A New Start: 1

The End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungyeol frowns as he hears his loud piercing ringtone of Trouble Maker ring cryptically somewhere from his room. He rolls onto his stomach stuffing his face into his pillow and slings his arm over to the bedside. His hand hits the bedside table and he feels around the table without opening his eyes to search for his annoying phone that won’t shut up.

He doesn’t open his eyes and when he finds it, he slides his finger over the touch screen to unlock the phone while clicking the speaker button. He puts it next to his pillow and turns his face in the direction of his phone.

“This is Lee Sungyeol,” He muffles through his pillow with his hair messy in his face. His hair has grown out a lot and slightly touches his shoulder now. He reminds himself quickly to get a haircut sometime this week.

“Lee Sungyeol! Don’t tell me you’re still asleep! You have your flight to catch back to Korea in 4 hours and you still haven’t picked up the last files yet! Where are you!?” The familiar voice nags at him and he sits up on his bed groggily.

“Minkyung noona, it’s too early for this,” Sungyeol says slowly slurring his words a bit. He’s still not fully awake yet. His eyes are slowly slipping close when he tries to open them and his head bobs forward a bit.

It’s not his fault he’s still sleepy. It’s the museum’s staff’s fault for giving him a farewell party. He was finally going back to Korea after 3 years of interning abroad in Europe. In some ways, he was excited to go back yet at the same time, he feels sad to part with the place and the people he’s become so fond of.

“Are you still drunk? Yah! Lee Sungyeol!” Minkyung shouts on the phone and that wakes Sungyeol up.

“I’m not drunk,” Sungyeol swings his legs over his bed and picks up his phone turning off speaker. He places it next to his ear and rubs his eyes lazily. He then sighs when he takes a glance around his empty room. He’s packed up everything, everything from the paintings that he’d bought from local artists to the random papers lying around on his desk, only his huge white bed sits in this empty room and he can’t help but feel a little nostalgic. 

“Noona, can’t you just drop off the files at my apartment? It’s only 5 blocks away. You know, this is my last request, who knows when you’ll get to see your favorite intern again,” Sungyeol says smiling to himself knowing well enough the reply the other would give him. It was still worth a try though. He gets up and walks to his bathroom.

“Now don’t you give me that! Just because I told you I’ll miss you a little doesn’t mean you get to slack off on your last day of duty here!”

“Noona, please,” Sungyeol whines and he hears a huff on the other line of the phone.

“I’m giving you one hour to run your scrawny to the museum and pick up these files and get your ready to hop on that plane to Korea!” Sungyeol chuckles balancing the phone on his shoulder and chin while trying to squeeze what’s left of his tooth paste onto his toothbrush.

“I’m just kidding, noona. I’ll be there soon,”

“Good! I’ll see you soon then!” Minkyung shouts and then hangs up the phone. Sungyol sets his phone next to his sink and smiles at his reflection.

He’s finally going back to Korea. He wonders how everyone has grown and he wonders if anything has changed since he was gone or last talked to them. Being an intern at one of the largest museums in Europe was hard. There were so many things to be done and he hasn’t talked to anyone back in Korea for months now. He hasn’t even seen any of them since his last birthday and he wonders if they all look the same.

Although he does get emails from them sometimes with pictures and videos, it’s not the same as seeing them or talking to them in person.

Sungyeol sighs as a name flashes in his memory. He then remembers what happened before he left and wonders if that person has changed.

It’s been 3 years. 3 years since they’ve broken up and 3 years since he’s seen or ever talked to him.

Sungyeol then sighs again stuffing his mouth with his toothbrush and brushes away. He wonders if everyone will be happy to see him. After all, he hasn’t even told anyone he was coming back.

Sungyeol arrives to the museum in record time and when he enters the building the security guard nods at him and he smiles waving at the familiar man.

He walks to the front desk and sees Minkyung on the phone while scribbling something furiously down onto her notepad. She’s the only one standing between two other employees which is normal since she’s usually the one running around the museum checking on things. He stops a couple feet away from the desk to try to memorize this moment, this place, the smell, the lightening, he wants to remember everything about this museum.

Minkyung hangs up the phone after a while and looks up to see Sungyeol staring at her with a lopsided smile and she shakes her head.

“Yah, get over here before someone thinks that you have an unrequited crush on me,” She says loudly and Sungyeol laughs as he walks over to her.

Minkyung hands him the brief case full of files he’s going to have to deliver to the museum in Korea and he takes it out of her hands while still smiling. She ignores the endearing smile on his face and opens up a folder she has in her other hand. She then stands next to him and with a forceful hand, she turns his head from looking at her to down looking at the folder she has in her hand.

“Remember to drop by the company that I have written down for you right when you land. The address is here,” Minkyung points to the purple sticky note with neat handwriting on it on the paper in front of them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter