Chapter 2 - That Girl, That Melody

Dreamscape

 

The long-haired girl stared right at Lime’s eyes for a few seconds that seemed forever. The girl’s lips figured a smile, and her face shone brightly; thanks to the Sun’s natural lighting. Lime felt like she was drowning in a deep sea of emotion; she still hasn’t figured out what it is, but it is surely an overwhelming one. If you were in Lime’s position, I’m sure you’ll have Goosebumps just as Lime did. As the cold morning air struck Lime’s skin, she felt a shiver, and her cheeks flushed red as she forced an awkward smile. “Lime-ah!?” a voice came from behind her and she swiftly turned her head to look – it was Yoonjo. “Yoonjo-yah…” said Lime; her voice weak from the sudden rush of emotions. She then turned her head again to look front, but to her surprise, the girl was no longer there. Yoonjo then approached Lime in a hurry and dragged her by the arm and shuffled towards their room; because they were late, if you know what I mean. On their way, Lime told Yoonjo about what happened earlier, but Yoonjo was a bit skeptical and thought that Lime just hallucinated due to drowsiness. Well, we can’t blame Yoonjo now, can we? Now, that even Lime herself is unsure of the surreal event that took place. Luckily, their teacher still hasn’t arrived. Still dumbfounded, Lime found her way to her own seat and her bestfriend to the seat next to her. She can’t help but look outside the window; where she spaced out for a couple of minutes.

She was still pondering about what happened earlier when the door suddenly opened to reveal their teacher and a student – it was someone that made Lime almost fall from her seat. “Good morning class, today a new student will be joining us; she transferred in today. Introduce yourself.” said loudly by their teacher with a voice that echoed throughout the whole room. “Good morning everyone, my name is Yoo Ara, please take care of me.” said the girl with a deep bow and an angelic voice that lingered for a few moments throughout the room; it was different from the teacher's voice, it was so blissful that it can make even your ears smile, but it echoed longer in Lime’s ears more than anyone else. She remembered the green trees of an unknown forest and a voice that led her to a great tree – it was certainly that girl’s voice. As Lime eyed Ara, short shivers were sent running down her spine; she had round eyes that shined as bright as the Sun, a nose flawlessly proportioned as the mountains of the Earth, cheeks as soft as the clouds and billows of the Sky, lips as perfect as the curves of the Moon, and a smile as deep as the depths of the Sea. It was Venus, she was certain. Then, their eyes met and the girl in front smiled to the other, it was a smile that gave Lime the final push; she felt her whole body shiver which made her involuntarily stand up. Eyes from every direction shot Lime; everyone was puzzled by her action. “Is there anything wrong Ms. Kim?” questioned their teacher. “No… Nothing’s wrong. I’m sorry…” her voice shaky. She sat awkwardly as Yoonjo leaned towards and whispered: “Yah… What’s the matter?’’. Lime didn’t give an answer, leaving a puzzled Yoonjo. “Okay, introductions are over. I hope everyone gets along with Ms. Yoo.” yelled their teacher as she gestured Ara to the empty seat in front of Yoonjo. As the girl walked towards the seat, Lime’s heart pounded heavier and faster, in sync with the sound of girl's footsteps. Lime can’t understand a thing; she needed an explanation, but from whom? – She was a mess.

The first half of the day ended when the school bell rang for lunch break, it felt forever for Lime as she stared at Ara’s image the entire morning. In the school cafeteria, as usual, Lime, Yoonjo and Yooyoung sat together for lunch. Yoonjo can’t contain herself anymore and asked Lime about what happened that morning. Lime told the other girls the truth; that the new transferee was the girl in her dreams. “Are you for real?” Yoonjo asked Lime who nodded her head in response. “How can that be?” Yoonjo said in a half amazed half doubtful way. “Beats me…” Lime answered with a sigh under her breath. As they went back for their afternoon classes, Lime continued what she did earlier for the rest of the day. That day was the most surreal event that happened to Lime – or so she thought.

Months have passed since the start of the school year. Something big happened to Pledis High School that changed every student that attends it. There were three figures that rose up among all others; they were crowned as the “Queens of Pledis”, each symbolizing important virtues and values. One was the president of the Student Council, with her outstanding beauty and tall figure she symbolized power and authority. Another was a rookie idol; her looks were above everyone else, even within the entertainment industry, and with her blonde hair she became the symbol of freedom and liberty. The last one is the top student and a musical genius, I may say that her beauty transcends all others – even her fellow queens, and she was the symbol of serenity and elegance. Their names were written in the history of the school, and everyone looked up to them with admiration and respect. Their names were Nara, Alice, and Ara.

Now, I am in debt of introducing these three to you, dear readers. Well, I’ll start off with Nara; she had always been the Student Council President since she entered high school, because of her wonderful background in middle school. She is also Ara’s childhood friend and neighbor. Alice on the other hand, was a transferee herself just like Ara, they were actually classmates from their former school and are bestfriends. She had just debuted as she entered her senior year which resulted to her late admission. Lastly, Ara, is a musical genius. This was exposed as their subject teacher in music discovered her talent through her lessons; not that she hid it, it’s just that she doesn’t brag about it. But as we are all aware, news spread faster than plagues – especially on high schools. And oh, these three are also the top students of Pledis, with Ara always reigning on top and Alice and Nara with an endless fight for the second and third seats. Well, now you’re getting a gist of how magnificent these three are, eh? And with that we can continue our story.

Let’s go back to our heroine – Lime. These last months were a nightmare for her – for she still hasn’t found the answers to her questions. You see, whenever she gathers up her courage to go and ask Ara about the things puzzling her, whenever she gets near her, their eyes always meet each other and Ara always gives her a smile that stops her from her own tracks. If you only knew how frustrated she was, it had been months since she had that dream, the last time was the night before Ara transferred in; and oh! How that dream haunted her for months!

It was a cold Friday afternoon, when Lime stayed behind at school to run errands for Yoonjo since she was sick. She was ready to go home when she heard the sound of a great piano playing. It was Pachelbel’s Canon that was playing in the air, and her body moved towards the source of the beautiful melody involuntarily. She only snapped out when the music suddenly stopped playing, only to find herself in front of the Music Club’s clubroom; its doors wide open. She could see the great white piano from where she was standing, but as she moved her eyes from the piano to the person behind it, her whole body flinched and she was frozen like ice – it was Ara.

The other girl stopped playing when she noticed Lime standing on the door. She stood up from the piano stool and took a few steps forward towards the door until she was standing parallel to the girl outside. She looked straight into the girl’s flabbergasted eyes and shot her a smile; one that had always stunned the other girl. There was a moment of deafening silence as if the time continuum deliberately stopped for these two figures that stand parallel from each other. The silence was broken by Ara’s soft and angelic voice; from her lips escaped these words:

“Would you like to come in for some tea?”