sleep!” she barely answered. “I saw you two yesterday… In your room…” Yooyoung mumbled under her voice so that it may be heard only between the two of them. Lime’s heart started beating faster and her cheeks flushed red as she said: “I don’t know…”

Meanwhile Ara and Alice were side by side, walking their way to school. They made their way past the Main gate, through the lobby, up the stairs and finally to the Student Council Room. Ara wanted to check up on Nara after what had happened yesterday, and since she was always the earliest person in the school; this place was their best bet.

They stopped in front of the room door and Ara placed her hand on the doorknob; her heart’s beating getting louder. She gasped for air before finally turning the knob and pushed the door apart. Moments of blindness loomed the two girls caused by the radiance of the Sun coming right through the huge windows of the room. A figure was sitting at the center chair of the room. And as Alice dashed to the windows and pulled down the curtains, the figure became clearer; she had long deep-brown Mahogany hair, a pair of slender arms was evident, her lips were perfectly pursed, and behind the rimmed glasses, a pair of tantalizing eyes can be seen – it was Nara.

“Yah! Kwon Ttochi! Why did you leave the curtains up! Aigoo. My eyes hurt!” blurted Alice in frustration. “Song Joohee, if you have any concern, complains or problem, get a form from the shelf beside the door, fill it up, and leave it table at the center of the room. I’ll take care of it later; I’m working on some papers right now, if you can see.” Nara stated in a cold yet calm way. Ara gave out a weak smile; she was relieved, it was the good old Nara – good old workaholic Nara. “AHH! JINJJA! I’m going crazy!” blurted Alice, before Ara walked between them and shoved her to the couch. “Joohee-yah, Nara is working right now, maybe we shouldn’t bother her.” Ara stated. Alice turned her head to the side and pouted hard; of course she can’t say anything against Ara though she was flaming Nara in her head.

“Are you okay, Nara-yah?” Ara asked as she faced the center desk. “Of course I am, silly. Why would I be not?” Nara said in a casual tone without blinking through her paperwork. “Nothing in particular, I was just asking” she replied. Ara smiled faintly as the words rang through her ears; she was relieved at the least. She then grabbed Alice by the wrist. “We’ve got a class to catch. See you later Nara!” shouted Ara, after which they stormed out of the room.

In their classroom, Lime was seated in her usual seat she was staring out of the window; she was thinking of what had happened, still unable to believe that it wasn’t a dream. The doors on the back opened – it was Ara, her image as perfect as ever as she elegantly walked straight to her sear. It was the same old story; Lime still awestricken at Ara’s presence, her eyes glued at her figure, and her heart beating at a fast pace the only difference is that now she was able to say: “Good morning, Ara.” with a bright smile as the Ara reached Yoonjo’s seat. As the two ladies were exchanging eye contact, a figure walked in between them that broke the connection that they had. The figure went to the seat in beside Lime. Lime blinked for a moment, she was unsure if it was really Yoonjo; for the person beside her was unwavering, cold and gloomy – the exact opposite of her bestfriend. For the whole morning period, not a single time did Yoonjo utter a word nor glanced at Lime – and she instantly knew something was wrong.

At the ring of the school bell, Yoonjo swiftly stood up and walked out of the room, leaving a puzzled Lime. “Lime” a voice called; it was Ara. “Shall we take our lunch together?” Ara asked with a smile. “A-ah, sure!” Lime replied in a frantic manner as she stood up. “Let’s go to the cafeteria, Yooyoung and Yoonjo are probably there.” she added. That being said, the two went to the cafeteria and saw Yooyoung and Yoonjo eating on one table facing each other. They approached the table and Lime sat beside Yoonjo while Ara sat beside Yooyoung. “Annyeong” Ara greeted the other two with a slight bow of her head. Yooyoung was about to reply but a sudden bang interrupted her; Yoonjo slammed her chopsticks on the table. “I lost my appetite, I’ll be going.” Yoonjo stated coldly as she took her plate without second thoughts and dashed away from the table.

Silence filled the four corners of the table; the three was left speechless. “It’s okay. We all have bad days, don’t we?” Ara said with a smile. The sisters agreed and they started to eat their lunch despite of what just happened.

Not far from their table, a pair of eyes was watching over them. She was unblinking and her stare was steadfast. The pair of eyes belonged to a blonde-haired girl – it was Alice’s.