Chapter 6 - That Rain, That Song

Dreamscape

Lime was on her way to the convenient store to buy something that her mother needed. On her way, she passed by the park, and from a distance she saw two familiar feminine figures. As she was approaching, the figures waved at each other and parted. And on Lime’s final steps, her heartbeat started to fasten its pace; she knew this familiar feeling. And when the girl turned around she said: “Hyelim-shi”, it was Ara. “Annyeong, Yoo Ara-shi.” replied Lime with a deep bow. “There’s no need to be so formal and bow to me.” stated Ara with a soft chuckle. “O-Oh… I-I’m sorry…” Lime said, her wit starting to be disrupted once more. “Are you busy? Can we talk for a few minutes? We never talk in school.” Ara offered with a smile that no one can resist; especially Lime. “N-no, I’m free.” Lime replied. Then, Ara turned around and walked towards the bench that she and Alice sat on; Lime followed her tracks.

As the girls sat down, the Sun’s glory was already setting. They sat beside each other for minutes just watching the Sun’s glorious rays engulf everything in the park before it took its slumber. “Isn’t it beautiful?” Ara asked, referring to the breathtaking scenery in front of them. Lime turned her head towards Ara because of the sudden question, her eyes surveyed Ara’s perfection; this was the closest she ever saw Ara. “It is beautiful.” she replied, her eyes still glued to Ara. “Do you remember the first time we met, Hyelim-shi?” Ara asked after turning her head towards Lime so that they were now looking at each other. “Uhmm. It was on the school grounds, the morning of the first day, right?” Lime answered, bowing her head, she did not tell the truth; that she first saw Ara on her dreams. “So… That was it for you…” Ara mumbled under her breath, looking away from Lime. “What do you mean?” a confused Lime asked. A few minutes of silence filled the park coupled with a thick air of awkwardness. Once again, Ara broke the silence: “Believe it or not, I have met you beforehand; in my dream…”

Lime’s astonishment when she heard Ara’s last sentence was incomprehensible that I cannot put it into words; but I will try my best. Her eyes widened, her world started spinning, she wanted to speak and ask questions, but her voice she cannot find, and her whole body was numb; she was in a state of Limbo. Suddenly, dark clouds engulfed the sky and it started to drizzle. Lime’s senses converged when the cold raindrops grazed her skin. “Omo. It’s raining.” Lime yelled as she stood up; the pouring rain was getting stronger. “Let’s go!” added Lime as she took Ara’s hand unknowingly and dragged her. “Where are we going?” Ara asked with a smile painted on her face. “To my place. You’ll be drenched wet if you go in this hard rain.” replied Lime. The Kim’s place wasn’t that far from the park, just a few blocks away. Only when they arrived at the Kim’s doorstep did Lime realize that she was holding Ara by the hand, she immediately let go; her face flushed red. “D-Deureowayo” Lime said.

“I’m back!” Lime yelled as they entered the house. “Hyelim-ah! Faster! Dinner is ready!” shouted her mom all the way from the dining room. “Mom, this is my classmate. I came across her on my way when the rain suddenly poured” Lime explained to her mother. “Annyeonghaseyo, Yoo Ara imnida.” Ara introduced herself and bowed with such elegance that Mrs. Kim was awestruck. “What a pretty lady! I wish our Hyelim was as beautiful as you!” Mrs. Kim complimented. “But I believe that Hyelim-shi is also beautiful!” Ara exclaimed in response which made Lime’s cheeks burn hot red. “But you gals are soaked! Better dry yourselves with a towel. Hyelim-ah, help out Ara-yah! And call down Youngie while you’re at it.” Mrs. Kim demanded. Lime left Ara on the living room to get towels and to call Yooyoung from her room. Moments later, Yooyoung came down ahead of her unnie; she was surprised to see one of the Queens of Pledis on their living room. “Sunbae-nim!” she blurted in surprise. “Annyeong” Ara replied with a warm smile. Then, Lime came down with the towels and handed one to Ara. As the girls were drying theirselves, Yooyoung and her mother was preparing the dining table. “Hyelim-ah, Ara-yah, dinner is ready!” Mrs. Kim called.

After dinner, the rain was stronger than how fared earlier which made Ara stay for the night. This was pure coincidence readers, that is, if coincidences do exist. Ara and Lime went to the latter’s room, it was a nice room, Ara thought; it was neat and comfortable, a study table was beside Lime’s bed, a keyboard was in another corner, and through the window was a nice view of the sky, but not at the moment since the sky is currently filled with dark rain clouds. “You can sleep on my bed, Yoo Ara-shi, I’ll just sleep on the floor.” stated Lime. “First, can we drop the honorifics? Just call me Ara, okay?” demanded Ara as she head towards the keyboard. “Uhmm. Okay, you can call me Lime then.” the green-haired girl replied. Ara started playing a few scores when she said: “And we can sleep on one bed, I don’t want you to catch a cold because of me”. Lime felt her blood rush once again to her cheeks as the thought came to her mind. Ara started playing Patchelbel’s Canon, it made Lime remember their moment at the clubroom. She stood up and sat down in front of her study table and took a pen and paper. Ara noticed that Lime was jotting down something, so she asked: “Lime-ah, What are you writing?”. “Nevermind this! It’s nothing!” Lime replied in a flustered way, for she was writing a song about Ara.

After a few minutes, Ara decided to rest: “Good night, Lime-ah.” she said as she went towards the bed. She lied comfortably at the other girl’s bed; but she cannot sleep out of curiosity, so she feinted her sleep with the hope of finding out what was Lime doing. A few moments later, Lime stood up from her chair and went to the keyboard. She started playing something that sounded like Pachelbel’s Canon. No, it was Canon, Ara was sure; Lime just rearranged it a bit. Lime struck the keys for the second time; and this time around she was singing along:

 

Jeonyeog haega jin hue eodumi naerin hue

Nareul jibeuro deryeoda juseyo

Beolsseo he eojigin sirheoyo

Nal jom deo algo sipnayo

Geureomyeon deureo waseo cha masillaeyo?


 

 

Cha masillaeyo? **Deureo wayo

Gati itgo sipeo neowa na duriseo

Jibeuro oneun naenae gomin haesseo

Na babo cheoreom seo itji malgo dagawa**


 

 

meonjeo nunchichae jumyeon joheul tende


 

 

Translation:

After the evening sun sets, after the darkness falls

Will you take me home?

I don’t want to say goodbye yet, do you want to get to know me more?

Then do you want to come in and have some tea?


Want to have some tea? **Come on in

I want to be with you alone together

I thought hard about this on our way home

Don’t just stand there like a fool and come to me**


 

 

It would be nice if you would notice this first


 

 

** is rap.

 

 

Ara knew for once that this song for her. She can clearly envision it all: that time on the clubroom, that time on the park and this time at Lime’s room.

Not too long, Ara fell asleep with a wide smile painted on her face.