Chapter 5 - That Friend, That Figure

Dreamscape

 

It was a cold Saturday morning; Alice was on her way to Ara’s just as usual. It had been months since they spent the weekends together due to her busy schedule and Alice surely misses her bestfriend. On her way, she was thinking of buying something for Ara, but she can’t come up with anything. Luckily, she sighted a bakeshop in one corner of the street. “A cake!” she exclaimed in excitement. So, she dropped by, bought a strawberry cake and continued on her way with a smirk painted all over face. Minutes later, she arrived at Ara’s doorstep and rang the doorbell; Ara’s house was like a projection of her own image, its beauty was unlike any other and it stood all over the other houses nearby, its elegance painted in white.

“Oh! Joohee-yah, it’s you. Come in!” Ara said as she opened the gate and saw her bestfriend. Joohee is Alice’s real name, well; she needed a stage name as she was debuting; so her agency came up with the stage name “Alice”. The girls went inside the house swiftly, which was a wise decision, given that they would catch a cold because of the weather. Once inside, Alice took off her scarlet jacket and hung it near the door. Ara’s house is really big, especially that the only residents were Ara and her dog; Bambi – yes, I know, it’s a doe’s name. “Surprise!” Alice exclaimed as she revealed the cake that she bought and hid behind her back. “Wow! Let me guess, Is that a strawberry cake?” Ara asked. “Bingo~!” Alice exclaimed as she undid the box, revealing the luscious dessert. Ara’s eyes sparkled like the stars in the night sky and her lips figured a sweet smile upon hearing Alice’s response. If you were Alice, you won’t be able to do anything but just smile back to Ara’s giddy image. “Good job, Joohee. Good job.” Alice mumbled in her thoughts as she smiled back. “I’ll go prepare our drinks. Is coffee alright?” Ara said with a clap of her hands before going towards the kitchen, leaving Alice alone with her white great piano in the living room.

Moments later, Ara came back with their drinks and sat down on the couch beside her bestfriend. “How are you Joohee-yah?” asked Ara while she was handing her coffee. “I’m fine, just a bit tired and stressed. I didn’t know being an idol was this tiring!” Alice replied with a soft chuckle. The girls took a slice of the cake apiece; Alice was so happy to see her bestfriend in a blissful state as she was eating the cake. It had been always like this; she was contented as long as Ara was happy and it has always been making Ara happy that mattered. “Joohee-yah” Ara called the other girl, she was still smiling but it was not her usual smile, it was one which took Alice in surprise. If I were to describe it, it was like staring at the sun; bright and warm.

“Do you still remember the dream that I told you about?” Ara asked in her angelic voice. “Hmm. The one where you were lost in a forest?” Alice replied while tilting her head, her voice unsure. “Yes. I was all alone; it was terrifying. And to fight the fear, I sang. It was almost a nightmare; almost. Until that girl popped out from nowhere”, Ara’s smile now more evident. “But why are you telling me this again?” Alice asked; she still can’t figure what’s going inside the other girl’s mind. “That girl… I’ve met her… She’s our classmate – Kim Hyelim.” Ara stated. It took Alice a few moments to process Ara’s last statement, until she was able to mutter: “W-What?! But you had that dream before school started, right? How could that be?” Alice was flabbergasted. “I do not know myself, but I’m happy that she was real; that she was not a product of my mind’s weaving.” answered Ara. “I want to know her more…” Ara added, and the room was filled with utter silence.

Minutes passed as the girls just nibbled their cake without breaking the silence. “Calm down Joohee. She’s just curious about that dream. There’s nothing more to it. Don’t think too much. Don’t even think of getting jealous!” Alice yelled in the back of her head. Suddenly, Ara flinched from her position and leaned towards the her, she was taken aback by the other girl’s sudden action; her heartbeat paced faster. Their faces were now just inches from each other and Alice found herself glaring at Ara’s lips; tempted. “A-Ara…?” she muttered, but in her thoughts she said: “Damn! What’s wrong with you Ara? You’re making it hard for me!”. In a swift motion, Ara’s fingers traced off Alice’s lips; she wiped them clean from the cake’s icing. “You’re eating too greedily Joohee-yah!” Ara said with a soft chuckle as she drew back from her position. “T-Thanks.” Alice stuttered. “Damn! Damn it, Ara!” she yelled in her head out of frustration from what just happened. I must say that I can’t really blame Alice.

It was afternoon when Alice decided to go, but they decided take a walk first and drop by the park before bidding their goodbyes. They walked side by side just like old times, and everyone that passed them by turned their heads to catch a second glimpse and stare at their striking image. Well, it can’t be helped; two queens were out in the open. They sat on a free bench in one corner of the park and started reminiscing about the past. They laughed and chuckled about as they told stories of moments that they shared. It was quite a sight, I must say. Time flew fast as the two girls were having fun; the sun was nearing its setting. And so, they decided to bid their goodbyes. “Thank you for today, Ara! I really missed spending the weekends with you. Blame my schedules!” Alice said in a teasing manner. “Babo, you’re living your dream. It’s a cheap price to pay.” Ara said with a soft chuckle. “Cheap? If you only knew…” murmured Alice in her mind. “Goodbye Joohee-yah, see you on Monday. I love you!” Ara said as she hugged the other girl. Alice hugged back and said: “Goodbye. I love you too!”. “I love you!” Alice shouted in her thoughts. They gestured a final wave as they part from each other.

As Ara turned around, she was surprised to see a familiar figure approaching. And after a few steps, the familiar figure was standing parallel to her a meter away.

Ara’s lips figured a smile.

“Hyelim-shi”