A New Start: 3

The End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungyeol steps out of the taxi and stares up at the familiar building. It’s dark now and he hasn’t been home in a very long time, 3 years to be exact.

He drags his suitcase up the stairs past the wall of mailboxes and to the elevators. He had finished everything that he needed to do for the day and decided it’s about time he returned to his humble home.

He steps into the elevator and almost forgets what floor he lives on but his finger instinctively presses the number 5 and the door closes. He leans on the cold metal frame of the elevator and suddenly he remembers how he accidentally bumped into Myungsoo that afternoon.

He closes his eyes resting them as the elevators begin to go up slowly and he remembers the smell of Myungsoo’s cologne when he stood next to him. He remembers feeling Myungsoo’s stares and remembers how the other boy used to look at him like that.

Literally nothing about Myungsoo has changed. He still has the same face, the same style, the same smell, the same attitude. Sungyeol doesn’t know whether he feels happy or not about this.

As the doors ping and open, Sungyeol opens his eyes and steps out. He wonders if he’ll see the other boy more often. He knows that his heart will always have a place for Myungsoo but for some reason he doesn’t feel anything particularly strong anymore. He’s not sure if it’s because he’s completely forgotten about the boy, if he’s really moved on, or if it’s because he’s become so numb towards everything involving Myungsoo.

He decides to forget about it and deal with it when the time comes because really now, he’s turning 26 soon and has other things to worry about. He’s moved on for the most part and forgiven everything that has happened in the past for the better. He has other things to preoccupy himself with, like finishing his internship term and finally getting the job at the museum.

He feels his eyes falter a bit and he feels so tired. He doesn’t even know why. It’s not like he did anything crazy today compared to what he went through in Europe. He’s gone through busier days and for some reason he just feels so fatigued and can’t wait to hop into his old bed. He hopes it feels the same.

He wrinkles his nose in distaste realizing how he doesn’t like feeling so uncertain about everything all of a sudden. He walks down the hall and turns left to face the familiar door. He digs into his pocket and fishes out his key and as he opens the door, he steps inside and flips on the lights.

It flickers slightly and he sees that his furniture is still covered in the white coverings. He smiles though as he sees that his plants are still alive and his mail is sorted neatly on the kitchen table.

Thanks to Sunggyu hyung probably since he’s the most responsible and reliable out of the other bunch. He makes a quick note to himself to thank Sunggyu hyung.

But first, maybe he should tell them that he’s actually back before they kill him for keeping that little secret, well, secret.

He puts his keys on top of the table next to his door and shuts the door behind him. He pulls out his phone as he drags his luggage to his old bedroom and turns on the lights with his elbow as he tries to find Sunggyu’s number in his phone.  He stops midway and frowns to himself thinking that he forgot something very important. He then shrugs it off not able think of what he had forgotten.

The light turns on in his room and he leaves his luggage in the door way as he pulls the white cover over his bed. He then balances his phone on his shoulder as he walks to his closet and pulls out a new bed sheet and tries to put it on his bed. The phone rings a couple times but then goes straight to voice mail.

“This is Kim Sunggyu, you know what to do,” A beep follows and Sungyeol chuckles.

“Hey hyung, it’s Sungyeollie,” Sungyeol pauses a bit as he fumbles with trying to put pillow cases on his pillows and then continues, “I’m back from Europe, just wanted to let you know.”

He then gets another call interrupting his current one and he hangs up his call to Sunggyu ending his voicemail and picks up the other line.

“Missed me already huh,”

“Who said anything about missing you. I wanted to make sure you didn’t mess up on delivering things to my precious museum,” Minkyung snaps at Sungyeol and he laughs. He throws his fresh pillows back onto the bed and flops onto it face first. He sighs into his pillow relaxing his body and thinks to himself that he could probably just die and go to heaven now. His bed is so heavenly.

“What’s wrong?” He hears Minkyung’s voice soften and he smiles even more into his pillow. He can always count on Minkyung to read his mind.

“Nothing,”

“What’s wrong?” She repeats herself but sounds more assertive this time. Sungyeol contemplates if he should tell her about seeing Myungsoo because he doesn’t know if that’s why he feels so tired or if it’s because of the long plane ride. He knows that Minkyung isn’t fond of the boy since Sungyeol spent so many nights feeling so broken and homesick because of the thoughts of the other boy and what happened before he left.  He only left 2 months afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter