If You Fly, You'll Fall

Antidepressant

 

I met Minseok when I was three weeks into my depression. I first “met” him at the school’s library one day I was trying to concentrate on reading a physics book. The words in the book just blurred together and made no sense at all. People around me didn’t notice my trouble with reading the book, so I accidentally fell asleep upon it. I’d slept terribly the day before and my brain couldn’t even focus in the first lesson I had that day. I still couldn’t believe that I had managed to stay awake for so long.

When I woke up again everyone had already left. I felt even more lonely at that time; all alone, confused and helpless. I looked around to see if there at least was one person left, but there wasn’t. When I turned back to my book, I noticed a pink sticky note on the table.

‘To Luhan.

I like you and I want to date you.’

Underneath the text there were scribbled down a lot of numbers and it took me half a minute to figure out that it was a phone number. One and a half weeks went before I pulled myself together and eventually called him. I told him to meet up, because I wanted to tell him face to face. I only knew it was a boy who wanted to date me when he picked up the phone. He stuttered, but we eventually agreed on meeting at the rooftop.

 

 

I looked out over the busy streets of Seoul, leaning over the short chain link fence when Minseok came.

“That’s dangerous, you know,” he stuttered as he came closer. He always stuttered when we came to know each other. He was so cute and I really thought he could get me out of this depression that had occupied my mind; my own kind of antidepressant.

I looked over my shoulder before I turned around to let my body lean against the fence instead. I wanted to sit on it, but that would probably just freak Minseok out. I tried to get eye contact with him, but he avoided my gaze. I smirked, but not really because it amused me.

“Do you ever think about how life would be without feelings?” I asked curiously. I tried to look for a reaction, but nothing got displayed. He still kept his gaze low and focused on his nervous feet.

“I sometimes do,” Minseok confessed and then he looked up at me. “I actually wish I had no feelings right now.”

I smirked again and that was very much against what I wanted to express. “And why’s that?”

He made sure to have eye contact with me before he continued. “Because I’m afraid you’ll reject me.”

I turned away from him and leaned over the fence again. I let my stomach rest against the rail and my arms dangled in the free air. “Do you ever wonder about how it would feel like to fly?”

Minseok moved hesitantly closer to me and let his own body rest against the rail. I looked at him from the corner of my eye and saw that he’d crossed his arms in front of his chest. He looked the same way I did; at the scenery in front of our eyes.

“I do.”

I smiled and focused on what was in front of me; the busy city. “How do you think it would feel like?”

He didn’t answer my question for a few minutes. We just looked at the view, felt the light breeze play with out hair and felt our eyes dry out, but only to get wet again when we blinked.

“It would be cold,” he finally answered after two minutes of absolute silence, except for the wind and some honking. “We would be free and no one could hold us back.”

I merely nodded and continued to look at the town. I could hear Minseok’s breathing and it had slowed down since he first came. I could feel that he was expecting me to say something, but for now I just wanted to look at the town. It probably made him even more nervous than he already was, but that was just my own way of teasing; my own weird way of teasing.

“But what if you fall? Fall down from the sky?” I asked and let my back rest against the rail. I still had the urge to jump up and sit on the rail; it made me feel free and I felt lighter because I didn’t touch the ground.

Minseok continued to look out over Seoul. I noticed he didn’t really pay attention to my position, so I slowly placed my on the rail, made a little jump and let my feet hang in the air.

“I believe that if you fall,” Minseok began, flipping his hair a bit to the side, but it just moved back into place, “ you just have to believe that you’ll land safely and not begin to fall again.”

I nodded and inspected Minseok. He looked cute, that’s for sure, but he also looked slightly sad. He was kind of chubby, but not in a disgusting kind of way. He was average, nothing exciting about him, but I considered it. I considered being his partner.

“Yes,” I said and Minseok clearly noticed that I wasn’t talking about the topic we’d just talked about. He craned his neck slightly to the side and looked curiously at me. I smiled and tried not to make it too sad. “I want to date you.”

Minseok suddenly lightened up and he looked like a little puppy that saw its owner come through the front door after a long workday.

“But,” I said and killed his excitement with a single word, “I have a depression, just to let you know.”

Minseok nodded, lower lip between his teeth and he looked so sincerely happy. I couldn’t help but let the corners of my mouth go slightly upwards.

 

 


A/N: And from here on the story gets ed up~ ^^

Congrats EXO for winning twice!! I'm so proud :)