Six

Chasing Winter

 

 

“ Perhaps I am. We all are... The seasons are crazy with loneliness” He said in her ear, his voice calm yet it made her shiver on the inside.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“ No...”

 

 

She spoke after a while, steeling up her resole when she felt his trembles become more frequent. After that, She was able to detach herself from Woohyun’s embrace and her eyes locked on his hands where his fingertips turned blue. That made her look away.

 

 

“ No?” Woohyun asked softly.

 

 

“ No, I don’t get lonely. Not anymore.” She spoke as her eyes hardened, her emotions masked completely but Woohyun saw through it.

 

 

“ Lies. I have seen you wandering around all alone. I have seen the look in your eyes. How lonely you get for being all alone. “ He spoke and his words only made her angry more than comforted her.

 

 

“ What do you know about being lonely Woohyun? Huh? You’re Spring!  Everywhere you go life follows!... I am the personification of Winter. I am the cold. I was meant to be alone! “ She said with a raised voice but her eyes were misting with unshed tears and Woohyun could feel his heart break.

 

 

“ I am so sure that everything around us here...” She rotated her body a complete turn to indicate her point as she continued:

 

 

“ Everything  around this place: the river, the trees and all the other things that used to live here cannot wait for me to leave and for you to take over so that everything will be alive again. You’re what they really want... It’s almost the end of my time anyway” She finished weekly and sure enough, Woohyun’s body began glowing a faint orange as the ice around him began melting rapidly and she began to see the solid ground.

 

 

“ See what I mean” She motioned weakly at his feet as she started to feel warm. She couldn’t stay there much longer.

 

 

“ That’s not true. I think you are looking at things the wrong way” Woohyun replied,  a wistful smile on his handsome face. Winter looked at him confusedly.

 

 

“ I don’t understand” Woohyun shook his head as he smiled a little at her confused expression. She was so adorable.

 

 

“  You think that you bring death and loneliness to those around you chose to be alone” Woohyun stated.

 

 

“ But the way I see it is that every time you come, you give all those around you a chance to rest. A reprieve. For without you’re ice and snow, their life could never begin again. How the river whispers its awe every time your crystal drops takeover”  He said with an honest smile and a single tear fell from Winter’s eyes as his words dawned on her.

 

 

But still, the belief that she had ingrained in her mind for so long ago refuses to let go of it’s hold on her as he finds his words hard to believe. And so, She backs away from him wanting as much distance as possible.

 

 

“ Lies...” she muttered.

 

 

“ I would never lie to you” Woohyun reassured her with a gentle gaze and an honest smile.

 

 

“ Why are you doing this? Why are you saying these things to me Woohyun? Just leave me alone! You have never bothered with me before, What changed now?”  She her voice high and her grey eyes cold. But Woohyun shook his head and she caught a glimpse of foreign emotion in his eyes.

 

 

 

Was it melancholy?

 

 

 

“ That’s where your wrong again” he said with a sad smile.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Few more and this is finished!

Thanks to all of you!