A New Start: 5

The End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungyeol gets off the phone with Sungjong and turns around to face Myungsoo. It was a coincidence that Sungyeol circled around the block to arrive back to where he was dropped off by his taxi to see Myungsoo stepping out of his own taxi at the same time.

 

Woohyun’s restaurant is in a neighborhood up a quiet hill where cars usually can’t find parking or get even get through. The streets are small and the neighborhood is quaint.Taxis are used to dropping off customers at the bottom of the hill, all leaving people at the same street corner to avoid the tight streets leading up to the popular restaurant.

 

Sungyeol wanted to make sure he (and Myungsoo now) wouldn’t get lost like he did earlier so he decided to call Sungjong to confirm walking directions before they take off walking again (even though Myungsoo knew how to get there by the plenty of times they’ve dined there).

 

“Sorry, it's not that I don’t believe you. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t circle around the same block for the 20th time,” Sungyeol says as he walks beside Myungsoo. He keeps a comfortable distance between them.

 

“It’s okay, ” Myungsoo says shortly and he slowly beats himself up for not knowing how to follow up. It's like his mind is shutting off all questions that he could possibly ask and he’s left with just replies.

 

Sungyeol senses the quietness was a bit awkward so he decides to start asking questions to alleviate it. Sungyeol braces himself trying not to seem too familiar with Myungsoo because it’s been so long since they were together and Myungsoo seems like he’s okay with the distance considering how he’s quiet as ever.

 

Surprisingly, he feels okay about this encounter and it comes easy to him to be distant with the other. Of course he was surprised to meet Myungsoo again coincidentally but he realized that this was bound to happen since they have similar friends. And if they were possibly going to work together, he has to get used to it now. Aside from that, it’s been 3 years. A lot has changed and Myungsoo feels like a stranger now.

 

The entire time Sungyeol was talking to Myungsoo, Myungsoo could feel the distance in the words that Sungyeol was using.

 

“So what do you do at your job?”

 

“Do you like your job?”

 

“How long have you been working there?”

 

“Have you worked with a lot of other photographers?”

 

They were all questions about his job and nothing else. It was uncomfortable and bothered him a lot but there was nothing he could do. He’s been in a quiet mess after meeting Sungyeol coincidentally at his photography firm the day before.

 

All Myungsoo could literally think about was Sungyeol. He called Sunggyu to make extra sure, and then had to call Hoya, that it was really Sungyeol that he had met.

 

Once he was sure, all he wanted to do was desperately talk to the other man, wanted to know what he’s been up to but he couldn’t bring himself to.

 

He didn’t know how to begin or even what to say because the way they left things wasn’t exactly the best - even if he was the one that initiated it.

 

They’re half way up the hill now and Sungyeol stops asking Myungsoo questions about his job.

 

Myungsoo stops to look at Sungyeol as the other man pulls out his phone. The phone vibrates in Sungyeol’s hands and the light suddenly flashes. Myungsoo could spot for a short second a picture of a pretty woman on the screen. Myungsoo could feel his curiosity peeking uneasily.

 

Sungyeol apologizes and turns around to pick it up.

 

“Hello? … Ah Minkyung Noona, yeah I’m about to meet up with the others for dinner…. No…. Yeah…. Uh huh….” Sungyeol’s voice sounds so attractively deep, and softly laughs at something on the phone.

 

Myungsoo turns around to stare aimlessly at a random lamp post to try to give Sungyeol privacy - but at the same time, his ears are eagerly listening.

 

He’s curious as to why Sungyeol sounds so familiar talking to his woman. He wonders if they’re together and he starts to feel his chest tightening, he’s upset.

 

But right when Sungyeol says his farewells on the phone and stuffs his phone back into his pocket, Myungsoo turns around trying to tell himself that he has no right to be upset - or even jealous.

 

Myungsoo looks at Sungyeol who still has a lingering smile from the call and can’t help but still feel upset even when his mind is telling him he has no right to be.

 

“Sorry, lets hurry,” Sungyeol turns to look at Myungsoo oblivious at how the other feels and Myungsoo accepts his suggestion.

 

The rest of the walk was in silence. Sungyeol wasn’t trying to think too much of anything about this situation right now, he doesn’t want to get himself emotionally tired. It’s been a long time since he’s felt so vulnerable and cautious, Sungyeol thinks to himself as he realizes that he’s been trying too hard to not be emotionally there with Myungsoo - almost sort of like mirroring the other’s actions.

 

When Sungyeol and Myungsoo finally find the restaurant, they see Hoya and Dongwoo outside the front door fidgeting.

 

Dongwoo is squatting on the ground tossing rocks at the street wall parallel to them. Hoya kicks Dongwoo after noticing Sungyeol and Myungsoo in the distance.

 

“They’re here,” Hoya whispers as he fakes a smile nervously towards the two, “They’re here,” He repeats,

 

“And they’re not fighting, thank god,” Hoya abruptly stops talking to wave.

 

Dongwoo gets up quickly and waves nervously as well.

 

“Heeeeeey guys,” Dongwoo greets them as he locks arms with Sungyeol.

 

“How ya been buddy? We missed you,” Dongwoo continues as he pulls a confused Sungyeol quickly into the restaurant.

 

Myungsoo watches Dongwoo rushing Sungyeol into the restaurant away from them and raises an eyebrow curious when Hoya stands in his way from entering as well.

 

“Sorry, Soo,” Hoya says and Myungsoo frowns confused now.

 

“For?”

 

“Uh,” Hoya tries to think of how to put what he’s going to say next and continues when it comes to him, “You know, for uh, putting you in this position right now,”

 

Myungsoo unfrowns and looks blankly at Hoya.

 

“Oh,” is all Myungsoo could really say. He can see why it would be awkward that he’s here at Sungyeol’s welcome back party. He actually didn’t really think about it. He was too eager to see the other man again after their short run in.

 

“Should I leave?” Myungsoo asks thinking that Sungyeol seems to be okay with him. Sungyeol was being unbearably distant to Myungsoo’s dislike but it’s understandable. Myungsoo ed up and things have changed a lot.

 

Hoya shakes his head frantically trying to not make his friend feel bad.

 

“Oh no! It’s okay! Lets just go inside for now,”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter