The Middle

The End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

High School was that awkward time where everyone struggles to find out who they really are, what they aspire to, and who they want to become. Myungsoo and Sungyeol struggled the hardest probably out of everyone in their friend group.

Myungsoo knew what he wanted to do but he didn’t know who he was or who he wanted to be.

Sungyeol on the other hand knew clearly who he was and who he wanted to be but didn’t know what to do.

The first year that Myungsoo and Sungyeol met, they had grown so close to each other in such a short amount of time. Myungsoo didn’t know why but he was so drawn to this boy in ways he’s never been drawn to another person before. Myungsoo would always find himself following Sungyeol around and Sungyeol would always openly acknowledge the boy’s presence never questioning him. It made Myungsoo sometimes feel awkward because it was weird.

Sungyeol is weird.

Why isn’t he creeped out by now was what Myungsoo was always wondering.

“Hey Myungsoo,” Sungyeol stops in his tracks and turns around to face Myungsoo who is following him around as usual. Sungyeol (as usual) was running around trying to not be late to his club meetings.

Myungsoo stops in his tracks and looks up to Sungyeol’s face. He was staring at Sungyeol’s shoes just now admiring the swift movements the boy in front of him made.

“Hmm?”

“Don’t you have something else to do than follow me around?” Sungyeol tilts his head slightly asking Myungsoo curiously. Myungsoo stares at the other not knowing how to answer him because he doesn’t know himself and shrugs.

“Not really,”

“Oh,” Sungyeol chuckles and shakes his head, “Sometimes I wonder what you were doing before I transferred here,”  Sungyeol says to himself more than questioning the other. Myungsoo smiles and Sungyeol smiles back at him. Sungyeol takes a second before sighing while turning around to go to his club meeting because he’s late. And Myungsoo continues to follow him without saying another word.

At first, Sungjong and Sunggyu were skeptical that their stone hearted friend started to warm up quickly to someone that wasn’t them. They both knew how hard it was for Myungsoo to warm up to people and he even grew a reputation in school for being known as an ice prince. They noticed how Myungsoo would have this derpy lopsided smile and stare at nothing or stare at this tall boy down the hall and thought that this tall boy named Sungyeol probably casted a spell on Myungsoo making him all funny or maybe Myungsoo really had gone insane from being a genius and all.

But they quickly changed their minds when they actually met Sungyeol. That day Sungyeol had called out to Myungsoo down the hall and asked for help on an assignment. That was when Sungyeol introduced himself to Sungjong and Sunggyu and with that, the two soon also became fond of their cheery doe eyed friend like Myungsoo.

But fond in a different way where they cherished the fragile boy. The four of them flourished and their friendship became something that was very precious.

 It was then when Myungsoo found out that Woohyun, Dongwoo, and Hoya (other 3 students who were known in their fields of study Woohyun for his culinary skills, Dongwoo for his dancing skills, and Hoya for his musical producing and rapping skills) were Sungyeol’s childhood friends.

Myungsoo felt a little out of place now with his growing circle of friends. They were all in the music or art department while Myungsoo was more in the business and science department; he only took one class that wasn’t related to science or business and that was photography whom he had in common with Sungyeol because Sungyeol was curious about all types of art.

But that was alright because the 7 of them stuck together no matter what with Sungyeol being the glue that held them so tight together and with Myungsoo tightly holding onto Sungyeol.

Their first year together consisted of so many great moments of all of them building their friendship.

Their second year of high school was full of stress.

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Woohyun were graduating soon since they were a year older than Sungyeol and Myungsoo while Sungjong studied madly just to try to catch up to his hyungs.

For Myungsoo and Sungyeol, it was their second to last year before graduating but in all of the busy schedules and stress, they still found time to meet with each other and continued to make memories.

With that, Myungsoo finally grew enough courage to confess to Sungyeol. Needless to say that it took a lot for him to finally figure out that all this affection he has for this boy wasn’t just only friendship but something more.

Myungsoo was scared to admit it. He was scared because first of all his parents would highly disapprove of him going off track of what he’s being expected of and secondly because Sungyeol seemed so straight and it was true.

Sungyeol was very straight. He would look at girls and he even dated a few but with Myungsoo’s confession (thanks to Sungjong and Sunggyu’s nagging of course), Sungyeol embraced it with open arms and accepted him.

“Hey Myungsoo, what do you think about this?” Sungyeol holds up his sketch of a deer. They’re sitting side by side in the library sketching away during their lunch break. Myungsoo looks at the deer drawing and smiles.

“It’s cute,”

“Really? You don’t think it looks too cartoonish? I’m trying to make it look as real as possible!”

“It looks great, really.” Sungyeol beams at the boy next to him and sets his sketch book down.

“What are you drawing?” Sungyeol tries to peer over to where Myungsoo was sketching. Myungsoo puts his arm over his drawing and shakes his head.

“You’ll laugh,”

“Oh hush, no I won’t!” Sungyeol pulls on Myungsoo’s arm but he doesn’t budge.

“I’m serious,”

“I’m serious too!” Sungyeol stares firmly at Myungsoo making sure the boy understands he’s not kidding and Myungsoo stares back. It then hits Myungsoo that they’re so close to each other. Sungyeol’s hand placed nicely on his arm while their faces are basically cenitmeters apart. Myungsoo’s breathing hitches and he looks away blushing. Sungyeol takes this chance and slides the sketch book out from under Myungsoo’s arm.

“Oh?” Sungyeol stares curiously at the drawing and something about the drawing of this person looks familiar.

“Wait,” Sungyeol stares closer at the drawing, “Is this supposed to be me?” Sungyeol chuckles and Myungsoo blushes even more.

“Stop laughing, you said you wouldn’t.” Myungsoo tries to grab for his book back but Sungyeol stretches his arm out so it’s out of Myungsoo’s reach.

“It’s cute,” Sungyeol says breathlessly as he laughs at Myungsoo’s attempt to try to reach over him and grab the book.

“Sungyeol,” Myungsoo says sitting back into his seat and glaring at the boy in front of him.

“Okay okay,” Sungyeol hands the book back and Myungsoo hugs it, “I like it Myungsoo, it does me justice,” Myungsoo shakes his head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter